PDA

View Full Version : Protectors for short dies with long stems

pertnear
12-30-2023, 05:31 PM
If you load shorter cartridges you may find that the die manufacturer still uses full length die stems. These stick up high enough to be the cause of an accident. If you reach over behind your press you can possibly scratch your arm. Even worse, if you bend offer you could poke yourself in the face. I ordered some thread protectors from Amazon & put them on the stems that stick way up. Cheap safety tip - just FYI...

321548 321549

45_Colt
12-31-2023, 04:40 AM
The long stems are a pain. I've been known to cut them shorter, clean up the cut end making it nice and smooth. Then cutting a new screwdriver slot. Also saves the toolheads with dies in them from getting tangled together while sitting in the drawer.

Barring this the thread protectors are a good idea. Having the stems the normal length is also an idea as they can be used as a spare.

45_Colt

RustyReel
12-31-2023, 06:11 AM
That is a very good idea. Every little bump seems to make me bruise and/or bleed these days. I have some of those in my hurricane shutter kit as I use them to cover the screws that don't get removed when the shutters come off. Gotta dig them out!

wilecoyote
12-31-2023, 06:48 AM
...even worse, the stems have some attraction for scratching not me only, but my guns when out the safe and handled around here...
thank you, sir !