PDA

View Full Version : Lyman gas check seater

castmiester
12-23-2023, 04:47 PM
is it really necessary ?

Larry Gibson
12-23-2023, 05:02 PM
is it really necessary ?

Depends on how smooth the sprue is cut off and if the GC bottoms out on the GC shank or not. I use mine more often than not.

Bad Ass Wallace
12-23-2023, 05:34 PM
Absolutely, particularly when seating onto powder coated boolits!

castmiester
12-23-2023, 05:52 PM
I can't see what it actually does.... it squares the check better than the threaded rod seat and just better support for the die plunger ?

Polymath
12-23-2023, 06:37 PM
I made my own, and one for a friend. you need a piece of conduit pipe with an inside diameter bigger that the stopper nut on the press.
Solder a washer on top and drill a 5/16 hole, take a hacksaw and cut a slot all the way to the circle on the washer, and open up the slot on the bottom to fit the stopper bar. took about 1/3 hour. it doesn't require a shoulder to work. All it does is prevnt the inner piston from retracting more that 3/32"

Winger Ed.
12-23-2023, 06:45 PM
I put a flat piece of Steel or a round 'knock out' from a Steel electrical box over the top of the sizer press.
Then bear down on the boolit & gas check with the sizer handle.
It seats the problem children very well for me.

I do all the seating, then stand 'em up on the bench. It's easy to see if one isn't straight & square.
Then size/lube 'em all.

Years ago, I was once tempted to buy the seater thing.
But at the time it was $15.oo, and you couldn't find a picture of one.
That made me think they were something super simple you could make yourself.

Bazoo
12-23-2023, 07:25 PM
I use mine regularly whenever the gas check shank is just a touch large.

I have also give the bullets a rap on the bench top but it’s retiring to do more than a few.

stubshaft
12-23-2023, 07:41 PM
I use mine frequently to insure it is square with the driving bands.

Minerat
12-23-2023, 07:57 PM
Mine is an NOE that helps get the GC square with the boolit base. Extra work when needed but I'll do a hundred then size.