PDA

View Full Version : Choice of conicals

dfwdon
02-16-2009, 08:00 PM
Good afternoon all,
I just got my new barrel for my Lyman Deerstalker. I now have a .50 cal front stuffer to feed and care for. This new barrel has a 1:48 twist and I have decided I need to shoot some conicals. I will be buying a mold and casting of course but am looking for some opinions on two different ones that I like. Has anyone out there shot both the Lyman Great plains bullet and the Maxi-ball?
I sure like the look of the Great Plains bullet more but looks only matter till it is down the barrel.
I appreciate any feedback or knowlege you can share.

Thanks,
Don

357maximum
02-16-2009, 09:06 PM
I would look real closely at the 250grain lee R.E.A.L mould...I am having big success with them in a pair of 1/48 50's. The 275 maxihunter shines also, but moulds are not there..it would be a custom thing to get a mould like that.

I seat the 250gr reals over a 9/16X 1/8' hard dry felt and 72 to 84 grains of Wano shutzen or goex 2 and 3 f. Ripping holes at 75 all the time , and most of the time at 100...buckhorn sights .......and I have been a scope shooter my whole life.

Flinchrock
02-16-2009, 09:34 PM
Good afternoon all,
I just got my new barrel for my Lyman Deerstalker. I now have a .50 cal front stuffer to feed and care for. This new barrel has a 1:48 twist and I have decided I need to shoot some conicals. I will be buying a mold and casting of course but am looking for some opinions on two different ones that I like. Has anyone out there shot both the Lyman Great plains bullet and the Maxi-ball?
I sure like the look of the Great Plains bullet more but looks only matter till it is down the barrel.
I appreciate any feedback or knowlege you can share.

Thanks,
Don

I think I would go for the Maxi in that barrel,,,

Maven
02-20-2009, 06:09 PM
dfwdon, I often shoot conical bullets in an inline rifle with a 1:28 twist. Lee makes a 250gr. as well as a 320gr. REAL (conical) bullet mold: I purchased each of those molds, but they cast too small for my rifle and produced only mediocre accuracy. However, I have tried T/C and Lyman Maxi-Balls in my current rifle as well as one with a 1:48" twist. Both Maxi- molds produced projectiles that were superbly accurate (50 shots touching @ 50 yds. from a rest in both the 1:28" and 1:48" twists). I've also tried pre-cast, pre-lubed T/C Maxi-Hunters, which approximates a hollow-pointed cylindrical shape, but my 1:28" twist rifle didn't care for them at all. As for the Hornady Great Plains swaged conicals, I agree, they do look nice, but at 385grs. and 410grs., your 1:48" rifling may not stabilize them. Flinchrock is right, the Maxi-Ball is the way to go, especially since both Lyman and T/C molds in excellent condition can be found pretty commonly on the auction sites.

dfwdon
02-20-2009, 11:23 PM
I think the Maxi is around 370 Gr.
Thanks for the advice.

Don

RugerFan
02-21-2009, 07:44 AM
I used to have a Traditions Hawken style ML with 1:48 twist. That Great Plains bullet was noticeabley more accurate in that gun than the maxi-ball or Lee REAL bullet.

frontier gander
02-21-2009, 11:36 PM
Well i have 3 of those cabelas sporterized hawkens, 2 50s and one 45 carbine. Heres a picture of that little 45 struntin its stuff with a 225gr aerotip powerbelt and 80gr pyrodex rs. 58 yards, factory sights.
This rifle would not shoot maxiballs or great plains bullets to save your live.
http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm53/thepowerbeltforum/275grPART2-80gr.jpg

02-22-2009, 12:11 AM
You really have just got to shoot it & see. Maxi-balls have alway been best for me. And do they hit with authority. In my in-line, I like the T/C Shock Wave only because I haven't gotten around to trying the maxi yet. So much experimenting left to do !!!!!!!

Gerry N.
02-22-2009, 05:21 PM
If you're gonna hunt in WA in the primitive season remember that you are required to use real black powder, a pure lead projectile with no sabot and must have an arm with exposed ignition.

Other than that, I'd suggest you beg, borrow or buy a few of each projectile you're considering and test 'em

A .490" round ball weighs 180 grains and will kill very dead any deer on the continent. It will more than likely be the most accurate projectile you'll find.

Gerry N.

dfwdon
03-04-2009, 10:50 PM
Well I went out to the range and shot a bunch of Great plains bullets from my Lyman mold. I am happy to announce that these were very accurate at 50 yards. Opened up a bit at 100 yards but that was due to me. With 90 gr. of Pyrodex Select, I got an average velocity of 1390 fps. I also cast up a bunch of maxis butwillhave to wait to try them out. So far I am very happy with the Lyman GP bullet.

Gerry,
You are right on the ignition but Washington does allow black powder substitue and is even proposing to allow non-lead projectiles this year.

Don