PDA

View Full Version : Real Shotshells 357 Gage

GP100man
02-16-2009, 11:03 PM
i finally got to a "roundtuit" & made some 357 shotshells from maximum cases:

1, 357 max cases annealed at the mouths to prevent spring back when sized ,i only use rcbs size lube.

2, size in 222rem. die as far as possible without hitting the shoulder area of die.

3, cut your cards with a formed case, regular 357 cards are too big. (i sacificed 1 unannealed case & drilled the primer hole out the size of a 16 penny nail with the point ground off then took a triangled file & cut some teeth on the rim & sharpened with a chamfer tool.
i spin these with a lee trim holder on a block of wood & a cordless drill .
note more than 10 cuts are harder to push out )

4, seat your cci400 small rifle primer & i dropped 3gr. of clays , pushed a card on top ( i take the nail head & pack it tight)

5, i weighed 145gr of #9 shot (thats almost 2x what factory holds!!)
cover with a card (pack & straighten the card with nail head) then seal with water proof carpenters glue. let glue dry24 hrs. or it will get smeared in the barrel. (don`t ask how i know!!)

5A, i use the 222die a little lower in the press to put a little roll on the mouth to help hold it all in.
this is done before sealing with WATER PROOF carpenters glue

6, these work in a GP length cyl. & shoot to POA at 20 ft. i shot both layers of a pizza box & the whole load hit it & penetrated soda cans (both sides) that were behind the box!! have not tried em in the 4" or 3 " yet!!!

i want to say that this method works in MY gun & i assume no liability for any BOO BOOs that may arise in your situation!!!

my opinion is that for close quarters of the crawling kind the pattern will not spread enuff!!! when it gets fast & close!!!!

& a THANKS to 357Maximum for pointing me in the rite direction for the forming die!!

GP100man:castmine:

jameslovesjammie
02-17-2009, 05:00 PM
How thick of paper did you us for your top cards? Would it be possible to use a little thicker paper and put a light roll crimp at the end of the case, ala wadcutter style? This would hold in the shot and you wouldn't have to use the glue.

Now I've got to get some Max cases! My 686 has the same cylinder length as your GP, so length shouldn't be an issue.

Old Ironsights
02-17-2009, 05:41 PM
Try adding a single #B (.177 BB) to the top of the #9. Should act like a "bean spreader".

GP100man
02-17-2009, 07:32 PM
james
i use cereal box type paper& have no problems , but the glue helps hold the card in under recoil.
i forgot to put the step in about using the 222die to roll the mouths a little , i`ll put that in there. Thanks.

Old Ironsights
i tried a #4 shot & it made a void in the pattern a big one!!!!
been thinkin of uping powder a little???

GP100man:cbpour:

Hobie
02-17-2009, 08:09 PM
Couldn't one use a .223 Rem die? I might have to "sacrifice" a couple of my .357 Max cases to try this out.

GP100man
02-17-2009, 09:54 PM
Hobie
WELCOME to the :cbpour: Forum!!!
i see your join date & post count , it don`t add up????
anyways were all here to help & learn & enjoy our obsession!!!!!

i had to compare drawings , it should work .
223 is .200" longer to shoulder & .004" smaller at the shoulder it`ll cut down on available space a little but not enuff to go buy a set of 222rem.
the 222 dies were`nt stickin out the bottom of the threads in the press so you should have plenty of room for the .200"

GP100man:castmine: