PDA

View Full Version : speed of shooting and accuracy

delftshooter
12-29-2023, 12:26 AM
Is it normal for the brain to start forgetting bad shooting behavior as it starts shooting fast?

Ive always found that when i start shooting fast enough in single action or double action, adn my brain forgets what round im on and the only thing i can actually comprehend is pulling the hammer and trigger back the same way and sight alignment i can really cut my group size.

Is this just a mental thing thats normal, or just a sign that the OCD is happy and zenned out?

dverna
12-29-2023, 01:32 AM
No. Look at the size difference between slow fire and timed/rapid fire NRA Bullseye targets. The 50 yard SF target is used at 25 yards for timed and rapid fire.

No kind way to put this….but if you get better groups when shooting quickly you are not doing the fundamentals properly.

Using a two handed hold you should expect slow fire 10 shot groups of about 1.5” at 10 yards.

The most common fault I see is either trying to “catch the bullseye” or flinching. A good coach can help you sort things out.

charlie b
12-30-2023, 10:21 AM
It is a sign that your slow shooting could become much better. The mental game in shooting is alive and well. Like Don said, your slow fire technique just needs some work. The bonus is, once that technique gets better your 'fast' game should improve as well. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

243winxb
12-31-2023, 09:51 AM
The trigger is manipulated differently in timed & rapid fire. Slow steady, non-stopping. Firing 5 shots in 10 seconds requires constant pulling of the trigger. (As soon as the shot breaks, trigger squeeze is instantly restarted.)

In slow fire, starting & stopping the trigger pull, trying to time the perfect shot, hurts accuracy for most. But may work for. highly skilled experts.

All while focusing on rhe front* sight.