PDA

View Full Version : WTB Carcano Sporter Stock

fjrdoc
12-28-2023, 06:50 PM
Hello
I was recently given a M41 Carcano with a badly mutilated stock. I'm thinking about turning this rifle into a stalking rifle similar to my 1893 George Gibbs Steyr. Thought I would post to see if anybody has sporter stock available for sale. Might be a needle in a haystack nothing ventured nothing gained.

elmacgyver0
12-28-2023, 07:09 PM
You may try making your own stock, I have made a couple and they have turned out pretty good, if I say so myself.
Yes, it is a lot of work and mine are not perfect, but it does give you a lot of satisfaction and pride that only creating something with your own hands can give.
My latest stock was for my Henry H010X, I was going to buy the walnut replacement stocks that Henry offers for that model to replace the plastic ones that come with it.
I bought the rifle for the threaded barrel, not the stocks.
Anyway, long story short, my wife said, why don't you make your own?
Yeah, right, I will just run down to my shop (basement) and turn out a set of stocks in 15 minutes.
Well, the project took me all of four solid days.
One thing I do have to say, those stocks may not be perfect, but they do give more satisfaction than any factory-made stocks, no matter how fancy they may be.
Just another option to think about, can you, do it? yes you can, I did, and I'm not that talented.

fjrdoc
12-28-2023, 07:47 PM
I have given consideration to making my own stock. In the end, I may end up doing that. Looks like these Carcanos are red-headed stepchildren of the Milsurps. I found an Australian company that makes a sporter stock but I'm sure that the cost of shipping would not be worth it.

schutzen-jager
12-29-2023, 08:52 AM
could you post a picture of your mutilated stock + is it complete with hand guards + metal ? - i have one with a sporter stock that i would like to restore -

fjrdoc
12-29-2023, 02:07 PM
Sorry schutzen, my Carcano has no handguard or metal. The stock has been aggressively ground down in the wrist and around the lower metal.

schutzen-jager
12-29-2023, 02:19 PM
Sorry schutzen, my Carcano has no handguard or metal. The stock has been aggressively ground down in the wrist and around the lower metal.

thanks for the reply -

Uncle Grinch
12-29-2023, 08:57 PM
This link shows how Roger (Yumastepside) from Australia builds custom Carcano Sporter stocks.

https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3281019521/m/6611067672

fjrdoc
12-30-2023, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the link Uncle Grinch