PDA

View Full Version : How Deep Do 22LR Boolits Go Into the Dirt?

Four-Sixty
12-29-2023, 05:29 PM
I wonder, of all the 22LR boolits fired into the berms at shooting ranges, how far do those little buggers go? I see tons of 38 and 45 caliber bullets sitting atop the berm, but no 22 cal boolits. Anyone dig into a berm far enough to find out how far the 22 cal boolits tend to go?

elmacgyver0
12-29-2023, 05:38 PM
Depends on upon the dirt.

dondiego
12-29-2023, 05:56 PM
My main goal as a 6 year old kid was to dig out the bullets my dad shot into the dirt. I was an expert! It was a scientific endeavor and I later actually became a scientist! Most of those he shot for me were .22's. After I sniffed as much of the wonderfully smelling powder that was expelled, I immediately started digging into the dirt. I found out that I could detect the travel of the bullet by watching the gray streak that the bullet left as it traveled through the medium. As was stated above, the distance was based on the type of soil, the density, dampness, whether the bullet was a round nose solid, or my dad's favorite bullfrog medicine, the hollow point, and the angle of the strike. I have seen 22's go 2 inches into the ground and I have seen them go 6 inches in. I wish that I still had my collection of .22 slugs that I recovered. Those were not discarded however, they were recycled when I was 15 and started to cast! I needed lead.