PDA

View Full Version : Home Backup Generator

PopcornSutton
01-06-2024, 12:51 PM
I'm looking at two makes/models, both are 8750 watt inverter, WEN GN875i and Champion 100520. Not looking to power the whole house, just a few circuits and well pump. Anyone familiar with either one/brand?

ascast
01-06-2024, 01:07 PM
no but you have the right idea I think. Have you looked into an inverter that your car runs to power those same circuits? I know they are out there. I went with a genny so as to take to camp etc.

Dom
01-06-2024, 01:43 PM
I'm going with a portable solar charged battery system. Just for running my freezer & refrigerator. I'm going with solar so I don't have to depend on a fuel source. I heat my house with wood, & have a considerable amount of acreage with an abundance of trees. Lots of different options out there. A lot of serious thought & information needs to go into what ever type of system you are considering.

GregLaROCHE
01-06-2024, 02:00 PM
Remember that what generations are rated for are their max output, not continuous running, at least if you want it to last. Also the key to longevity for small 4cycle motors, is to frequently change the oil.

PopcornSutton
01-06-2024, 02:46 PM
I have a smaller inverter generator that I used for my RV, but it doesn't have a 240 volt outlet. Either of these new gens can do the RV of course. I've never seen a automobile inverter that does 240 volts. I know the breaker for my pump is a 20 amp, never had it trip, so the 30 amps on these gens will drive the pump easy. I have 2 refrigerators and 2 freezers. Definitely need to keep those running. I'll be putting a manual transfer switch in powered by the 240V on the gen. I can isolate one or two of the circuits for the frigs when the pump is used.

I'm not sold on solar power to power a frig or freezer. A large solar array and multiple batteries would be needed to power them, and of course, lots of sun.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2024, 02:54 PM
Wen is a private label. Their equipment is nearly same or exactly same as Harbor Freight. Now I am not a HF hater, but just know that it's a 50-50 that you get a problem free generator.

Winger Ed.
01-06-2024, 02:55 PM
I've got the Champion dual fuel.
I like it, but it is kind of loud, and when there isn't a load on it, it doesn't really idle down.

I got it to mainly run the refrigerators, a few lights, coffee pot, and either a space heater or window unit AC
when our power goes out in a storm.

A small propane tank seems to last about 10 hours, and the 5-6gallon gas tank about 12.
The output is supposed to be higher running on gas, but I try not to since its easier to clean & store
after its run on propane, and I never needed the extra output.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2024, 02:58 PM
For things like this, I like to read Amazon's customer reviews, if there are enough of them, it gives a pretty good idea of what to expect.

https://www.amazon.com/product-reviews/B08STWSWLH/ref=cm_cr_unknown?_encoding=UTF8&showViewpoints=1&filterByStar=two_star&pageNumber=1

Finster101
01-06-2024, 03:54 PM
I have not even once regretted going with my 22kw Generac standby generator with 500 gal. buried tank.

JustinP
01-06-2024, 04:45 PM
I have a small house and only my wife and I.
I bought a Generac 8500 watt portable and it runs the whole house. It'll even run the central air. I had it kick out only once. The air was on, the well pump kicked in and I think the electric water heater came on. I forgot I had a big dehumidifier running in the basement all at the same time. Now I shut the dehumidifier off and never have had a problem again. It has exceeded my expectations and I've been using it for several years now.

rancher1913
01-06-2024, 04:59 PM
I'm looking at two makes/models, both are 8750 watt inverter, WEN GN875i and Champion 100520. Not looking to power the whole house, just a few circuits and well pump. Anyone familiar with either one/brand?

thats about 35 amps at 240 volt so make sure you keep that in mind when adding stuff to it, a fridge needs 15 amps and a well could be 15 amps. you can not just add up wattage on the stuff you want to power, you need to allow a cushion for surges.

Shawlerbrook
01-06-2024, 05:04 PM
We love our Generac.

nidrab
01-06-2024, 06:57 PM
No experience with either above. We use a dual fuel Firman from Costco.

ascast
01-06-2024, 07:20 PM
Your not gettin much help here. hmmm I use my HF gas unit for an hour or so for the freezer, frig, water pump. Not all three at the same time. I did buy extra cords for seperate runs sp I can "change circuits" at the genny and not have to run around all over. Not sure where you live, but freezer needs about 1 hour a day, maybe half hour twice a day. Frig maybe that or twice that. Water as needed to flush toilet as needed. Currently my hot water is electric. I would not run that at all. Wood stove runs for 6 months straight. I'm guessing you have already run all this through your computor.

10x
01-06-2024, 07:57 PM
No experience with either above. We use a dual fuel Firman from Costco.

Firman warrantee is not worth the paper it is written on in Canada.
Have a dead 2 year old Firman, it seized at -35C when it was needed the most....
Firman suggested i "decoke" the head - they won't supply gaskets or torque specs.

Budzilla 19
01-06-2024, 08:07 PM
After I got the price for a 22kw standby generator, 1000 gallon in ground propane tank, and installation price, I decided to purchase a portable on wheels Generac generator. 27kw starting Watts, 17.5kw running watts, on gasoline. ( May change to dual fuel later).For a savings of almost $15k!! Most all small ( 10kw or less) will run all your fridges, small heaters, and freezers. The recommendation of changing the oil frequently is spot on! I think you’re going in the right direction. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Moleman-
01-06-2024, 09:57 PM
We got a 6600watt air cooled diesel generator 14 years ago. Not sure on the total hours, but it gets at least 100hrs of use a year. I prefer it over gas as the fuel stores longer and we use less fuel per hour than our neighbor who uses a similar size gas generator. It's loud though, but we live in the country so there's no one to complain. It'll run the whole house minus the hot tub and AC. It would start the old AC unit which had a slow start capacitor system on it. We mainly have it for the well, lights, heat (gas furnace), and fridge-freezers. When it wears out we'll get a slightly larger one that runs our AC, or add a slow start capacitor on the AC unit.

In the time we've owned it, we've replaced the fuel filter, brushes, and fuel lines. I did have to resolder a wire on the comutator pad which had cracked 4-5 years ago.

kerplode
01-06-2024, 10:37 PM
I have an 8kW dual fuel Champion. It runs well, but it's LOUD. Like loud enough that I would be very hesitant to run it in a true emergency.

Bazoo
01-06-2024, 11:05 PM
I have a wen 4500, aint had no trouble out of it, and I use it some around the farm and for my woodshop. I also have a powerboss with a brings engine, but it needs a new voltage regulator. It is easy starting though, normally on one pull, and was an excellent tool before for the first about 5 years of continuous use. I plan to fix it and use it some more.

fg-machine
01-06-2024, 11:19 PM
I have a 20kw 2/71 Detroit powered genset it's loud , but far enough away from the house that it's not a big deal .
It's also fairly easy on fuel , with a medium size load it will use about 5 gallons every 8 hours .

The problem is its 50 years old and while I trust the engine well enough it's getting hard to trust the generator end and all its associated 50 year old parts .
So I started looking for a smaller inverter generator . Almost all of the "off brand " units like the wen, champion, predator etc etc etc all come out of the same factory . I don't know how much difference you can expect as to quality between brands .

I ended up just going to harbor freight and buying a predator, I ran the break in , changed the oil .
Set up a load bank and ran one tank of fuel at half load then a tank at 90% load .
I did this to be somewhat certain it wouldn't instantly fail when I needed it .
Didn't get fancy with the load bank , just started plugging stuff in like space heaters , lights , heat gun till my clip on ammeter showed the load I was looking for .
I'd like to give a reliability report but I haven't needed it since I bought it and the only run time it gets is 10 minutes or so of exercise when ever I remember to do it .

PopcornSutton
01-07-2024, 05:26 AM
Thanks for the comments. First, I'm not concerned about noise I'm out in the country and don't have to worry about others. JonB, I'm sure it's made in China, maybe it similar to a HF model, but one would be hard pressed to get service from HF. Thanks for the Amazon reviews, but Amazon also sells the Champion model listed, and there are negative review comments as well, and not good responses from service calls. I first looked at a Firman in Costco, then read where those have a high harmonic distortion rating, enough so there could be damage to electronics. The inverter models don't have that. I'm also aware of stacking wattage numbers, and those don't include startup loads. I guess anything now days are iffy whether you get a good one or not.

Jeff Michel
01-07-2024, 06:38 AM
Honda 3000 inverter, quiet, thrifty on gas and enough to run a pump and refrigerator. I used one for years before upgrading to a Generac 22K, never a problem, even has a low oil shut off.

Dante
01-07-2024, 08:09 AM
I would recommend Honda. May be a bit more price but I have had one for thirty years and have used it here and at our camp. Frugal on gasoline. Oil changed more often than Honda recommended and only synthetic. Good luck. Dave

MrWolf
01-07-2024, 08:35 AM
I have not even once regretted going with my 22kw Generac standby generator with 500 gal. buried tank.

I have the 20kw I bought from Costco for about $3,700 5 years ago. Paid about $1,000 for a 500 gal propane tank. I dug the ditch to the generator. Electrician charged me about $1,500 to connect it to the transfer box and to run an overhead line about 75' to my garage and put in an RV electric connection box (just in case). Only the two of us plus dogs but I am disabled and cannot cut wood, etc to heat our place. Zero regrets so far. I had to replace the controller card this summer for about $450 but it looks like it may have been a connector that worked its way loose. I did the repair and kept the old one just in case. Overall cost were very reasonable for peace of mind, especially being remote. Good luck.
Ron

Blkpwdrbuff
01-07-2024, 09:08 PM
You guys with Generacs, I hope you have good luck.
I used to work on concrete lifting foam outfits.
They ran Generac 17.5 KW units. What a ***!!
I can't count how many we replaced in the last 10-15 years.
Personally, I'd run like a cut cat from Generacs.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Blkpwdrbuff

.429&H110
01-08-2024, 12:01 AM
It's a big subject.
I had a Honda 3000, bet my house on it at thirty below, worked great. Noisy.
One outage was all night in North Pole AK and it was cold that night.
People's houses freeze first under the kitchen sink, open the doors. Antifreeze the boiler.
(you only need to antifreeze a heating system to 10F then it won't split)
(want to test your antifreeze? put some in your freezer, should get slushy, not freeze solid)
(copper pipes split from refreezing, each cycle jacks them bigger)

Gasoline. You are going to need to store a lot of gasoline.
Power out, gas stations out. For how long?
There is no good answer.

You live way too far north. Are any kids learning to soft solder pipes anymore?

PopcornSutton
01-08-2024, 05:28 AM
After reading through the comments here, I found Generac makes portable units that fall into the same price range as the others. Their website sucks, hard to find the models. One thing I found curious, they have a 8000watt and a 9300watt. The 9300 model has the same outlets as the 8000. 2 duplex 20A GFI, and one 240V 30A. I would have thought the 240 outlet would have been a 40 since the more wattage.

I never had looked at the HF Preditor either, but they are about the same as others. All of them made in China. What makes one brand better than the other, other than parts/service?

augercreek
01-08-2024, 06:46 AM
Why even have it if you won't run it in a emergency! That's when you need it!

Moleman-
01-08-2024, 07:32 AM
Why even have it if you won't run it in a emergency! That's when you need it!

That's why I like the diesel units. The fuel keeps a long time, no carbs to gunk up or regulators to freeze/clog.

georgerkahn
01-08-2024, 07:33 AM

A distant neighbor has the Champion -- seems pretty ;) -- and have heard zero complaints. As a note, my late brother-in-law went on a big diatribe re "where are you going to get the gasoline?" in a major black-out, versus just about EVERY quickie-mart having cages full of propane tanks. Hence -- like Winger Ed -- I bought a dual-fuel generator (Generac) and have ONLY used propane to run it. Fred -- my b.i.l. -- also lauded that, he professed, one can run their propane generator for a few hours; turn it off; and then, three years later it will start as when brand new. NO carb to gum up!!! (This was the main reason I made the purchase! Even using more-than-recommended Sta-Bil in ethanol-free gasoline, the fuel DOES have a rather short finite life. I also have a Honda invertor generator as well as a gasoline-powered Generac, and "have been sleeping uneasy" as, albeit on my "to do it" list, these were not run and drained at summer's end. WILL they start come Spring, or, if needed during a power-failure this winter???)
Just some thoughts... If I had to do it all over again -- I'd JUST have the propane!
geo

Markopolo
01-08-2024, 09:51 AM
I am also a fan of Multi fuel Generator. I run a 10k to charge up my battery bank if that power is down for more then 1 day. My battery bank keeps critical stuff running in the house for almost 9 hours which takes care of most of the usual interruptions, and ai have found that using the propane insures that my Gen is ready to roll whenever.. been using it for about 3 years now.. did I mention electric start is sooooo awesome. I have an acoustic box with insulation around it to keep the noise down. I do find that starting it up when it’s cold can be an issue with propane.. but, I keep some fresh gas in a container, and use that to do the initial startup, then switch it over to propane… never have an issue that way. I have had good luck with Firman.

Finster101
01-08-2024, 10:19 AM
You guys with Generacs, I hope you have good luck.
I used to work on concrete lifting foam outfits.
They ran Generac 17.5 KW units. What a ***!!
I can't count how many we replaced in the last 10-15 years.
Personally, I'd run like a cut cat from Generacs.
Just my 2 cents worth.
Blkpwdrbuff

Since 2015 I have replaced two batteries and changed the oil in the 22 kw propane powered unit. It starts and runs a maintenance cycle every other Sunday on it's own. It has had two stretches after hurricanes Wilma and Ian where it has run for 10 day stretches without ever being powered down with zero issues. I'll take my chances with it.

lancem
01-08-2024, 11:22 AM
I run two of these on the job, have had them over 2 years and have hundreds of hours on both of them and they have been great for the price just thought I'd toss them in. I'm running air compressors and welders on them all day.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVF3JGO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-08-2024, 12:20 PM
SNIP>>>

I never had looked at the HF Preditor either, but they are about the same as others. All of them made in China. What makes one brand better than the other, other than parts/service?
As I started before, you need to read customer reviews for the different China equipment...because the quality does vary from one importer to another, whatever quality they demand from the exporter. I haven't found any other way to figure out which is better, other than using customer reviews, and the quality can change as the years change. Good Luck.

Side note, I have a Harbor Freight retail store near me, so I would look closely at them first, as they have a real good return/exchange policy if the thing has a defect right out of the box. Something as big as a generator, is most likely to be a
"keep it no matter what", if you buy online with no retail store nearby.

John Wayne
01-08-2024, 12:47 PM
I can't speak for the 2 brands you mention but I can say my Miller Bobcat is built more ruggedly than anything else and I weld with it too :drinks:

Rapier
01-08-2024, 01:31 PM
I had a full use computer run done based on actual use. By a certified installer. Would suggest you contact of the certified installer to give you a full inspection and print out on actual need +10%. My assumed need was substantially off, and the actual whole house generator was smaller and less expensive than, my presumed need for a partial house need.

Found out that starting a large generator without a certified installer present, gets you a big 0 warranty. So that buying business is only the very beginning. Did not take long to figure out the arithmetic, better off just buying from the warranty provider guys to start with.

GONRA
01-08-2024, 05:00 PM
GONRA's "natural gas" GENERAC has run perfectly for over 2 decades.
Runs everything except Central Air......
Its professionally installed and maintained twice a year.....

Whole Bunches
01-08-2024, 06:12 PM
We average 1 power outage longer than 30 minutes every 2 months in NW Florida rural. I have UPS’s attached to computer, tv, router, satellite dish. I have a 2kw solar generator sitting by the tv. Power goes out and I have about 15 minutes to plug tv and satellite into it…actual time needed to switch to solar generator is about 10 seconds. Now I have 2 hours before fridge gets too hot and needs plugging in. Solar generator will run those about 9-10 hours without plugging it into my extra battery. Extra LFP battery adds hours to the run time.

If enough sun, I plug solar generator into outside solar panels. No sun…I have a Honda 2400 inverter generator to recharge solar generator every six or so hours so Honda is not running constantly. Outage is gonna last a while: plug solar generator into the house wiring via a generator transfer switch so no extension cords are needed. I like fiddling with this stuff, so a hands on approach works for me.

Wife needs microwave…go ahead and run the Honda to replenish solar generator at the same time.

The best cheapest advice is buy a kilowatt meter so you know exactly what your electric needs are. Also, I only run non ethanol gas in the Honda.

5090SS
01-11-2024, 01:53 AM
I have a 20kw 2/71 Detroit powered genset it's loud , but far enough away from the house that it's not a big deal .
It's also fairly easy on fuel , with a medium size load it will use about 5 gallons every 8 hours .

The problem is its 50 years old and while I trust the engine well enough it's getting hard to trust the generator end and all its associated 50 year old parts .
So I started looking for a smaller inverter generator . Almost all of the "off brand " units like the wen, champion, predator etc etc etc all come out of the same factory . I don't know how much difference you can expect as to quality between brands .

I ended up just going to harbor freight and buying a predator, I ran the break in , changed the oil .
Set up a load bank and ran one tank of fuel at half load then a tank at 90% load .
I did this to be somewhat certain it wouldn't instantly fail when I needed it .
Didn't get fancy with the load bank , just started plugging stuff in like space heaters , lights , heat gun till my clip on ammeter showed the load I was looking for .
I'd like to give a reliability report but I haven't needed it since I bought it and the only run time it gets is 10 minutes or so of exercise when ever I remember to do it .

Any chance of a few pictures of that Detroit? We did manufacture stuff here once didn't we?

rockrat
01-11-2024, 11:50 AM
I bought a dual fuel Champion 9300. I keep Avgas in the tank for initial starting. Haven't needed it yet, knock on wood.

Scorpion8
01-11-2024, 12:45 PM
I also have a Generac GP5500 for blackouts. Never had to use it, but every time I take it out for routine starts & runs it runs like a champ. I only plan a few vital circuits and not the whole-house.

yeahbub
01-11-2024, 02:51 PM
I've been wondering about a Generac stand-by generator set up to run on propane with the transfer switching making the operation automatic, so I don't have to be at home when the grid goes down. It sounds like a great advantage. The refrigeration stays caught up and the sump pump keeps the basement from being a nasty mess.

I've read of people with portable generators buying numerous extension cords to hook up their refrigerators, etc. Aren't they already plugged in? As it is, I first turn off and LOCK OUT the main breaker to isolate the house from the grid (VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT BACK-FEED TO THE GRID and zap some poor lineman trying to fix the outage) and use a contractor grade 4400W surge/3800W continuous with a 240V, 30A receptacle jumpered to the welder receptacle (or dryer receptacle) in the house, thus using the existing breaker panel to distribute the power. It won't run the electric hot water heater, but it keeps the sump pump and refrigeration happy, as well as the ancient microwave, so it's all good. Just one 50A cord (50A for when I get a bigger one) with the correct male plugs on both ends and the whole house has access to power. Safety is everything, so there's a strict procedure to follow, but it works great. Does anyone else do this?

Hossfly
01-11-2024, 02:59 PM
There is definitely a procedure to follow and make it as fool proof as possible. When is freezing cold and storming is the worse time to be trying to get something working. Be very careful of male end on each end of extension as it is live.

elmacgyver0
01-11-2024, 03:28 PM
I bought a Westinghouse WGen9500DF portable generator.
I also bought a manual transfer switch I wired into my breaker box.
I bought the ST switch, which is supposed to start the generator in the event of a power outage.
Everything about the ST switch worked fine except it would not start the generator.
I bought all this on Amazon, they sent me a new ST switch and it had the same problem.
The good news is they refunded my money for the ST switch and let me keep both switches.
I determined the switches were actually sending the signal, but it was not of a long enough duration to start the generator.
To add insult to injury, there are two circuit boards inside the ST switch which are potted in black epoxy, so no adjusting the timing of the circuit.
Well, my friends didn't give the nickname of Macgyver for nothing!
I built up a little circuit to increase the duration of the start signal and it all works fine now.
I am kind of thinking there was a design change in the generator start circuit as the layout of the power outlets have changed recently due to not playing well with the proximity of the wheel.
If for some reason we are away from the house for an extended period I now don't need to worry about the fridge and freezer, etc.

ulav8r
01-11-2024, 10:21 PM
Snip Safety is everything, so there's a strict procedure to follow, but it works great. Does anyone else do this?.

Illegal in many areas. There are safe, legal ways(in some areas) to do it. I will have a breaker next to the main breaker in my panel box. There will be a sliding plate on the cover that blocks either the generator breaker or the main breaker. Slide the plate to one position and the main is on but the generator has to be off. Turn the main off, slide the plate, and then the generator breaker can be turned on. I have a steel loop in the slab of the porch on my work shop and an outlet to plug the generator in to. The loop is to chain and ground the generator to, and the outlet goes to the breaker panel in the house. When I need the gen, I will go to the shop and hook the generator to the outlet and reset the breakers in the house. The gen will be under roof but the porch is open on two sides.

PS: Those plates are available for some breaker panels from Amazon. I am going to make my own plate. My power provider OK'ed this plan. I have a 50 amp breaker for the gen.

fg-machine
01-12-2024, 03:23 AM
Any chance of a few pictures of that Detroit? We did manufacture stuff here once didn't we?

Pictures , it's in an enclosure so without taking it apart there isn't much to see except the dip stick radiator cap and air filter .

My unit came out of an Akron fire station and had 600 something hours on it , a person would guess it was well maintained coming from a fire station . The install date on the tag was 1976 .

It's kind of funny , when I bought it back in the 90's no one wanted it cause it's a 2 cycle Detroit . Now 30 years later people are interested in it because it's a 2 cycle detroit.

MrWolf
01-12-2024, 12:48 PM
I've been wondering about a Generac stand-by generator set up to run on propane with the transfer switching making the operation automatic, so I don't have to be at home when the grid goes down. It sounds like a great advantage. The refrigeration stays caught up and the sump pump keeps the basement from being a nasty mess.

I've read of people with portable generators buying numerous extension cords to hook up their refrigerators, etc. Aren't they already plugged in? As it is, I first turn off and LOCK OUT the main breaker to isolate the house from the grid (VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT BACK-FEED TO THE GRID and zap some poor lineman trying to fix the outage) and use a contractor grade 4400W surge/3800W continuous with a 240V, 30A receptacle jumpered to the welder receptacle (or dryer receptacle) in the house, thus using the existing breaker panel to distribute the power. It won't run the electric hot water heater, but it keeps the sump pump and refrigeration happy, as well as the ancient microwave, so it's all good. Just one 50A cord (50A for when I get a bigger one) with the correct male plugs on both ends and the whole house has access to power. Safety is everything, so there's a strict procedure to follow, but it works great. Does anyone else do this?

That is how my unit is setup. Disabled and freezing cold, snow, rain, etc becomes to much on me. Five seconds after power goes out the generator kicks in. Here in the mountains it happens a lot more than you think and we have had more trees dropping lines causing power outages than we would have thought. I am also 3/4 mile from the main road.

Thin Man
01-13-2024, 08:14 AM
SWMBO and I considered buying a generator last year. A neighbor 2 doors away has one, a full size Generac. About 4 years ago we had a really bad snow storm that cost most of this town their electric service for 4-6 weeks, depending on each's location. The neighbor claimed to have bought his unit for about $8K before we started our search. The lowest asking price we found for the same size as his is now $13K. That price stopped us in our search. Losing power locally is rather rare so we will keep the firewood stack topped out and hope for the best.

ascast
01-13-2024, 08:52 AM
Lost power yesterday for a few hours. It was still daylight when it lifted so no big deal. I did pull out a couple oil lamps. Need flash batteries. Some mentioned cords. Yes, well my water pump is on a 50 ft'r that is"installed" for that job alone and never gets pulled out. Over my lifetime it is money well spent. My freezer and frig are both within 25 ft of the garage door, where I hang cords anyway. It is really no big deal to hook them up. I did have my breaker box set up for direct feed. One circuit for te welder could be used to power the whole panel. But that only leaves one disconnect to grid so do not use that. Safety always come first.

compass will
01-13-2024, 09:27 AM
I have a 3500 and 2000 inverter generators. Mainly for my camper, but I can power stuff in the house. The trick is to run them empty when done with them than run something like trufuel or vpracing small engine fuel for a couple of minutes before storage. I start them for a couple of minutes every month or 2. In central florida, we know beforehand when we might need them, so for fuel, we run out and buy non ethonel before the event. I have a 13 gallon tank with wheels i use to fill the boat. If i dont use the generator, i burn the fuel in the pontoon boat.

farmbif
01-14-2024, 10:15 AM
I like the idea of those solar powered things. in past couple weeks I refreshed my generated power an old Lincoln ranger 8 welder, changed the filters, oil, fuel, lines and polished the slip rings, that puts out I think 8000 watts with a peak at 10000. but gas generators are hungry and even if I put cheap gas with ethanol in it it still goes through up to a gallon an hour. but its worth it to keep the freezer frozen by running if a few hours if needed if power goes out for a few days. but the power company guys here are top notch and its never been out for more than a few hours.

czgunner
01-14-2024, 10:58 AM

I've read of people with portable generators buying numerous extension cords to hook up their refrigerators, etc. Aren't they already plugged in? As it is, I first turn off and LOCK OUT the main breaker to isolate the house from the grid (VERY IMPORTANT TO NOT BACK-FEED TO THE GRID and zap some poor lineman trying to fix the outage) and use a contractor grade 4400W surge/3800W continuous with a 240V, 30A receptacle jumpered to the welder receptacle (or dryer receptacle) in the house, thus using the existing breaker panel to distribute the power. It won't run the electric hot water heater, but it keeps the sump pump and refrigeration happy, as well as the ancient microwave, so it's all good. Just one 50A cord (50A for when I get a bigger one) with the correct male plugs on both ends and the whole house has access to power. Safety is everything, so there's a strict procedure to follow, but it works great. Does anyone else do this?I run an interlock. Very inexpensive to buy and install. Like you I have power to the entire house and can just shut off circuits I don't want running.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Moleman-
01-14-2024, 11:44 AM
I run an interlock. Very inexpensive to buy and install. Like you I have power to the entire house and can just shut off circuits I don't want running.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

We also use a lockout plate and shut off things we don't need like the 50amp hot tub breaker. They're simple enough you can make your own if you want. We added it when the line to the house was burried, so it was inspected at that time and meets the code here in MI. Not our lockout plate, one I found online with a similar setup.