PDA

View Full Version : Is there anyway to use Lee Breech lock bullet sizers in a normal press

WantGrape
01-04-2024, 09:06 PM
Any way to use this in a normal press or can it only work in lee breech lock presses? Cause spending $9 per size is better than $20 for a normal lee sizing die.321742

kenton
01-04-2024, 09:18 PM
https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit

Looks like this is what you need.

WantGrape
01-04-2024, 09:34 PM
https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit

Looks like this is what you need.

Right, but I was wondering if there was an option for die/sizer housing that fit in a normal non breech lock press

Kenstone
01-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Sizing dies for a "normal press".
https://leeprecision.com/search?q=bullet+sizing+die
jmo,

elmacgyver0
01-04-2024, 09:41 PM
Just checked, won't work.

WantGrape
01-04-2024, 09:44 PM
Sizing dies for a "normal press".
https://leeprecision.com/search?q=bullet+sizing+die
jmo,

That's what I normally use, but figure if I could get away with somehow using the $9 bushing it would save money. Unless I have to buy a dedicated press. But I might get one of those cheap lee presses, I was thinking of trying to use one as a powder stand.

Recycled bullet
01-04-2024, 09:47 PM
I'm sizing bullets with a Lee hand press.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-04-2024, 09:52 PM
NOE sells size bushings and the die kit for his bushings.

WantGrape
01-04-2024, 09:53 PM
Just checked, won't work.

Ok thanks. Guess it wouldnt make sense for lee to make a housing for these bushings that fit in a normal press and still make the other style push through sizers at the same time. Then again RCBS is making a rock chucker and a rebel at the same time so go figure that out.

elmacgyver0
01-04-2024, 10:04 PM
Ok thanks. Guess it wouldnt make sense for lee to make a housing for these bushings that fit in a normal press and still make the other style push through sizers at the same time. Then again RCBS is making a rock chucker and a rebel at the same time so go figure that out.

The sizer (big round part with the hole in it) barely slides into the threaded area of a "normal" press, not enough area to make a holder for it.
The big Classic press that Lee makes that takes the .50 BMG dies would probably work, but don't know if they make the parts, never checked.

WantGrape
01-04-2024, 10:10 PM
NOE sells size bushings and the die kit for his bushings.

Oooh now that's interesting. Looks like it's currently sold out. Looks like lot of sizes available too

tunnug
01-04-2024, 10:14 PM
Lee sells a bushing conversion for the Rock Chucker for their breech lock items, the only drawback is that they made it out of plastic, works fine just wonder for how long.

WantGrape
01-04-2024, 10:34 PM
Lee sells a bushing conversion for the Rock Chucker for their breech lock items, the only drawback is that they made it out of plastic, works fine just wonder for how long.

Thanks for the ideas. Using a JR2 for sizing, it doesnt have a removable thread bushing.

Coopaloop86
01-05-2024, 06:24 AM

This is what I use to size, havent had any issues so far. I just unscrew the Rock Chucker collar and thread in the Lee. Had it for a year or two.

jdgabbard
01-05-2024, 01:59 PM
If one has a lathe, one could turn a new die along with a new ram extension to make it work. But unfortunately there isn't a solution for making the Lee bushing work unless you have a Lee press with the collet lock on it. NOE does make a die kit I think for his bushings, which are cheaper than the Lees. But the initial cost is a little more, and it is incompatible with the Lee bushings.

Kenstone
01-05-2024, 03:03 PM
That's what I normally use, but figure if I could get away with somehow using the $9 bushing it would save money. Unless I have to buy a dedicated press.
I use this press and a bullet feeder:
Had to add that loop spring to the feeder to get it to work.
jmo,