PDA

View Full Version : Baking Cups for patching?

HPT
02-16-2009, 10:40 PM
Just measured 3 brands of paper baking cups the wife has. One was .0023" thick (same as #9 onion skin?) and the other 2 were .0020" thick. Anyone tried this for a patch material? Comes "crinkled" but flattens out wet.

docone31
02-16-2009, 10:43 PM
Too much waste.
Get some printer paper. I use the 8 X 11 size. You get a lot of patches from that. If you need to, you can triple wrap. I have done triples a few times. It works out ok.
Onion skin is .0015.

rhead
02-17-2009, 06:01 AM
Too hard to get the flutes out, too hard to get the wax (or whatever they treat them with) out, price per unit would be way too high when compared too alternatives that are already flat and wetable.

pdawg_shooter
02-17-2009, 09:11 AM
Place where I work prints reports on green stripe paper, the type that has the tractor drive holes on both sides. They print a stack about 6" high every month that they just pitch. I take home all I can use for free. It is 16# and works just right to increase bullet diameter .010. This is about the only paper I use now.

montana_charlie
02-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Too much waste.
Get some printer paper. I use the 8 X 11 size. You get a lot of patches from that.
I am using 25% rag onionskin on a .450" bullet.
I cut my 'strips' across the width of a page of paper because that direction is 'across the grain'.
Because the dimensions of my patch have been adjusted for the bullet I use...and the length of the 8.5-inch strip, I can get exactly three full patches from each strip.

Since I can get 11 strips from a piece of paper, that's 33 patches from one standard sheet.
A ream of 500 sheets costs $23 and will produce 16,500 patches.

Unless a shooter needs some hard-to-find thickness, not the .0024" of this particular onionskin, I can't see spending time searching trash cans, kitchen cabinets, or museum vaults for patching paper...and you certainly can't object to the price of 717 patches for a dollar.

CM

Red River Rick
02-17-2009, 02:44 PM
...and you certainly can't object to the price of 717 patches for a dollar.

CM

I don't know. After spending all that money on a rifle, custom bullet mould, Soule sights, brass and all the other stuff needed, I'm down to my last few cents.

Being unemployed, destitute and no friends, paper baking cups may be the way I'll have to go. [smilie=1:

RRR

montana_charlie
02-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm down to my last few cents.
That's because when somebody sends you money, you cut it up to make patches.
You're supposed to use it to buy paper...
CM

Red River Rick
02-17-2009, 10:40 PM
If I recall correctly, at one time, "Bank Note" paper was used for Paper Patching.

Wanting to be as historically accurate as possible, I decide to use "Money" as a paper medium. Things went fine, until my country got rid of the "one" and "two" dollar bills, then Paper Patching started to get expensive. Now, having to use five and ten dollar bills, quickly make for an expensive hobby.

But the good side is, everytime I went out shooting, I noticed that my groups kept tighening up and getting smaller. And not because the paper made a difference, but rather, my shooting became so expensive that I didn't dare waste any ammo, and I made every shot count.

They say that $100 bills make the best patching material, every shot will be a Bulls-eye.

RRR

montana_charlie
02-17-2009, 11:10 PM
You must believe that we were all born last night...

HPT
02-17-2009, 11:24 PM
So the wife picked me up some tracing paper (cause she wanted her baking cups back). The one was Hilroy and measured .0024" thick but no indication of the paper weight. The other is Bienfang and measures .0020" thick and says its 24 lb paper.

I also ordered 9 lb onion skin paper from Buffalo arms

Why is 24 lb tracing paper as thin or thinner than 9 lb onion skin paper? and is tracing paper just as good?

docone31
02-17-2009, 11:35 PM
.0020 should make a great start. I started with .0015 Meade Traceing Paper. I ended up with three wraps untill I switched to printer paper, at .004. I stayed there and size down.
So far so good. I use two wraps with printer, or lined notebook paper.