PDA

View Full Version : 45acp question

DukeSoprano
01-04-2024, 10:44 PM
I am loading these SNS 200gr RN for my competition S&W 625, just wondering if I am ok at this length. They do work great.

jaysouth
01-04-2024, 11:09 PM
Your revolver will tell if it's right. The gospel is 1.25 max for 1911s. Revolvers may be different.

G W Wade
01-05-2024, 12:14 AM
Length to me doesn't matter. I wonder if the shoulder on the bullet will hangup on the cylinder when using moon clips GW

Plate plinker
01-05-2024, 12:24 AM
Length to me doesn't matter. I wonder if the shoulder on the bullet will hangup on the cylinder when using moon clips GW
That would be my concern. Can a efficient and speedy reload be performed.

Baltimoreed
01-05-2024, 12:30 AM
They should work fine except it doesn’t show much if any crimp. Crimp is important to create the pressure needed plus in a revolver it keeps the other bullets from moving forward during recoil. They would probably not work in an automatic as there is too much shoulder showing and it would be engaging into the rifling.

gwpercle
01-05-2024, 06:57 PM
The boolit looks like it will be an accurate one . The front driving band ceners the round in the chamber and at times helps accuracy .
Just give the reloading with moon clips a good workout and see if that exposed driving band hits any snags ... it may not !
If that boolit does like to hang up try one of the Truncated Cone designs ...
like the Lee 452-230-TC , these are "slick sided " with nothing to hang up on .

I have a Taurus 455 , 45 acp revolver and with full moon clips the Truncated Cone boolit designs feed well .
I also have the NOE #453-223-TC that is a slick feeder...get it with hollow point pins and it's a very versatile boolit ... I love it with a big penta point HP cast in it !
Gary

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-05-2024, 10:25 PM
just wondering if I am ok at this length?
I don't understand the question?

stubshaft
01-05-2024, 10:27 PM
Should be fine.

DukeSoprano
01-06-2024, 11:27 AM
I was wondering if that design bullet was ok to load at that length or if it had to be loaded deeper to the top (rim)?
It works great as it is in my revolver and I am shooting a match tonight.
I loaded some yesterday and did go with a shorter OAL, those also drop into my revolver great.
I will try and chrono them next week. I am attempting to get a nice soft load for ICORE and these SNS bullets are long so seating them with an OAL of 1.25 takes up a lot of space in the case which increases pressure. I learned that even though the min. PF for ICORE is 120, it is virtually impossible to get below 140 without unburnt powder.

Rich/WIS
01-06-2024, 01:56 PM
If it doesn't stick out the front of the cylinder it is not too long. The OAL measurement is meant for 1911 and similar autos.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-06-2024, 02:37 PM
SNIP>>>

I learned that even though the min. PF for ICORE is 120, it is virtually impossible to get below 140 without unburnt powder.
I'd use Red Dot or Promo.
You can seat as long as the gun's chambers will allow.

georgerkahn
01-06-2024, 02:58 PM
I was wondering if that design bullet was ok to load at that length or if it had to be loaded deeper to the top (rim)?
It works great as it is in my revolver and I am shooting a match tonight.
I loaded some yesterday and did go with a shorter OAL, those also drop into my revolver great.
I will try and chrono them next week. I am attempting to get a nice soft load for ICORE and these SNS bullets are long so seating them with an OAL of 1.25 takes up a lot of space in the case which increases pressure. I learned that even though the min. PF for ICORE is 120, it is virtually impossible to get below 140 without unburnt powder.

My "rule of thumb" is, all else being equal, it is "safe" to seat a bullet a smidgen less than loading manual indicates. HOWEVER, seating same bullet a smidgen DEEPER than specified exponentially increases pressure! As yours is the former, as long as the cylinder turns, you should be OK!~
geo

justindad
01-07-2024, 08:00 PM
Seating deeper will help you get to a reduced load with a cleaner burn. On the other hand, if you’re using a fast powder to get a reduced load then seating deeper than the load manual says could cause the pressure to go far above expectations.
What load data source & powder are you using?