PDA

View Full Version : Redhawks

castmiester
12-27-2023, 05:56 PM
I recently found a Redhawk 7.5 inch barrel 44 mag, blued in excellent shape $535 with body holster. Even though I'm bifocal, is there better than factory sights I can add on to shoot better ?

I don't think this pistol will move any time soon, but if it does it does..... I have 180 days on the permit.

cwtebay
12-27-2023, 06:00 PM
I put a red dot on my father's SBH a while ago, he loves it with his bifocals.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

castmiester
12-27-2023, 06:10 PM
I put a red dot on my father's SBH a while ago, he loves it with his bifocals.

watching a you tube vid, easy easy !! Guy put on a Delta, any good ? What brand do you recommend ?

cwtebay
12-27-2023, 06:32 PM
watching a you tube vid, easy easy !! Guy put on a Delta, any good ? What brand do you recommend ?It is a Holosun. I don't recall the model.

castmiester
12-27-2023, 06:40 PM
It is a Holosun. I don't recall the model.

Handloaded accuracy ? Factory ammo..... wondering about cylinder, barrel/frame set up. GUess it's a typical Ruger set up and needs work.

cwtebay
12-27-2023, 06:47 PM
Handloaded accuracy ? Factory ammo..... wondering about cylinder, barrel/frame set up. GUess it's a typical Ruger set up and needs work.Apologies - put the Holosun on his Henry. The red dot is a Vortex. His is a stock 357 with a 6" barrel. I've cast and loaded for it for a number of years now. I had to buy a mounting kit for it, but other than me fiddling with it getting it sighted in - and notching his holster - it's been problem free.

castmiester
12-27-2023, 07:26 PM
Apologies - put the Holosun on his Henry. The red dot is a Vortex. His is a stock 357 with a 6" barrel. I've cast and loaded for it for a number of years now. I had to buy a mounting kit for it, but other than me fiddling with it getting it sighted in - and notching his holster - it's been problem free.

Bit pricy

cwtebay
12-27-2023, 07:32 PM
Bit pricyIt was around $400 for the mount and sight. I only have one Dad though!

castmiester
12-27-2023, 08:06 PM
found them cheaper and Vortex is awesome VIP guarantee !

contender1
12-27-2023, 11:49 PM
Earlier Redhawks do have interchangeable front sights, in different colors. Then they also had a "V-notch rear blade,, and a gold bead front" that many enjoy.

Then,, there is the Ronnie Wells/Fermin Garza rear sight insert. They DO make a difference. (RW Gripframes, out of Texas.)

But a red dot is also a good option. Shooters choice.

But as for "guess it's a typical Ruger & needs some work" statement. The blued Redhawks will be one of the older ones. So far,, all the older ones I've shot did not have ANY issues that needed work.

castmiester
12-28-2023, 12:45 AM
Earlier Redhawks do have interchangeable front sights, in different colors. Then they also had a "V-notch rear blade,, and a gold bead front" that many enjoy.

Then,, there is the Ronnie Wells/Fermin Garza rear sight insert. They DO make a difference. (RW Gripframes, out of Texas.)

But a red dot is also a good option. Shooters choice.

But as for "guess it's a typical Ruger & needs some work" statement. The blued Redhawks will be one of the older ones. So far,, all the older ones I've shot did not have ANY issues that needed work.

I was just getting ready to start another thread, about throat, groove bullet fit, and barrel thread/frame tension…. So older models don’t have any of those issues? Accuracy of the older ones are a lot better than newer ones?

Do you go along with this ?

The barrels of some Redhawk revolvers had separated at the junction between barrel and frame. The cause of the barrel separation was not known at the time, nor why it had not occurred before, since the Redhawk had been on the market since 1980. Ruger initially addressed the issue by introducing a new receiver design, lengthening the frame 2.5 inches past the cylinder face to the end of the ejector rod. The new design greatly increased barrel support.

Should l be concerned about the one l’m inquiring about? Guess l could ask for the serial number and run it by Ruger.

Sasquatch-1
12-28-2023, 07:11 AM
I have a duplicate of what you are looking at. I put a reflex red dot. You will need to get the mount for the Red Hawk.

Thumbcocker
12-28-2023, 10:32 AM
I have handled, shot and loaded for 2 different older Redhawks. Both were quite accurate with good loads.

brokeasajoke
12-28-2023, 11:22 AM
I have this one on my Taurus 44

This one is for Ruger I think.
https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Redhawk-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

Bigslug
12-28-2023, 11:34 AM
I want to say my 5.5" stainless was a child of the 1990's. I fire-lapped some frame crush out of it shooting the lapping rounds through a couple chamber throats that were a little tighter than the others. Same story on my 1993 SBH.

Sights are going to be a preference issue based on your own optical defects. Red dots deal with a lot of those. My preference for irons has become to black everything out entirely - the gold beads, tritium dots, and fluorescent outlines just blow out in halos and I can't clearly tell where the top edge of the sight is. . . unless I roll up on my bifocals/progressives which ain't exactly "tactical".

contender1
12-28-2023, 11:39 AM
Ok, you've asked for my personal opinion.
My first Redhawk,, was a .44 and scary accurate. I still have targets in my files where I shot 6 rounds,, at 50 yds, from a rest, with a scope. the entire hole was one hole, and measured less than an inch outside to outside. More than once,, so it wasn't a fluke. IMR 4227 powder & Hornady 240 JHP's.
Yes,, I do believe the older ones are accurate & do quite well.

Barrel separation with the Redhawks.

I'm the very first person this happened to. I was told this by Ruger,, and they were very puzzled as to WHY it happened. Over time,, there have been a FEW more have this happen. LOTS of time, money, engineers scratching their heads, etc over the cause. They THOUGHT it was a weak point where the frame & barrel met. So, the first thing was they built the Super Redhawk thinking it would fix the problem.
It took over 4 years,, but they finally discovered it wasn't the design, or a weak point. It was due to how a few had been assembled. Apparently, during assy,, one or maybe two of the assemblers would take a rack of barrels,, and apply the necessary lube to all of the rack at one time. Then begin the assy. At that time,, Ruger also did a twice a year shutdown of the plants for maintenance & such. Once in July & once at the end of the year. This two week shutdown was linked to the production schedule of some Redhawks. Apparently,, the lube used,, when allowed to sit exposed to the air for 2 weeks,, changed properties enough to cause a "stress torque" when the barrels were screwed to the frames. Some failed,, and some haven't. But once they discovered that,, and changed lubes, as well as not leaving any out for extended periods,, problem solved.

The serial number won't tell you if it was one of the ones like this. But it was actually very few.

And if you wish,, give me the serial number in a PM,, and I can give you the year it was made. Even the Ruger factory web look up can be mistaken. I use a different guide,, known as the more accurate "Red Eagle News Exchange Reference Guide."

Larry Gibson
12-28-2023, 01:34 PM
I recently found a Redhawk 7.5 inch barrel 44 mag, blued in excellent shape $535 with body holster. Even though I'm bifocal, is there better than factory sights I can add on to shoot better ?

I don't think this pistol will move any time soon, but if it does it does..... I have 180 days on the permit.

If you don't mind having two holes D&T'd in the top strap for a Weaver base this is how I mounted a Burris fast fire on my Ruger Bisley. Same can be done on your Redhawk.

castmiester
12-28-2023, 02:28 PM
Ok, you've asked for my personal opinion.
My first Redhawk,, was a .44 and scary accurate. I still have targets in my files where I shot 6 rounds,, at 50 yds, from a rest, with a scope. the entire hole was one hole, and measured less than an inch outside to outside. More than once,, so it wasn't a fluke. IMR 4227 powder & Hornady 240 JHP's.
Yes,, I do believe the older ones are accurate & do quite well.

Barrel separation with the Redhawks.

I'm the very first person this happened to. I was told this by Ruger,, and they were very puzzled as to WHY it happened. Over time,, there have been a FEW more have this happen. LOTS of time, money, engineers scratching their heads, etc over the cause. They THOUGHT it was a weak point where the frame & barrel met. So, the first thing was they built the Super Redhawk thinking it would fix the problem.
It took over 4 years,, but they finally discovered it wasn't the design, or a weak point. It was due to how a few had been assembled. Apparently, during assy,, one or maybe two of the assemblers would take a rack of barrels,, and apply the necessary lube to all of the rack at one time. Then begin the assy. At that time,, Ruger also did a twice a year shutdown of the plants for maintenance & such. Once in July & once at the end of the year. This two week shutdown was linked to the production schedule of some Redhawks. Apparently,, the lube used,, when allowed to sit exposed to the air for 2 weeks,, changed properties enough to cause a "stress torque" when the barrels were screwed to the frames. Some failed,, and some haven't. But once they discovered that,, and changed lubes, as well as not leaving any out for extended periods,, problem solved.

The serial number won't tell you if it was one of the ones like this. But it was actually very few.

And if you wish,, give me the serial number in a PM,, and I can give you the year it was made. Even the Ruger factory web look up can be mistaken. I use a different guide,, known as the more accurate "Red Eagle News Exchange Reference Guide."

I remember years ago of a barrel flying off the frame and the guy got a new pistol and a complimentary pistol too. How long ago did they rectify the issue with the lube? At least I can see from your data of serial numbers if it's safe to buy this pistol. The shop who has it said it just came in recently. How long did it take for barrels to separate ? Right away, days, months, years ?

Serial number........ 501-73410. 1987 per Ruger. The 500 series had issues. But what say you ?

castmiester
12-28-2023, 02:58 PM
I have this one on my Taurus 44

This one is for Ruger I think.
https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Redhawk-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

Any work done to the cylinder, fire lapping, etc...?

20:1
12-28-2023, 03:08 PM
Scope mounts first, I recommend Wiegand "Wiegatinny" no gunsmithing mounts and mount to the original front & rear sight mounting locations. You don't have to drill any holes, and you can revert back to factory sights whenever/if ever you choose to: https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Redhawk-Scope-Mounts-No-Drill.html

Here's a shorter version that only mounts in place of the rear sight: https://www.jackweigand.com/Ruger-Revolver-Mini-Mount.html

For an illuminated red dot you might consider an Ultra-Dot, which has been very popular with those who do a lot of handgun hunting. I hear they hold up to the hard kickers really well.

If the RH you're looking at has been in even light to moderate use since 1986, when it was made (not 1973) the barrel most likely would have already been replaced had it been defective. I've only had direct information of perhaps three of the defective guns, but the power of the internet multiplies that sort of information to an infinite level. One person posts one incident, perhaps ten people repeat it elsewhere, that another 10 people repeat it elsewhere, and suddenly it's all over the internet that a thousand people have had this happen. And all this comes from a single report that just keeps getting repeated and remultiplied. I have a very early three-digit S/N Redhawk, and it still has it's original barrel, plus I've owned over a half dozen of them in all calibers over the millenia and I've never had an issue. YMMV. As Contender said, it was only a very few, and it was quite awhile ago. Remember how long ago the SRH was introduced. I also have only heard about this affecting stainless Redhawks, but I haven't heard all of the stories.

Kosh75287
12-28-2023, 03:14 PM
I haven't yet scoped my 7.5" .45 Colt Redhawk, but it's probably time. It already makes me a better shooter than I really am.

murf205
12-28-2023, 03:50 PM
I bought one of the first Redhawks in 1981 and poured a ton of rounds through it.. Most, if not all of them back then were Hornady and Speer 240 gr with 22 grs of 2400 and a CCI mag primer. Back then, I couldn't spell "reduced loads". If it was a magnum, by George, I fed it magnum loads...no arthritis then!! I bought a sleeve of 1k primers and I remember throwing the last box away so that gun had quite a break in period. It was scary accurate (with my 31 yr old eyes!) and there were a lot of deer in Alabama and Mississippi wished I'd never bought it. I never heard of the barrel problem until recently but if it did, it did. The $535 price tag is very reasonable especially with the holster. I can't see you loosing any money on that gun. Blued ones came along later as the 1st ones were stainless IIRC. When I came to my senses and started loading 429421's to about 1100 fps, I realized just how accurate the dang thing was. I wish I still had it.

brokeasajoke
12-28-2023, 08:36 PM
Any work done to the cylinder, fire lapping, etc...?

No, I've not done anything but shoot some coated SNS 240gr through it

contender1
12-28-2023, 11:38 PM
I remember years ago of a barrel flying off the frame and the guy got a new pistol and a complimentary pistol too. How long ago did they rectify the issue with the lube? At least I can see from your data of serial numbers if it's safe to buy this pistol. The shop who has it said it just came in recently. How long did it take for barrels to separate ? Right away, days, months, years ?

Serial number........ 501-73410. 1987 per Ruger. The 500 series had issues. But what say you ?

I'd have to dig into my older records,, but I do have them. It might take a day or two. I have a few busy days ahead. But I'll check the date of Mfg on my gun.
A bit more to my story.
I shoot a lot more than many people. But the day I bought my Redhawk,, a good friend of mine also bought one,, AND he bought a .357 Redhawk the same day. yes,, 3 new Redhawks at one time. Well, I spent a fair amount of time finding the best load for my gun, shooting almost all the loads in the Hornady manual of that era for the 240 grn bullet. The load it liked the best was NOT a heavy one. Under 4227,, they had (if my memory is correct,,) 4 different powder loads. Starting at the beginning load,, the very next one up was THE load. I had 2 more heavier loads ahead of that one.
As for how much I shot it,, it was shot a fair amount. But again,, not a super hot load either. I'm guessing about 2000-2500 rounds or so prior to the barrel leaving the frame.

The serial number of 501-73410 dates to 1985. And as I've mentioned,, to my knowledge all the "bad" ones were stainless. Never heard of a blued one having the barrel separate from the frame. And as noted,, only very few had it happen.

When I sent it back to Ruger,, all I asked for was a replacement and an explanation as to why it happened. I provided Ruger with the details of my load & how much I'd shot it. It took about 4 years for them to uncover the reason.

And here's another thought. The other (2) Redhawks we bought that day. I now own the .357,, and I have tested my friends .44 to see if it was just as accurate as the one that broke. He still owns it,, and we've had ZERO issues with it. I even tried some pretty stout loads in his .44. Solid as a rock.

castmiester
12-29-2023, 12:09 AM
Thanks man, l appreciate it.

murf205
12-29-2023, 09:31 PM
castmeister, let us know if you buy that RedHawk and give a range report. Good luck.

castmiester
12-29-2023, 09:38 PM
castmeister, let us know if you buy that RedHawk and give a range report. Good luck.

That's IF I get this lousy NJ permit. Had trouble over the years and just applied after 9 years. The detective told me to wait 5, we'll see. I wasn't very patient waiting months. BS ! They improved the system and made it more efficient.

cwtebay
12-29-2023, 11:40 PM
That's IF I get this lousy NJ permit. Had trouble over the years and just applied after 9 years. The detective told me to wait 5, we'll see. I wasn't very patient waiting months. BS ! They improved the system and made it more efficient.What is the permitting process on (what my wife says) "the Jersey side"?

castmiester
12-30-2023, 12:40 AM
If you don’t live here why do want to know?

cwtebay
12-30-2023, 01:13 AM
If you don’t live here why do want to know?I'm merely curious, I have cousins in Morris county that have given me quite convoluted takes on the process.

castmiester
12-30-2023, 01:20 AM
Apply through NJSP and your local pd takes over. Depending where you live and how busy the department is dictates how long it takes or if the chief is gun friendly or not. Best l can tell you.

contender1
12-30-2023, 09:48 AM
That sux.
What happened to a "free" America? Oops,, don't answer that,, it'll derail this thread,, and get very long winded. I actually do know what has happened.
I can just agree that some states have stupid laws that create a lot of issues for us to exercise our rights. Let's not get into that here.

castmiester
12-31-2023, 12:42 AM
That sux.
What happened to a "free" America? Oops,, don't answer that,, it'll derail this thread,, and get very long winded. I actually do know what has happened.
I can just agree that some states have stupid laws that create a lot of issues for us to exercise our rights. Let's not get into that here.

NJ was never part of this country.

cwtebay
12-31-2023, 12:54 AM
Apply through NJSP and your local pd takes over. Depending where you live and how busy the department is dictates how long it takes or if the chief is gun friendly or not. Best l can tell you.Guess my relatives weren't too far off then. Appreciate your information.

03A3KRH
12-31-2023, 10:46 AM
Long time reader..first time posting…. This thread caught my eye. My oldest Redhawk serial number doesn’t even come up in Ruger’s database. I bought it new in box from a gun shop
in 1979 or 1980. I still have the receipt somewhere.

Never have had a problem with it and lots of hot loads down range….

contender1
12-31-2023, 11:01 AM
03A3KRH,, WELCOME to the Forum.

Collectors like myself use a much better resource than the Ruger factory website. (The factory is still trying to SLOWLY get stuff entered into the database,, & sadly,, sometimes,, the people entering the info get stuff wrong.)

We collectors use the "Red Eagle News Exchange Reference Guide." It is a longtime publication by collectors,, where a LOT of research & info gathering has been done for decades. And collectors are constantly adding to this Guide as best we can.

But the Redhawks didn't come out until 1980,, and started with serial number 500-00001. In 1980,, they ended with 500-03610. 1982 was 500-03611 to 500-19387.

12-31-2023, 04:22 PM
03A3KRH,, WELCOME to the Forum.

Collectors like myself use a much better resource than the Ruger factory website. (The factory is still trying to SLOWLY get stuff entered into the database,, & sadly,, sometimes,, the people entering the info get stuff wrong.)

We collectors use the "Red Eagle News Exchange Reference Guide." It is a longtime publication by collectors,, where a LOT of research & info gathering has been done for decades. And collectors are constantly adding to this Guide as best we can.

But the Redhawks didn't come out until 1980,, and started with serial number 500-00001. In 1980,, they ended with 500-03610. 1982 was 500-03611 to 500-19387.

And pics would be especially appreciated. My Redhawk S/N is under 500-00250. 03A3KRH probably should get a factory letter from Ruger for his to see when it was shipped.

contender1
01-01-2024, 01:07 AM
If your Redhawk is under #500-00250,, you need a letter too. It should have been a "Subscriber" gun back then.

01-01-2024, 01:36 AM
If your Redhawk is under #500-00250,, you need a letter too. It should have been a "Subscriber" gun back then.

We discussed this on the Ruger Forum a few months ago contender. It is already lettered, and honestly, I'm ready to go ahead and cut the barrel to four inches for utility and put it to work. It's worthless to me as a safe queen.

01-01-2024, 01:53 AM
Back before electricity & indoor plumbing, there was a couple who made & sold, "the one ragged hole" rear peep sight. it was a simple thing. just a flat piece of metal that replaced the rear sight insert. you'ld take out the original sight blade and replace it with the new one, which had a hole acting like a peep sight. it was fully adjustable per the original set up. worked great. I still have mine installed.

M-Tecs
01-01-2024, 02:02 AM
Back before electricity & indoor plumbing, there was a couple who made & sold, "the one ragged hole" rear peep sight. it was a simple thing. just a flat piece of metal that replaced the rear sight insert. you'ld take out the original sight blade and replace it with the new one, which had a hole acting like a peep sight. it was fully adjustable per the original set up. worked great. I still have mine installed.

https://www.rugerforum.net/threads/one-ragged-hole-sight.402350/

Minerat
01-01-2024, 02:19 AM
Still in production.

https://www.warrencustomoutdoor.com/one-hole-sight-ruger.html#top-of-page

buckwheatpaul
01-01-2024, 08:46 AM

I am a bifocal wearer and have fought red dots for years for one reason or another....mine are on smaller pistols used for self-protection (with one exception). I have 35 years of L.E. experience and felt that at the distance we would be justified to use deadly force I felt that there was no need for a red dot and couple that with my excuse that it is something to fail when spam hits the fan I just was not willing to gamble with my life....now, I have to admit that I was wrong. I am converting and with bifocals find it easier to use and I have a red dot on my S&W 22 Magnum and can hit the 8" gong at 100 yards. I use Holosum, Burris FastFire 3, and Sig Romeo red dots and they are great....around $200 each on sale and guaranteed for life and I feel that my life is worth that price. For me the hardest part is acquiring the red dot....have a great hunt for what ya want brother!

hc18flyer
01-01-2024, 11:11 AM
I have a large frame Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I tried the Wiegand 'no drill mount' for my Burris FF red dot, thought it raised the rd too high. Ended up following Larry's advice (post #17) using a piece of Weaver base. Doesn't interfere with the original irons, and I am very happy with it. The large frame BH is capable of Tier 3 loads, which are more than I will ever need or want. The Blackhawk is a more economical option too. hc18flyer

MDKelley
04-20-2024, 10:35 AM
in the same boat with bad eyes/bifocals. Hi vis sights won't work for me. I can either focus on the sights or the target, at least that is how my glasses seem to function. Red dot all the way for a range gun. Scope is good if you are shooting off a rest or hunting more than 50 yards (just my opinion). I have a 6moa RMR w/suppressor sights on my carry glock and a 1moa RMR on a ruger mkII 512 squirrel gun, both trijicon. Really like them. Thinking about putting one on a gp100 357 that I recently took the 2x scope off. I put the weigand rail on my redhawk 44. Don't like it as much as an old B-square scope rail I put on my gp100 but pretty sure those rails are no longer made. B-square was lower profile and looked cleaner but that may just be due to slight frame differences between gp100 and redhawk.

A couple friends have burris and aimpoint, both are nice red dots. Those have a smaller top frame than the trijicon which I actually really like when I compared the different units. I think it makes the viewable area slightly larger than the RMR units I have with thick frames.

MDKelley
04-20-2024, 10:39 AM
I have a large frame Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I tried the Wiegand 'no drill mount' for my Burris FF red dot, thought it raised the rd too high. Ended up following Larry's advice (post #17) using a piece of Weaver base. Doesn't interfere with the original irons, and I am very happy with it. The large frame BH is capable of Tier 3 loads, which are more than I will ever need or want. The Blackhawk is a more economical option too. hc18flyer

Agree, the wiegand redhawk mount is higher than I would prefer, but since I am using a scope on that gun I can just use lower rings. With many of the red dots the mount is a fixed height so it is what it is.