PDA

View Full Version : What is the purpose of paper patching?

Reddot
02-16-2009, 11:02 PM
Inquiring minds want to know.

docone31
02-16-2009, 11:15 PM
You will get a lot of answers here.
To me, paper patching is insulating lead from direct contact with steel. This eliminates the shock of going from linear to rotational without smearing the lead on the rifleing. It provides what jacketeds try to do.
Example,
My .303 British is the most miserable targeting rifle in standard jacketed diameter. Cast some lead, patch to .314, and I get a 1" group at 100yds. I run my loads full tilt rather than soft loads as with cast loads.
Essentially, I can push cast boolittts at jacketed velocities without leading or losing accuracy.
It also polishes the bore, deleading as it goes..

Bullshop
02-17-2009, 01:56 AM
I think its so you kin shoost yer 25 cal boolits in yer 264 or yer 270 boolits in yer 7mm or maybe they is for shoostin yer 348 cal boolits in yer 35 cal or maybe yer 9.3mm's in yer 375 or yer 43's in yer 44's or yer 44's in yer 45 or ect ect ect.
Get the idea?

Reddot
02-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Soooo... if you had a gun who's barrel was a tad larger than your sizing die one could compensate for that by wrapping the bullet in paper? Can you direct me to an article on this process?

02-17-2009, 01:46 PM
Well, there is a ton in this section and archives (Paper Patching) of the castboolits site. Here :coffee:
Also, a good reference is Matthew's book The Paper Jacket
and Mike Venturino's book Shooting Buffalo Rifles of the Old West has a chapter devoted to PP.
And, posts by KW aka the Lunger and others are a good source, here and on the Shiloh forum.
And, here's a link to Brent D's paper on PP. http://www.public.iastate.edu/%7Ejessie/PPB/PPB.htm

Oughta keep you busy for a while :mrgreen:

Bullshop
02-17-2009, 02:12 PM
Yes Sir yer catchin on. I think the most comonly patched caliber is 45.
Reason being 45 cal tools both pistol and rifle are so comonly available.
What I am tryin ta say but not doin so well is every gun nut either has or has access to a 45 pistol boolit sizer die ( .451"/.452") and a 45 rifle die (.458"/.459" and if so can make thier 45 rifle molds serve double duty as both lubed greese groove or paper patch.
Get the idea? Of cource at the point at which you are enlightened to patching your .451's to .459" andother light will go off and you will wander down a new path of patching to bore diameter. You must crawl before you can walk grasshopper.
Here is a sneak preview into bore diameter patching aimed at sparking the interest.
How about muzzle loading the boolit for perfect alignment or breach seating for same with the boolit fully in the barrel and no transition from chamber to barrel upon firing. Ah the good old days! So much forgotten thanks to progress.
Learn well grasshopper!
BIC/BS

BrentD
02-17-2009, 04:32 PM
I see no one has posted the most important reason which is:

To look and feel your best when addressing the target in a formal situation. :)

Bullshop
02-17-2009, 08:53 PM
Well sure but that just goes without saying.

WildmanJack
02-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Bullshop,
I've been thinkin of paperpatching some boolets for my new .45-70 Sharps. The only moulds I have all have grease grooves. Will that cause a problem in the paper patching, or shoul I just go for it??? Thanks,
Jack

docone31
02-17-2009, 09:19 PM
Read the thread I started on Paper Patching the .303 British.
I have also read of others that have done this in the larger calibers.
I would do it to try, and get a furly shurly paper mold if you like it. I stayed with useing conventional castings and sizing them down. I found, in my case, the sized lands looked like they held the paper through the bore.
I got excellent results with mine.

P Patcher
02-17-2009, 10:06 PM
Bullshop,
I couldn't have said it better, you truly can be a master at communication. Only thing you left out was the pushing pure lead fast without leading.
Addison

NSP64
02-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Wildman, I have paperpatched for my .270 win using as cast boolits(.278) patched and sized. The trick is to get the right combination of paper thickness and wraps to give your boolit bore diameter (+.001) after sizing.

docone31
02-17-2009, 10:34 PM
I donno.
I think, if the patch is close, that meaning within .005, the die also does some final sizing on the casting as well.
I have stuffed some fat patches through the die and gotten good results.

montana_charlie
02-17-2009, 11:15 PM
I might like to buy a furly shurly paper mold, but I'm not certain I would recognize it if I saw one...
CM

Bullshop
02-18-2009, 02:42 AM
P Patcher
Me a master at comunication?!? OH I am flatered!! But not naive enough to agree.
What I have found is that even with a PP pure lead still has a velocity limit and the quicker the twist the greater the limit.
For really hot loads in something like a 30 cal with a 1/10" I would prefer acww.
Wildmanjack
Say didnt you used to be a DJ back east in the late 70's early 80's?
Dont you worry none about them grooves. I have some NEI molds that are specifically for PP and they are grooved.
Docone31
Depends on how hard the casting is. If its too hard it will likely just tear the patch.
BIC/BS

pdawg_shooter
02-18-2009, 09:08 AM
Bullshop,
I've been thinkin of paperpatching some boolets for my new .45-70 Sharps. The only moulds I have all have grease grooves. Will that cause a problem in the paper patching, or shoul I just go for it??? Thanks,
Jack

Jack, my best loads for my 45-70 are all with grease groove bullets. I size them .4515 in a Lee push through die, wrap with 2 wraps of 16# paper, and lube with BAC. Load them ocer a powder that will give me as close as possible to 100% load density and go shooting.

RMulhern
02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Bullshop,
Jack

:groner:[smilie=b::killingpc:groner:

montana_charlie
02-20-2009, 11:30 PM
:groner:[smilie=b::killingpc:groner:
Hang in there, Pard. It can't keep happening forever...I hope
CM

45 2.1
02-21-2009, 11:47 AM
FPMIII & MC, you guys need to remember this is the PP forum, NOT the BP forum. Remember that and you'll get along good here..........................

montana_charlie
02-22-2009, 02:30 PM
Sounds kinda like a warning, doesn't it?

rhead
02-22-2009, 03:23 PM
The grooves will not cause a problem. If you size first do not use lube or lube with dish soap or some other water soluble slickum. If you lube after wrapping use JPW or liquid alox. Sticking the paper to the bullet will cause accuracy to deteriate.

RMulhern
02-22-2009, 03:54 PM
Sounds kinda like a warning, doesn't it?

MC

So I guess it's not PC to :killingpc & :groner: on here!!

montana_charlie
02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
You would probably be allowed to if...................
CM

45 2.1
02-23-2009, 07:21 PM
You two need to lighten up, you give it out and can't take it, lands sakes..................................

RMulhern
02-23-2009, 07:45 PM
You two need to lighten up, you give it out and can't take it, lands sakes..................................

Oh...no no no....we can take anything thrown at us....but it's highly obvious that it's VERBOTEN and not PC to use :killingpc & :groner: here so it would be best if you just removed these icons!:drinks:

leftiye
02-23-2009, 10:32 PM
Ya shud a noticed FMP - PC is verboten here. Pi$$ and moan if you wish!:kidding:

docone31
02-24-2009, 12:55 AM
Hey, I like it when the gloves come off!
You can tell some of the folks have been at it for some time.
Life is too short, take off the gloves and have at it.
Where else can we go these days?