PDA

View Full Version : Lee REAL boolits

Krh1326
01-05-2024, 10:09 AM
Hi All,

Does anyone here use the Lee REAL boolits? If one were to powder coat them, would you still need lube? With all of the other smokeless cartridges that I load, if coated, no need for lube…. Wondering if that applies here, with BP or Pyrodex….

FergusonTO35
01-05-2024, 11:16 AM
I use the 250's and 300's. Biggest problem I've had is that they come out undersize if the mold isn't hot enough or your casting technique is off. They are harder to load than others too. I now use PRB or Maxi Hunters in mine, so I could make you a deal on the molds if you like. I would be happy to send you a handful of the boolits to try, just let me know.

BamaNapper
01-05-2024, 02:22 PM
I wondered the same, but other threads on here have mentioned that the lube does more than just prevent leading. Apparently it would become more difficult to remove fouling. The consensus was PC if you wish, but still use lube either on the bullet or on an over powder wad. Sorry, I haven't tried as I was convinced it may just cause other issues.

Krh1326
01-05-2024, 05:34 PM
I wonder if a coat or two of PC, lubed or not, would help the undersize?

Hellgate
01-06-2024, 01:40 AM
I highly doubt that powder coating would would be at all effective at keeping fouling soft. If the R.E.A.L. bullet were PC'd I'd still slather BP lube into the generous lube grooves. The R.E.A.L. bullets shot well in my rifled musket .58