PDA

View Full Version : custom gun

targetshootr
02-16-2009, 06:08 PM
Got back a 45 colt flat top today from Andy Horvath. He turned the New Frontier barrel one thread, tightened the cylinder, fit a new base pin, set the b/c gap and endshake, timed the action and sent it back. The finish was good so I asked not to reblue anything to save money. Can't wait to shoot this one. It may be all the gun you'd ever need.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b233/targetshootr/DSCN4258.jpg

dpaqu
02-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Looks good.

couple of newbie questions. "turned the New Frontier barrel one thread" What does that mean? Closed the barrel cylinder gap by screwing the barrel in another thread? or is it something else? (put on a new barrel which required cutting a new thread)

How much accuracy is realized by doing these things?

How much would work like this typically cost?

I ask because I am contemplating doing something similar.

nicholst55
02-17-2009, 01:22 AM
Just out of curiosity, what's the groove diameter on that Colt barrel?

targetshootr
02-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Yes he turned the barrel shoulder, which doesn't require a new thread, to get the right barrel/cyl gap. With a fitted base pin and a crisp trigger all help accuracy and velocity. I wouldn't know the barrel groove diameter.

Cherokee
02-17-2009, 12:01 PM
Andy Horvath is MY gunsmith - He does all my gun work. Top notch and just up the road from me. Good work is not cheap but Andy is not trying to get rich on one gun. I'll bet it will shoot as great as it looks. So be sure to let us know your range results.

targetshootr
02-17-2009, 05:49 PM
Cherokee, not sure what I'll do if he ever retires. He's probably done a dozen guns for me so far.