PDA

View Full Version : Cast lead soldiers

mrcvs
12-24-2023, 12:41 PM
I have plenty of lead. While I cast bullets, I thought of casting a few lead soldiers as well. Anyone do this and what mold is recommended?

lightman
12-24-2023, 02:24 PM
I would also be interested in hearing about this.

mrcvs
12-24-2023, 02:31 PM
I would also be interested in hearing about this.

I know, it’s Christmastime, easy enough to just fast up a few while casting bullets. Paint them up and place on the mantle for the holidays. If you run short of lead for bullets, just melt them down and repurpose the lead for cast bullets.

Jungle Dave
12-24-2023, 03:47 PM
I've been wanting to do this, but not sure where to get molds, although I've not really done a search yet, it has just been lingering in the back of my mind.

rancher1913
12-24-2023, 03:53 PM
there are molds available for them, a silicon based mold that gives a lot of detail but you really need to use pewter and not lead. georgeonedollar has a set that he lets people use sometimes.

Jungle Dave
12-24-2023, 04:02 PM
Found these: https://www.dunken.com/

mrcvs
12-24-2023, 06:11 PM
I only want to do lead, the same composition as my bullets.

dondiego
12-24-2023, 07:20 PM
We just had a thread on casting soldiers. It should still be here.

BJung
12-24-2023, 11:42 PM
I have a lead toy soldier mold and have not used it yet. I only cast when it rains, it hasn't rained at the right time for a year, and have not used my mold yet. I've been unsuccessful uploading pictures but go to Prince August online or look on Ebay. You can sometimes find sets at a good price on Ebay. Be sure tin an antinomy is in the alloy to harden the cast. Also, consider cutting vents into the mold so the air will not get trapped and instead vent out. Otherwise you'll have an incomplete cast. Warming your mold on a hot plate will help too.

justindad
12-25-2023, 12:02 PM
Found these: https://www.dunken.com/

They got some high priced mystery metals there. I wonder what alloys they’re using.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-25-2023, 01:17 PM
Someone here had a mold of a bi-plane. I guess you cast the parts, them assemble it. that sure sounds neat.

Green Frog
12-25-2023, 03:43 PM
Historically, lead soldier mounds have been around for a very long time. Ive seen moulds for soldiers from the Civil and Napoleonic Wars, cowboys and Indians, and on up into WW I. My father used to cast them as a child prior to WW II.

Froggie

rintinglen
12-26-2023, 10:10 PM
I had a set of molds for WW I infantry when I was little, but never got to cast anything with them. "You'll set the house on fire." Somewhere in time they disappeared, but I wish I had them now.