PDA

View Full Version : Shipping costs.???

Recycled bullet
12-30-2023, 05:33 PM
What is the most cost effective way to mail some bullets to a friend?

country gent
12-30-2023, 06:00 PM
The usps flat rate boxes rate is hard to beat. its a good weight to cost ratio.
cast and lubed bullets I would look for the styrofoam ammo trays stack the bullets in them cover with another and tape no damage no rattle 2 or 3 should fit in a small flat rate box.

steveu
12-30-2023, 06:02 PM
Go to Pirate Ship dot com. I use it a lot to ship bullets to rifles.

M-Tecs
12-30-2023, 06:43 PM

Thanks, ever heard of them but they sound like a great option.

https://clark.com/save-money/pirate-ship-review/

imashooter2
12-30-2023, 06:59 PM
Wrap the boolits in USPS Tyvek bags and place those inside a USPS Flat Rate padded bubble mailer. This is what I’ve found best for a few hundred. Stands up to abuse far better than a box unless you reinforce the heck out of it. Easily exceeds the capacity of a small FRB at the same cost.

MUSTANG
12-30-2023, 07:37 PM
Keep in mind:

U.S. Postal Service Proposes New Prices scheduled to take effect Jan. 21, 2024
First-Class Forever stamp will be 68 cents. Other shipping will increase about 5%.

I did not find any citations of Flat Rate Shipping increasing - but I could have missed it too.

Outer Rondacker
12-30-2023, 07:45 PM
What he said

rockrat
12-30-2023, 07:50 PM
Using a Tyvek envelope is a good idea. Even if the box gets broken, the tyvek should hold the bullets(boolits)

Recycled bullet
12-30-2023, 07:51 PM
Lots of boolits.

Bmi48219
12-30-2023, 10:38 PM
I’ve shipped and received a lot of brass and bullets. When a package leaves, be it my home or a manufacturing plant, it looks like a box. How it looks upon arrival depends on how well it was packed and how it was handled en route. Things to consider:
- most carriers have weight limits. Seventy pounds sticks in my memory. That’s a little over 4,200 bullets (9mm 115 gr). In the past I’ve waited for a Berry’s or Xtreme sale and ordered 8 to 10 thousand pistol bullets. From Xtreme they’d arrive as four or five large boxes with four 500-bullet boxes in each. I figure a company that ships tons of bullets daily must have a plan.

- most of the bullet companies I’ve dealt with use UPS, I’m sure they get a special volume rate. I didn’t find them competitive with USPS for my purposes.
- I’m pretty sure you could fit the aforementioned 4,200 bullets in a USPS MFRB. you’ll definitely want to double the box (Amazon and Walmart both ship in boxes that will fit tightly inside a MFRB). And put a full height divider bulkhead in the middle to reduce the chance of crushing. Between postage and tape and gasoline, those 4,200 bullets will cost you around a penny a piece to ship.
- invest in a roll or two of reinforced strapping tape ($6 at WM) and wrap the entire doubled-up box if you’re shipping more than 20 lbs.
- seams will split, corners will rip but the strapping tape will save the shipment. I’ve had LFRB’s arrive at the destination looking like pillows. But full pillows.
- if package condition is an indication, the dock hands at UPS are more careful than those at USPS.
Good luck!