PDA

View Full Version : We Should Get Togeather and Make Some Stickies

windrider919
02-16-2009, 05:43 PM
Time after time here in PP land the same questions get asked by 'newbies'. Don't get me wrong, I was once too a 'nub' and if good people had not taken the time to answer me I would not have discovered the joys and frustrations of PPing.

That said, we are acumulating a knowledge base by experimenting / shooting that is not being recorded in any way but old threads that will probably never be looked up. We have one stickie on paper in our PP section but there are several areas that should also have stickies.

So, what do you think?

A basic stickie on PP for the nubie.

One on the different PP methods for BP vs Smokeless

One on chamber and throat n leed size

Lube vs no lube

How to on patch angle and rolling

Tails vs fold

And others that have been asked (and answered) many times. I enjoy passing my knowledge on but it gets old the 10th or 16th time or the 45th time.
And perhaps sometimes we should refer the newbies and ourselves too to the mani Stickies section. To be honest, I should have read the threads in there a long time ago but after browsing the FAQ when I joined I never bothered. It is true that there is almost nothing there for PPing. And that is why we should be recording our hard won experience so that it not be lost. I have learned both by experimenting but also by the community of shooters here. We stand on the shoulders of giants like Paul Mathews and even current men such as Dan Theodore but if they had not recorded their findings we would not know as much as we do now. And so those who follow us need to know what we tried and what worked and what did not work.

Anyone out there agree? Disagree?

waksupi
02-17-2009, 01:35 AM
If you have a thread you feel is worthy of being a sticky, notify a staff member.

docone31
02-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Personally, I would like to see at least two stickys. There are two schools of wrapping here.
The "classic", and the way I do it. Both ways seem to work well to say the least.
For the interested, or newcomer, it would be good for them to have the stickys go from step to step.
I think, with things as they are, boing back to basics will be a large step forward.

windrider919
03-01-2009, 12:52 AM
After 13 days only two people responded to my thread yet there were several requests for basic info by newbies during this time. One was to direct me on how to make a sticky. That is not what I wanted. I thought we could start a new thread that we could each contribute to with fresh knowledge and insights that would be done with the express purpose of filling that thread with specific knowledge. This is the sort of thing that the Internet was created for! Gathering info from a variety of sources into an easily accessible form. I can't do it myself because I do not have the spare time. Is there someone who is retired and wants to go farther than just referring the newbies to an old book? Like I pointed out, there are the same members here who answer the same question time after time. We need the sticky to be something like the Wikipedia, members save their knowledge and hard earned skills for the future instead of being lost among hundreds and thousands of inconsequential old stored threads. I will contribute as I can but just look at my logons, two weeks between. I barely have time to shoot but once a month these days, let alone spend time on the computer. This is about the only site I go to now, no time for my loves of diving, backpacking, sailing or home / small machine shop. In fact, I have not turned on my mill for 3 weeks now, that is a sad record because it used to be I was in the shop at least three evenings a week, shooting at least every weekend, sailing one day a month.

Anyway, as it stands, each week someone will have to respond to how to roll a patch or explain basically what PP is and why it might be worthwhile for a newbe to try, etc. I have gained much insight and saved myself a lot of experimental time because of what I learned here. I am a better shooter because of our group. I just want that in an easier form than the digging I had to do that to be honest, most would NOT do. It should be obvious and is to most that we want more people to try PP. A 'Tech Manual' of stickies is the way to entice newbies to go ahead and roll some paper.

So?..........................

rhead
03-01-2009, 08:46 AM
Will it be called paper 102, or paper 201? The problem is not the lack of stickies but that they decline to read the stickies that are already here. (They seemely think that their question is unique to them) Paper 101 is getting pretty bukly but I couldn't think of anything to add to it on a one pass of reading. The link to Brent's sight should handle most of the nonbasic questions.

montana_charlie
03-01-2009, 02:56 PM
I think the 'sticky' feature is misused.
When somebody posts a very informative breakdown of a particular subject, I think it should be recommended for sticky-dom. If accepted, it should be closed to modification...by all but the original author. If he wants to change something for clarity, or add information for better understanding, that makes sense.

But, closing it to the rest of us keeps a good sticky from becoming 'bulky'...and rambling on about anything and everything that remotely resembles the original topic.

That Paper 101 thread went off into suitable papers for target stock, degreasing moulds, choice of bullet alloy, and making a PP bullet mould. It didn't (quite) ramble off into teflon, aluminum foil, or heat-shrink tubing as substitutes for paper patches...but it did get 'bulky'.

There can be an associated discussion thread for any sticky. You could have a thread called "Paper 101 - Continued" (which does not get 'stuck') and has all the rest of the 'bulk'.
I think stickies should just be quickies...not a 3-page discussion that a newcomer will get bored reading while looking for specific information.

CM

Lead pot
03-01-2009, 03:33 PM
A sticky should have a Moderator that has enough knowledge to filter out some of the BS that some post here that never rolled or shot a PP bullet.
Questions like this should be asked or answered.
When is it best to patch to groove
When is it best to patch to bore
What is best, a flat base, dish base, cup base, hollow base
What is the effect using those bases
What alloy works best with this type of ogive
What will give your base the best protection
How do you select the right paper thickness
How do you determine the thickness of the paper
What is the right diameter of a unpatched bullet
And so on.

rhead
03-01-2009, 04:51 PM
I agree with both statements. They do get bulky and need to be edited. So often the questions are efforts to save some work that only the person with that rifle can answer, or efforts to continue discussion to put off actually taking action. The first effort probably will not be perfect. The first 20 may not be.
Getting my hornet to shoot paper patched bullets at full velocity with better than factory ammo accuracy was the most frustrating project I ever tried. Also the most fun. Somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds before I got acceptable results.

windrider919
03-07-2009, 08:26 PM
A sticky should have a Moderator that has enough knowledge to filter out some of the BS that some post here that never rolled or shot a PP bullet.
Questions like this should be asked or answered.
When is it best to patch to groove
When is it best to patch to bore
What is best, a flat base, dish base, cup base, hollow base
What is the effect using those bases
What alloy works best with this type of ogive
What will give your base the best protection
How do you select the right paper thickness
How do you determine the thickness of the paper
What is the right diameter of a unpatched bullet
And so on.

YES, those are the type of questions that should have a sticky each. I know I still have a lot to learn but I also recognize that a group effort is better. For example, I have read ducone31's threads with great interest because although I have been doing this longer he has had to work out problems I have never faced. I learned from all of your threads and think I still might have more to learn. Some subjects we have just touched on and might revisit to expand on. I also agree we need a moderator for those stickies to prevent 'drift'.

Anyone volunteer?