PDA

View Full Version : A Newbie

Pystis
01-24-2006, 06:06 PM
Hi everyone!
I have to thank all of you for this great forum.
IĀ“m a newbie on cast boolits from Southern Finland. Everything started when my Dad
bought a supressor for his Sako rebarreled Mosin. I just had to get one too. They dont need any licences or paperwork here. My mosin that got supressed has 20" Lahti-Saloranta LMG barrel.
However I started to get intrested in subsonic loads. First I tried with jacketed bullets but that just didnt work out. So I started to gather info on cast bullets. Then I found this forum. I didnĀ“t now what I was doing. It just sucked me in. Resistance was useless.
I knew that Lee stuff isnĀ“t made according to highest standards, still I bought C312-185-1R mold as I wasnĀ“t sure if I wanted to continue. When I got the mold I knew what you meant. So I did all that Lee-ment and other stuff to get it work properly.
Now IĀ“ve cast some 200 boolits that still have too small nose. I just love casting those jewels. Molds casts .313" on driving bands and the .295" on nose with WW. The bore is .312" on the grooves and .297" on lands.
I lapped the nose a little but I havenĀ“t cast any after that because it has been #### cold down here.
IĀ“ve shot about 20 of the first batch at subsonic velocities an got some decent groups.
I shot them as cast and without CG. Lube I used was FWFL. Best group I shot was 2"@ 80 yds. The weather was very cold I couldnĀ“t help shaking while shooting. IĀ“ve already shot 2 hares with them. I havenĀ“t even tried to find best accuracy, I just wanted to know how theyĀ“ll shoot.

I think I should have posted this on the test forum...Sorry

fourarmed
01-24-2006, 06:16 PM
Welcome to the board. If that nose is still too small for the bore, pick up some aluminum tape. Cut small pieces of it and apply it to one face of the mould between, below, and to either side of the cavities. The tape I bought increased the diameter of my SAECO .270 mould just about 0.001 in. - Exactly what I needed to make it a snug slip-fit to my Merrill .270 Maximum bore.

drinks
01-24-2006, 06:35 PM
Pystis;
Welcome, you apparently realize it is too late for you to escape from the lure of cast bullets, so just have a good time.
Don

trooperdan
01-24-2006, 06:49 PM
Welcome to the asylum!! :) You will find much knowledge and a bit of envy even for you here. You lucky Finns can own silencers and full-auto without as much red tape as us here in the "land of the free".

I had to reply to you because I am a collector of Finnish rifles; I have a few M39's, only 1 M27 and no S.Ky.. but I keep looking!

Sounds like you are already getting pretty good groups... 2" @ 80 yards in sub-zero cold, I bet most of us would accept that! Please post your loads.

As for Lee moulds, many use the 312-155 for the 7,62x39 and the 7,63x53R. I'd be glad to send you some samples but it might upset the Dept of Homeland Security! :)

Anyway, welcome, you are with friends.. sounds like you have been lurking here a while already!

Buckshot
01-25-2006, 01:06 AM
...............Welcome Pystis! If you can find one there, try a Lyman 314299. These will go a solid .301" on the nose and .314" on the drive bands. They also weigh 200+ grains. That extra weight would be a good deal for a sub-sonic load. If you'd like, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you some of them to try.

................Buckshot

Finn45
01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Hot dang! We are all over the place, hehe. Welcome.

When You are ready to buy quality mould for the Mosin and other .30 cals. consider mentioned 314299 very seriously. And sooner or later You'll heal from that "speach is copper" misunderstanding too.

You may want to looky here when You have some time:
http://www.createphpbb.com/pyssymiehet/

Frank46
01-25-2006, 03:52 AM
Well I did look at the site, funny thing was in finnish. Nice pics though. Frank

Frank46
01-25-2006, 03:54 AM
pystis, yep second that for lyman #314299. Has worked great in my M27 finnish reworked
moisen. Welcome to the board, not all of us are really crazy, but sometimes it helps. Frank

Pystis
01-25-2006, 04:57 AM
Trooperdan, we donĀ“t have automatically constitutional right to own a firearm in Finland. We have to apply for license for every firearm we buy. We have to apply for special license for handgun JHP and SP bullets and ammo, which are, according to law "Extremely dangerous ammunition". Blah!

Yup, have to start looking for those molds. The load I shot was 6,2 grains of Vihtavuori N310, which is the quickest-burning pistol powder commonly available. I used sako case with opened flash hole and CCI 200LR. I have to check the OAL. It is lots of fun to shoot them. Click...............SNAP!!
That accuracy really stunned me. I cant imagine how it shoots with slower powder with better filling rate and better boolit with CG. I canĀ“t remember the twist rate of the barrel for sure. I guess it was 9,5".
Finn45 I havenĀ“t heard from that forum before, thanks for the link.