PDA

View Full Version : Dan Wesson 357 opinions

pull the trigger
01-06-2024, 11:56 AM
Which Wesson? Dan or Smith? I'm a big Smith fan, never had a Dan. How are they? LGS has a Dan and I was considering it. Thanks for your opinions

Three44s
01-06-2024, 12:16 PM
I bought a blued Dan in 41 Mag several years ago and like you, I am big on S&W as you are.

Mine is a Monson gun which is supposed to be the most sought after as to time and place where it was built. It is a fine DA revolver though I have not fired it a lot.

The SA trigger is to die for on mine. The DA compared to a Smith is different, not bad, just different. As the prime designer at that time for Dan Wesson was formerly a Colt worker it comes as no surprise the the Dan's maybe more akin to Colts in DA.

Three44s

murf205
01-06-2024, 12:23 PM
I had a 357 Dan Wesson years ago and it was an accurate revolver but when I loaded the upper end of 357 mag pressures the cases were pretty hard to extract. I didn't think that the pressure was excessive and I polished the cylinders with some 600 grit and a touch of oil. It did the trick and the gun went to a friend who still has it 40 yrs later.

Rapier
01-06-2024, 12:35 PM
The DW is a good gun. However since CZ bought them and then stopped production of revolvers, the replacement parts have gotten more and more scarce for the revolvers. Plus they never were a warranty shop for older, pre purchase DWs

jss227
01-06-2024, 12:38 PM
I love Dan Wessons. I have 20 or so. My favorite is my model 12 4 inch porkchop. I hunt with a 15-2 8 inch hrv with a scope.

pull the trigger
01-06-2024, 01:09 PM
Do any red dots fit the vent rib? Thanks for the responses!

pull the trigger
01-06-2024, 01:15 PM
I love Dan Wessons. I have 20 or so. My favorite is my model 12 4 inch porkchop. I hunt with a 15-2 8 inch hrv with a scope.
Wow, how did you get started down the Dan Wesson path?

Kosh75287
01-06-2024, 01:49 PM
The DWs are EXCELLENT revolvers FOR HUNTING.
If you are contemplating its use as a personal defense tool, I'D rather have the S&W. The cylinder latch on the DWs are murderously slow to manipulate under time pressure, while the S&W cylinder latch is just about the most well thought out available on any production revolver.

Ed K
01-06-2024, 01:50 PM
Agree the double action trigger is so-so while the single action trigger is fantastic. Accuracy at least as good as S&W or Ruger, some will argue better. Typically can be had cheaper than either. What are you going to do with it? For defense or a duty gun the double action trigger could be a slight negative but if for a single action sporting or target gun you're good to go.

fourarmed
01-06-2024, 03:42 PM
I have used a 10" .41 mag DW in silhouette shooting for over 20 years. I shot a lot of perfect scores using jacketed bullets and one using cast. I never felt handicapped shooting against FA's. Probably not all of them are as accurate as mine, but there were at least 50 of them used in silhouette shooting for every one Smith.

rancher1913
01-06-2024, 05:03 PM
my first gun i purchased was a dan wesson 357mag, it was a 70s era pistol and you could not con me into selling it for any amount of money

georgerkahn
01-06-2024, 05:07 PM
Which Wesson? Dan or Smith? I'm a big Smith fan, never had a Dan. How are they? LGS has a Dan and I was considering it. Thanks for your opinions

I bought my .357 Dan Wesson on a "whim" at a local gun shop, after my inquiry as to, in his opinion, which revolver had the best accuracy potential. Much more than a casual shooter -- he had won many, many competitions -- with zero hesitation he pointed to the Dan Wesson in his show-case. It followed me home, and in my Gil Hebard rest proves that he was not in any way incorrect. It took a few years, but vis a popular auction sight I bid on and purchased different sized barrels, grips, their brief case, and even a patch plus belt buckle! While Dan Wesson sold their "pistol kit" with all in one, I was able -- being patient, through the years -- to assemble mine.
This is a definite "plus" to the Dan Wesson perhaps being the one you elect -- it takes less than three minutes to CHANGE barrels. Also, you can swap different colour sight inserts as well as grips to your choosing.321789 One added note is mine came with a short barrel on it, and my first quest was their 4" barrel. At the time, pretty much all barrel lengths were available, except for the most-popular and sought after four-incher. So.... if the Dan Wesson you are looking at comes with a 4" barrel attached -- this is another big plus!
geo

ShooterAZ
01-06-2024, 05:33 PM
I purchased a used DW Model 15 back in the early 1980's. It came with the 4", 6" and 8" barrels and was extremely accurate. I got cash strapped and foolishly sold it, and I sorely wish that I hadn't. It was one heck of a good shooter, and every now and then I run into the guy that I sold it to. He's a security guard for an armored car company and he carries it as his duty gun. I don't know much about today's production DW revolvers, but back then they were well made firearms.

charlie b
01-06-2024, 05:56 PM
FWIW, a story I've told before.

Gunsmith got a DW in with a complaint of not being accurate anymore. He got the handloads used for the gun. When he put a factory round in a chamber it 'rattled' around, a lot. He asked about the reloads. They were Bullseye with 125gn JHP. How much powder? The customer said he didn't know, he just filled up the case. Gunsmith weighed the charges and indeed, they were way up there (around 12gn IIRC). Probably well over 60kpsi.

Short story, gun was sent back to DW. DW returned a nice letter with a check for the value of the gun. In so many words they asked that the customer not buy another DW.

MUSTANG
01-06-2024, 06:08 PM
my first gun i purchased was a dan wesson 357mag, it was a 70s era pistol and you could not con me into selling it for any amount of money

+1 on this. My 6" Dan Wesson bought in 1970's is most accurate pistol I have and will be subject to multi family dispute over ownership when I am gone.

pull the trigger
01-06-2024, 06:12 PM
Good info on the 4" barrel. I plan to hunt and target shoot with it. Are the barrels pretty interchangeable with in the caliber? Do 14 and 15 barrels and shrouds swap around? Thanks for all the responses.

M-Tecs
01-06-2024, 06:33 PM
Withing the same calibers and models all are interchangeable. The early version 38/357 DW used "porkchop barrel shrouds" and a different style barrel nut. I don't know enough about them to comment. I do love both of my 15-2's.

dtknowles
01-06-2024, 06:36 PM
I have 6 Dan Wesson revolvers and one more on the way. I have a variety of barrels and shrouds in 4", 6", and 8". I have .22, .32-20, 357 Mag. and .357 Max. I think they are very accurate, you would have to pay a lot more money to get a more accurate revolver. I have a scope on one of my 8" vent heavy shrouds, but I did my own gunsmithing it was not an off the shelf deal. Yes, the latch takes two hands. Double action trigger seems ok to me and the single action trigger is usually excellent right as it comes from the factory. All mine are Monson, I have not seen any that were not, but I know they are out there.

The shrouds come in two styles, porkchop and straight. All mine are straight. Barrel threads are varied so you can't put a .22 barrel on a .357 frame, you can see how that is necessary but the shrouds and barrel nuts are interchangeable. It used to be easy to pick up extra barrels and shrouds but now not so much and they are pricey.
Tim

contender1
01-06-2024, 07:12 PM
I shot my first DW back in the mid 1970's. After that experience,, I always wanted one,, or two, or three,,,! Back then,, I couldn't afford the few I'd find.
Fast forward to recent years.
I found a 4 barrel pistol pac, Monson, 15-2. All it was missing was the patch, the buckle, and the manual. Love the gun! Last year,, I found a DW pistol pac in .44 Mag. It has (2) each barrels in 6" & 8". (Basically 2 spare barrels,, but no shrouds to match.) it came with a manual, the patch & buckle.

Both guns are superbly accurate if I do my part. And with several discussions with a former IHMSA champion,, who proclaimed the fact that DW handguns were THE gun to beat.

If you find a good deal on a pac,, or heck,, just a gun,, you will appreciate them for serious shooting,, unless speed is necessary for reloads.

ohen cepel
01-06-2024, 07:42 PM
CZ USA still have springs kits for the revolvers. Part # DWRSKS for the small frame DWRSKL for the large frame Dan Wesson.

pull the trigger
01-06-2024, 08:38 PM
lovin the stories everybody!! thanks!!

kaiser
01-06-2024, 09:06 PM
+2 on the Dan Wesson being the best, and most accurate .357 of the "bunch". It has such a "sweet" trigger and short hammer "fall" that has never been duplicated by another maker. IMO, D.W would never have received bad press and a corresponding drop in the market place if they had not tried to "Magnum up" to bigger calibers to early (the ensuing press was not kind!) While I foolishly sold my pistol pack, I did keep the barrel tool and the "feeler gauge.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2024, 09:09 PM
Just about 4 years ago, I went to a first time gunshow at a new venue. I wasn't expecting to see much. If you remember what was happening 4 years ago, you can imagine how low the turnout was. I seen a 6" DW 14-2 (357mag) on a the table. I had owned a DW 357mag back in the 80s, but I was young and dumb and swapped it for a 44 mag S&W.
After a few times around the gunshow, I stopped and talked to the vendor with the 14-2. He was bummed out at the low turnout, so he was willing to move that DW eagerly...so it came home with me. Now, I haven't given it a workout, so to speak, but I like shooting it every bit as much as my comprable models of S&W(27) and Ruger(SP100).
One thing I dislike about owning a old DW revolver, is the lack of accessories that are available. I almost always swap grips on my revolvers.

jss227
01-06-2024, 09:27 PM
Do any red dots fit the vent rib? Thanks for the responses!

I have never tried.

jss227
01-06-2024, 09:30 PM
Wow, how did you get started down the Dan Wesson path?

I don't know. Started over 30 years ago. I think it was the ability to change barrels, and the pistol packs.

pull the trigger
01-06-2024, 10:15 PM
I don't know. Started over 30 years ago. I think it was the ability to change barrels, and the pistol packs.

Of all you've had and seen, any failures or breaks that you want to share?

dtknowles
01-06-2024, 11:24 PM
+2 on the Dan Wesson being the best, and most accurate .357 of the "bunch". It has such a "sweet" trigger and short hammer "fall" that has never been duplicated by another maker. IMO, D.W would never have received bad press and a corresponding drop in the market place if they had not tried to "Magnum up" to bigger calibers to early (the ensuing press was not kind!) While I foolishly sold my pistol pack, I did keep the barrel tool and the "feeler gauge.

I wish people would keep the barrel tool with the gun when they sell them. I only have one tool for the 3, mdl 15's I have.

Tim

dtknowles
01-06-2024, 11:47 PM

The only one I had was the cylinder stop separated from the side plate, on my first mdl 15 it was a separate part pressed into the side plate and it came loose. It is the bump that stops rearward motion of the cylinder when ejecting the cartridges. On my other guns it is integral to the side plate. I bought a replacement side plate but it fit where it was important but not up by the hammer, that bothered me so I just jb welded the original back together.

Tim

dtknowles
01-07-2024, 12:09 AM
Just about 4 years ago, I went to a first time gunshow at a new venue. I wasn't expecting to see much. If you remember what was happening 4 years ago, you can imagine how low the turnout was. I seen a 6" DW 14-2 (357mag) on a the table. I had owned a DW 357mag back in the 80s, but I was young and dumb and swapped it for a 44 mag S&W.
After a few times around the gunshow, I stopped and talked to the vendor with the 14-2. He was bummed out at the low turnout, so he was willing to move that DW eagerly...so it came home with me. Now, I haven't given it a workout, so to speak, but I like shooting it every bit as much as my comprable models of S&W(27) and Ruger(SP100).
One thing I dislike about owning a old DW revolver, is the lack of accessories that are available. I almost always swap grips on my revolvers.

Yes, there are not many new aftermarket or production parts anymore. I have three Pachmayer Grips and one wooden grip that I reworked along with 4 original factory wooden grips but I bought all my spare parts at auction. I modified a set of rings to mount my scope, not sure there were ever production rings. This is kind of a normal thing for me. I restore old guns and am used to scrounging parts.

Tim

Kosh75287
01-07-2024, 12:36 AM
In the not-very-scientific-but-quite-exhausting-and-fun "Great .357 Revolver Shoot-Out of 1986-7, the very best slow-fire .357 Magnum for long-range (over 50 yards) was a 6" barreled Colt Python, followed by a 5" S&W M27, followed (closely) by a 6" DW 152VH revolver. The DW was dead last in any sort of defensive course of fire. The Python was slightly ahead of the DW, and the S&W K and N frames were decidedly ahead of them, along with the Ruger Security Six and Police Service Six, both with 4" barrels.
The DW is a superb long-range, slow-fire, HUNTING revolver. Get something else with which to defend your life.

rockrat
01-07-2024, 01:08 AM
Good friend of mine had a stainless 44 mag he shot in silhouette. Would never put those loads in a S&W 29!!! Thing shot great, but he wasn't up to the potential of the gun. He sold it to another friend of ours and it was like a laser beam in his hands. I would also swear he shot even hotter loads, but the gun digested them without complaint for years. Thing sounded (and recoiled) like my 445sm when he touched it off!!

stubshaft
01-07-2024, 01:39 AM
I'm sorry but I think that DW's are garbage. Back in the 80's I was an avid Silhouette shooter and everyone said that a DW as the gun to shoot. I bought one in 357 Maxi and from day one it spit lead. The cylinder wasn't lined properly with the forcing cone and the face of the cylinder was not square either. This caused the BC gap to vary. Three trips back to the factory and there was no marked improvement so it went up for sale.

When DW developed the 445 SuperMag I just had to have one. I ordered it through IHMSA and got one of the very early ones (serial #ETG 088). It was so new that brass and loads were not even available, and I had to form brass from 348 Winnie brass.

SAME dang problem as the Maxi. The first time I sent it back the face of the cylinder looked like they took a grinder to it and forgot to clean up the horrendous grooves. At least the BC gap didn't vary as much but it still wasn't lined up properly. Didn't bother sending it back again and got rid of it immediately.

brassrat
01-07-2024, 01:54 AM
They are a hit or miss gun. Some are great and others were never sent out right.

LeonardC
01-07-2024, 03:40 AM
Last year,, I found a DW pistol pac in .44 Mag. It has (2) each barrels in 6" & 8". (Basically 2 spare barrels,, but no shrouds to match.) it came with a manual, the patch & buckle.
Early DW .44 came with ported barrels and shrouds. Included were a ported barrel and a non-ported barrel with a ported shroud. The ported barrels and shrouds were reported to be a pain to clean.

My first DW was an early 15-2, good shape but well used. I shot it a lot, first gun I handloaded for. At some point the cylinder seemed to "float" with magnum loads. The factory rebuilt the gun for me at no charge.

Next DW was a .22 It never was as accurate as I thought it should be. Still a nice gun. Barrels and shrouds of 4, 6, and 8 fitting both guns.

Last was the first .44 Mag I saw after they came out. Very nice gun. Shrouds and barrels in 4, 6, and 8. Never shot one of the ported barrels.

Diamond D Leather (Wasilla, AK) makes holsters to fit DW in either V or VH ("half" or "full" lug).

6" is my favorite length.

Forrest r
01-07-2024, 08:11 AM
Used 4"/6"/8" bbl's in several different dw 15-2's 357mags over the years. If I saw them reasonable at gunshows I'd pick them up.

https://i.imgur.com/GxorNff.jpg

These are the last 2 I owned before thinning the herd. Had trigger jobs done on them & they were a pure joy to shoot.

kaiser
01-07-2024, 10:18 AM
Oh BTW dt, I do still have my D.W. .357 with a 6" BBL. (The tool will go with the gun when I give it to my son in case he ever purchases extra barrels.)

georgerkahn
01-07-2024, 10:45 AM
Good info on the 4" barrel. I plan to hunt and target shoot with it. Are the barrels pretty interchangeable with in the caliber? Do 14 and 15 barrels and shrouds swap around? Thanks for all the responses.

Mine is the 15-2 flavour. All the barrels I got were/are 15-2 compatible which is all *I* know. One critical "tool" is the spacer -- basically just a measure shim one MUST use when swapping barrels to get correct cylinder gap. It took a while for me to find a DanWesson manufacture that one needn't mortgage the house to pay for ;) -- so I used a simple 0.006" plain-Jane automobile shim. Also, while I bought the Pistol Pack case on the cheap, the keys for it seemed to command more $$$s than I gave for it. (I chanced on a "bunch of keys" being purveyed, with my seeing one with similar looks and number as the DW case key -- I got lucky!)
At the time, there were lots of DW offerings -- barrels, shrouds, sight inserts, and grips on that most popular e-auction site. Good luck!!!
geo

racepres
01-07-2024, 11:03 AM
Got My Pork Chop 357 in the '70's...Have had others...a couple I certainly wish I had Kept...the Pork Chop Stays.
BTW holding one each S&W and DW one in each Hand...they are so Very different...I have Never even thought of Comparing!!

Ed K
01-07-2024, 11:25 AM
I wish people would keep the barrel tool with the gun when they sell them. I only have one tool for the 3, mdl 15's I have.

Tim

EWK Arms makes one that may be better than the original.

murf205
01-07-2024, 11:35 AM
My theory,for what that's worth, is that the accuracy of the Dan Wesson is the front lock up of the cylinder a la Triple Lock S&W. I have a 629-3 with a ball/detent on the front of the yoke and it is also a scary accurate revolver. Plus they made some good barrels and had decent triggers. But, alas, like the gun trader I am/was, mine is not in my safe any more.

7br
01-07-2024, 01:29 PM
I am currently shooting a CZ manufactured 715 in ihmsa. With a 10in barrel, it will launch a 180gr cast boolit at 1425fps with more accuracy than I am capable of. I also have a 722 that was manufactured just before Bob Serva sold out to CZ. I am more than pleased with it.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-07-2024, 01:37 PM
Yes, there are not many new aftermarket or production parts anymore. I have three Pachmayer Grips and one wooden grip that I reworked along with 4 original factory wooden grips but I bought all my spare parts at auction. I modified a set of rings to mount my scope, not sure there were ever production rings. This is kind of a normal thing for me. I restore old guns and am used to scrounging parts.
Tim
Tim,
Thanks for the response.
After I made my post, I went to fleabay to check things out, since it was about 3 years ago last time I looked. I was surprised and happy to see the number of factory grips available...and to also see my favorite Thailand grip maker has a line of grips for the DW small frame square post. I've bought 3 Thailand grips for S&W guns and have been pleased with the product fit and finish. So, I ordered a grip for my DW 14-2 this morning. The Grip appears to be glued together at the seam, instead of machined from one piece of wood...so maybe I will be disappointed? Unless this maker uses some high quality adhesive?
Side note...and a HEADS UP: I seen a original DW grip on fleabay auction, current bid $13. It was ground down on both sides of butt and never refinished, otherwise looked real good. It would be a great candidate for a wood carver to do something with, cuz those original grips are a bit large for my taste, so there is plenty of wood there to work with, I think it also came with the screw...BONUS.
ALso, my used gun didn't come with box, papers or the barrel tool :( but I don't have any other barrels so I guess I don't really need it?

dtknowles
01-07-2024, 09:02 PM
EWK Arms makes one that may be better than the original.

Thanks for the lead. They look good and are cheaper than what I have seen elsewhere.

Tim

dtknowles
01-07-2024, 09:12 PM
Tim,
Thanks for the response.
After I made my post, I went to fleabay to check things out, since it was about 3 years ago last time I looked. I was surprised and happy to see the number of factory grips available...and to also see my favorite Thailand grip maker has a line of grips for the DW small frame square post. I've bought 3 Thailand grips for S&W guns and have been pleased with the product fit and finish. So, I ordered a grip for my DW 14-2 this morning. The Grip appears to be glued together at the seam, instead of machined from one piece of wood...so maybe I will be disappointed? Unless this maker uses some high quality adhesive?
Side note...and a HEADS UP: I seen a original DW grip on fleabay auction, current bid $13. It was ground down on both sides of butt and never refinished, otherwise looked real good. It would be a great candidate for a wood carver to do something with, cuz those original grips are a bit large for my taste, so there is plenty of wood there to work with, I think it also came with the screw...BONUS.
ALso, my used gun didn't come with box, papers or the barrel tool :( but I don't have any other barrels so I guess I don't really need it?

Ed K posted a place to get a barrel tool that seems reasonable. You might want one.

https://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67_5

It would let you set the cylinder to barrel gap. Yes, the stock grips are large. They are a good size for me but they are bulky if trying to conceal. I cut down, reworked and refinished a stock grip and retained the logo button. I will maybe post a picture. I think it came out nice. I have a four inch shroud and barrel but the shroud is in the white and dented up. I just can't seem to get myself to polish and blue it as it will never match the frame.

I don't set my barrel gap with the stock feeler gauge. Depending on how nice the fit/finish is you can go a bit tighter and still get good function. Everyone should have a set of feeler gauges, they don't cost much. I did not get a feeler gauge with any of my guns.

Tim

dtknowles
01-07-2024, 09:31 PM
This is all my Dan Wesson stuff except my SuperMag and some screws and sight inserts.

Tim

georgerkahn
01-07-2024, 09:43 PM
Ed K posted a place to get a barrel tool that seems reasonable. You might want one.

https://www.ewkarms.com/zen8/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=67_5

It would let you set the cylinder to barrel gap. Yes, the stock grips are large. They are a good size for me but they are bulky if trying to conceal. I cut down, reworked and refinished a stock grip and retained the logo button. I will maybe post a picture. I think it came out nice. I have a four inch shroud and barrel but the shroud is in the white and dented up. I just can't seem to get myself to polish and blue it as it will never match the frame.

I don't set my barrel gap with the stock feeler gauge. Depending on how nice the fit/finish is you can go a bit tighter and still get good function. Everyone should have a set of feeler gauges, they don't cost much. I did not get a feeler gauge with any of my guns.

Tim

I may be way off base, but I want uniformity (complementing safety) in all my shooting -- hence, Dan Wesson specifies 0.006" as what the gap should be -- and that's what I ALWAYS set mine at. Just me?
geo

dtknowles
01-07-2024, 10:36 PM
I may be way off base, but I want uniformity (complementing safety) in all my shooting -- hence, Dan Wesson specifies 0.006" as what the gap should be -- and that's what I ALWAYS set mine at. Just me?
geo

I can appreciate that. Not off base, good sense. I am an experimenter; I am not competing, I am exploring. Sometimes I get something that works and I don't change it but more often I am asking what if. If I get something that works and I don't change it, it goes on the shelf and collects dust.

Just you and just me. We are good, we do what we do.

If your gun is well fit, you could change that to .005 or even .004 and stick with that and it should be better. How much better, you would only know by testing, and it might not even be measurable. We do know that to big a gap is not good. I have cranked in down until it drags and backed it off until it doesn't and set the barrel that way. That is too tight after 30 or so shots it starts to drag. I am guessing from heating up and fouling. That would really mess with your double action trigger pull but not so much single action.

Tim

M-Tecs
01-07-2024, 10:41 PM
On my DW I run my gap at .003". DW recommends .006". I have tried 002" but I would get cylinder drag from carbon at .002". Never had an issue at .003" but my DW's are not used for SD.

Johnch
01-07-2024, 10:59 PM
LOL I have 2 DW 357 mags
I also have 2" to 10" barrels and a 14" barrel

Normally I have a 4" and a 8" DW 357 Mag
But the 10" barrel with a red dot sight has harvested several deer using Hornady 180 gr HP bullets

John

7br
01-08-2024, 03:54 PM
I would suggest getting the barrel tool and remove the barrel once a year or so. I left the barrel on my .22 on foe 10 years or so and had a devil of a time getting it off.

dtknowles
01-08-2024, 04:54 PM
I would suggest getting the barrel tool and remove the barrel once a year or so. I left the barrel on my .22 on foe 10 years or so and had a devil of a time getting it off.

I have started using anti-seize grease on the frame end barrel threads. I use the same anti-seize used on inline muzzleloader breach plugs.

Tim

vhntr1
01-08-2024, 10:02 PM
Love my 3 a 357 mag a 44mag with a 6in and a 8in ported and a 8in 445supermag with a red dot my go to deer killer.

pull the trigger
01-08-2024, 10:39 PM
Well, my local shop had a 44 today with a 4" barrel. I had been figuring on a 357, but this will do to start. I really want to find an 8" barrel for it, if anyone has any leads, I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks everyone for the stories and insight, keep em coming, I love it!

LeonardC
01-08-2024, 11:22 PM
Last I heard CZ still had barrels/shrouds for sale. "Jenny" is the lady that comes to mind that handles DW parts.

EDIT: I poked around the DAN WESSON FORUM and found this information in a posting from September6, 2023:

We still make the 44mag in the following lengths in blued and stainless.

4" $257.00
6" $304.00
8" $374.00
10" $433.00

Thank you,
Genny Spencer
Office Manager

CZ-USA/Dan Wesson
65 Borden Avenue
Norwich, NY 13815
913-413-1822
Genny@cz-usa.com (mailto:Genny@cz-usa.com)

phantom22
01-09-2024, 11:08 AM
I had a 357 Dan Wesson years ago and it was an accurate revolver but when I loaded the upper end of 357 mag pressures the cases were pretty hard to extract. I didn't think that the pressure was excessive and I polished the cylinders with some 600 grit and a touch of oil. It did the trick and the gun went to a friend who still has it 40 yrs later.

I literally have the same exact experience with mine. Very accurate but a pain with extraction, even on light loaded 'magnum' rounds. I'll definitely try the polish trick.

jss227
01-09-2024, 11:43 AM

None.

rintinglen
01-09-2024, 04:45 PM
I am no fan of the DW for EDC, the double action is too heavy to suit me and the guns themselves are not light weight. But for target shooting, or hunting, they can not be excelled, at least not for less than double the money. The ones I had were exceptional.

pull the trigger
01-09-2024, 07:18 PM
Thanks LeonardC. I'm surprised they still make them

BobT
01-09-2024, 09:08 PM
In my experience, having had several different .357 magnum revolvers including the 19 and 27 Smiths and a Colt Python, my old DW 15-2 HV was the most accurate .357 Magnum revolver I have ever fired bar none!

pull the trigger
01-21-2024, 09:41 PM
Well, my local shop had a 44 today with a 4" barrel. I had been figuring on a 357, but this will do to start. I really want to find an 8" barrel for it, if anyone has any leads, I'd sure appreciate it.
Thanks everyone for the stories and insight, keep em coming, I love it!

Update to the story. I kinda want to try a red dot on this this, never had one before. I cant find much out there, and I don't want to drill into it either. Warne makes a red dot mount that attaches (clamps) to a shotgun vent rib. It comes close, but it doesn't fit. I could possibly do some file work and maybe make it work, but I'm not in love with the best possible results, let alone the chance of ruining a $50 mount, so I guess I'll keep looking.

dtknowles
01-22-2024, 12:33 AM
This scope has been mounted to this shroud for decades with just stock rings. I can't say who's rings they are not marked but it is secure. It is offset from the bore a bit but like a side mounted scope that does not affect proper function.

Sorry the pictures are crappy but I think you can get the idea. Just rings clamped to the rib.

Tim

pull the trigger
01-22-2024, 07:26 AM
I'd love to find a set of those rings, they'd be perfect.

atfsux
01-22-2024, 10:13 PM
My first ever handgun was a 6in. Model 15-2. I loved that thing and never should have got rid of it. But I was a teenager, and stoopid. Turns out the lock work is a tiny bit less stout than S&W, and mine needed re-timing as a result. Of course, that may have had something to do with the steady diet of derloudenboomer krackenflasher magnum slightly beyond maximum handloads I fed it all the time.

Ed K
01-23-2024, 03:34 PM
Turns out the lock work is a tiny bit less stout than S&W, and mine needed re-timing as a result.

Can't say I've heard that one before.

racepres
01-23-2024, 06:52 PM
Turns out the lock work is a tiny bit less stout than S&W, .
What is this assumption based on?? First I ever heard such a thing

atfsux
01-23-2024, 11:24 PM
What is this assumption based on?? First I ever heard such a thing

That was the information my gunsmith I took it to informed me of. This was back in the mid-80s, at a place no longer around called Matt's 10X Gunsmithing in Peoria, Arizona. Matt himself was a former police armorer from somewhere out of Commiefornia before he fled to Free America, and had extensive experience with S&W, Colt, Ruger and Dan Wesson revolvers. His position, as he explained it to me at the time, was that he liked the Dan Wessons because of how much easier they were to slick up their triggers and actions, but that the downside was their slightly greater susceptibility to getting out of whack from a steady diet of heavy recoiling loads. I just took him at his word because he was certainly more qualified than me to comment on such things, and I have simply regarded those statements as gospel since then. Not that I've sought out the argument, but I haven't had any other gunsmith argue against that position.

M-Tecs
01-23-2024, 11:42 PM
I've heard claims that the DW stood up better to heavy double action shooting like PPC competitions than a Python but not as good as a S&W. That was mostly timing issues.

some pics of the lock work here https://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/reloading/tuning-up-your-15-2-the-average-joe-method/

rintinglen
01-23-2024, 11:49 PM
@ Atfsux. I find, IME, that your gunsmith's opinion does not parallel mine.

The Dan Wesson 44's actions were much more durable than the S&W's of that era. That is not opinion, that is fact. The Silhouette shooters of those days proved it time and again. Further, I find the S&W action to be much more amenable to reason when it is time to lighten and smooth things. I realize that different people can have different experiences, but I am scratching my head trying to figure out how my experience can be so different from his.

racepres
01-24-2024, 09:28 AM
That was the information my gunsmith I took it to informed me of. This was back in the mid-80s, at a place no longer around called Matt's 10X Gunsmithing in Peoria, Arizona. Matt himself was a former police armorer from somewhere out of Commiefornia before he fled to Free America, and had extensive experience with S&W, Colt, Ruger and Dan Wesson revolvers. His position, as he explained it to me at the time, was that he liked the Dan Wessons because of how much easier they were to slick up their triggers and actions, but that the downside was their slightly greater susceptibility to getting out of whack from a steady diet of heavy recoiling loads. I just took him at his word because he was certainly more qualified than me to comment on such things, and I have simply regarded those statements as gospel since then. Not that I've sought out the argument, but I haven't had any other gunsmith argue against that position.

Sounds like what My experience and Gunsmith type friends said...Except the two are Reversed. There were Multitudes if "Gun Experts" back in the day, who Hated on The DW (and the Ruger BTW) saying they were made of Pot Metal etc.. Luckily, I listened to Experience..

Ed K
01-24-2024, 09:50 AM
Something else sounds funny about that gunsmith: saying of Dan Wessons "how much easier they were to slick up their triggers and actions" compared to S&W. My experience is that nobody is ever really completely satisfied with a Dan Wesson DA. The SA however can be quite good and for target, hunting, silhouette the DA doesn't generally matter so much. Anyhow bashing on the guy is not all that constructive and I realize you said you were relatively inexperienced and just took his word for it. The point is don't be afraid of a Dan!

Thin Man
01-26-2024, 09:26 AM
Years ago when I worked at our local police department the officers were allowed to carry any handgun with which they could qualify. Lots of various firearms were seen being worn then. Came the day when a knowledgeable handgun shooter came to work carrying a Dan Wesson. He bragged how he could swap out the barrels in different lengths to suit him. One of the other officers asked if he could handle the DW and gave it a good look-over. When he handed it back to the owner he stated: "I have carried a lot of different pistols on this job but I have never carried a PARTS GUN on duty." The very next day the DW owner came to work wearing a different handgun. Ouch...

dtknowles
01-26-2024, 03:47 PM
When something is this good, it is hard to get enough of them.

357 Max
357 mag/38 spcl
32-20
.22 rf

4, 6, 8 inch barrels,

Tim

pull the trigger
01-28-2024, 07:45 AM
That's more than I've seen in my life

hlvabeach
01-28-2024, 08:08 AM
Here's a DW Pistol pack I picked up last month from Gun Broker. Manufactured sometime in 2018. It came with a 4", 6", and 8" barrel. I've been shooting it with the 6" barrel. I am very impressed with the trigger pull and accuracy.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240128/6f32ac48ac6f5d858af3b2dfcdd4baa9.jpg

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

georgerkahn
01-28-2024, 09:30 AM
hivabeach -- how times have changed a bit? My Dan Wesson 15-2V was made in 1978 and the pistol pac case has cloth-covered foam. (The case I purchased apparently belonged to a chain-cigarette smoker and it seemed to take "forever" using bright summer sun and aquarium filter charcoal to 99.999% get rid of the smell!) The molded plastic of yours sure seems a better approach! I posted (January 6) here above; re-posting the photo of my pac to make it easy to see "then" versus "now". For mine, I have the 2 1/2", 4", 6", 8", and 10" barrels; mine being their "bright blue" (as opposed to the stainless, as yours is) model. 322708

Bmi48219
01-28-2024, 02:14 PM
A lady at the range last week came in with a NIB DW 357, I’m guessing a 6” barrel. She had just picked it up that afternoon and the LGS pickup label was still taped on the case.
At 21 feet it was hitting 4-5” to the left. I tried it and got about the same results. On closer inspection you could see the front sight was an easy mil or so off to the right.

TCLouis
01-31-2024, 11:31 PM
A lady at the range last week came in with a NIB DW 357, I’m guessing a 6” barrel. She had just picked it up that afternoon and the LGS pickup label was still taped on the case.
At 21 feet it was hitting 4-5” to the left. I tried it and got about the same results. On closer inspection you could see the front sight was an easy mil or so off to the right.

Loosen the nut, turn the "shroud" a tad, tighten the nut, might fix that.

M-Tecs
02-01-2024, 12:15 AM
Loosen the nut, turn the "shroud" a tad, tighten the nut, might fix that.

The shroud has a locating pin. You cannot rotate the shroud. Not sure about the older models but including the 15-2 and everything after that has the locating pin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tW1X9TcMQN0&t=163s

dtknowles
02-01-2024, 01:09 AM

Is there not enough adjustment in the rear sight to get it to aim to the point of impact?

Tim

missionary5155
02-01-2024, 08:45 AM
Bought our 1st DW .357 in 78 in Chatanooga, TN. Fired at least 2000 of rounds through it using 180 grain GC WW slugs pushed with 296 ( I will not post that load) through a 10" barrel steel critter competition. Still have that revolver and after many more K's of .357 rounds loads with 200 grains down to 155 it is still as accurate as day one. I watched many SW .357's get scraped on the steel critter line.
We also have a pile of them now. Never will sell one. All shoot well. Most are excellent. 32-20 right up to the .445 Supermag. They are superb and well made.
Did have one used model 15-2 bought used that someone bent the crane on it. DW fixed it free.
We also have many SW's and they are OK. Lighter made for carry and OK accurate for general life. But they will not take what a average DW can be subjected to.
Then add in the easy barrel change and cylinder gap control plus the barrel tension and there is no comparison to any other factory made revolver.
Yes I am biased ! But near 50 years shooting DW's and most of the other options has done that.

pull the trigger
02-01-2024, 08:19 PM
Love the stories every one

dtknowles
02-02-2024, 07:39 PM
Hot just back from shooting my Dan Wesson .22 RF Revolver. Picture tells a couple stories. Mostly says this gun will shoot 1" five shot groups at 25 yards if you do your part. Even better if you are a better shot than me.

First 5 shots have the haze around the holes because I covered them up to shoot the second 5 shots. Same gun, same ammo same rest just minutes apart. What I changed was my grip on the gun. For the second 5 shots I gripped the gun more firmly and was paying attention to gripping it the same for each shot. Firm but not crushing. The first group had that flyer at 12 o'clock and a lot of vertical stringing. The second group stuck together better, it is right at 1" center to center. All 10 shots make a less than 2.5 inch group which is not that shabby but the gun is better than that, I am better than that if I stay focused.

Tim