PDA

View Full Version : Oh, the joy of a 4 stall garage and a 1,900 sq. ft. house

Wooserco
12-22-2023, 09:46 PM
Somehow, I have misplaced my wife's 9mm pistol, my S&W Combat Masterpiece and our M60 357M. Where Have I Put Them??? All others are accounted for...

Where did I put them??? Man, I hate getting old!!!

Winger Ed.
12-22-2023, 09:50 PM
Getting old is not for the meek.

About the only benefit I've found for it is that now,,,, I can hide my own Easter eggs.

Texas by God
12-22-2023, 09:53 PM
I found a missing (for two years) 9mm last year amongst the shoe cubbyholes in the master closet……
I feel your pain…..��

Wooserco
12-22-2023, 10:07 PM
Thanks! I'll look in the shoe cubbyholes in the morning. My wife made me promise to wait until daylight to look (apparently too many beers into Friday to try to find the guns). That might be part of the issue???

Wooserco
12-22-2023, 10:09 PM
I found a missing (for two years) 9mm last year amongst the shoe cubbyholes in the master closet……
I feel your pain…..��

Thanks! I'll look in the shoe cubbyholes in the morning. Also the hallway closet. Under the bed is MY 9mm pistol and the PCC9, both with loaded mags, separate from the firearm. My wife made me promise to wait until daylight to look.

Hondolane
12-22-2023, 10:14 PM
Did the same a few years ago and misplaced a RBH. Went in to panic mode and found it under the work bench.

Wooserco
12-22-2023, 10:18 PM
Getting old is not for the meek.

About the only benefit I've found for it is that now,,,, I can hide my own Easter eggs.

Yeah, but it's Christmas. I've already wrapped my own gifts and can't remember what I'm getting Isn't it great???

Wooserco
12-22-2023, 10:45 PM
Did the same a few years ago and misplaced a RBH. Went in to panic mode and found it under the work bench.

I've looked there. I recall them being on the reloading bench, making sure of the "plunk test". I recall stacking each, encased in their respective hard cases, I vaguely recall bringing them from the reloading bench into the house. Where I put them is lost...

Man, I hate not being 20 anymore...

Sasquatch-1
12-23-2023, 06:08 AM
But did you check the obvious places? Like your back pocket for the M-60. Coat pocket for the bigger guns. Bathroom sink. You know, the places that are hard to look :bigsmyl2:

frkelly74
12-23-2023, 08:49 AM
This is reassuring, strangely so. I am not alone. At the moment I am wondering where I left my Mossberg 500, 18" riot gun. It's here someplace. Hope there's no riots till I find it.

dverna
12-23-2023, 10:05 AM
I "lost" a Beretta 92 for almost a year. This was before the massive downsizing I have been doing.

shooting on a shoestring
12-23-2023, 10:07 AM
Dad had a similar experience in his latter years.

He was returning from an afternoon of shooting with his buddy. Had more fun than expected and stayed a bit long. As he was getting near the house his blood sugar was tanking. Knowing that once he trudged into the house he wouldn’t feel like getting out again that evening, so he grabbed his couple of rifle cases in one hand. In the other hand he grabbed his shooting bag and the clam shell pistol case which held his Smith Model 19. Once inside, he deposited his load just inside the front door and headed for his easy chair. Later after some food and feet up, he showered and went to bed.

Following morning was busy. Mom moved his gun pile into the guest bedroom to get them out of sight for company coming. So it was the day after that when Dad got around to cleaning the guns and putting them away properly.

Two rifles cleaned and put away. Check. Shooting bag, spent cases put on the loading bench, unfired returned to ammo shelf. Check. Model 19? Where’s the Model 19? Must be in the house.

No. Not in the guest room. Not at the front door. Not in the pickup. Mom didn’t remember seeing a revolver or revolver case. He definitely remembered bringing it in the house that night. Where could it be? He answered the door when the company came and he was certain the revolver case was not by the front door then, so Mom must have moved it. Right? No she didn’t remember any revolver or revolver case. She put all his stuff in the guest room. ??????

About a year later he called me excited like a kid with a new bicycle. He found it! Turns out Mom had put it on the top shelf of the guest room closet thinking it was a box he used to carry his ammunition in. All the pistol cases she ever saw were the zippered canvas butterfly rug type cases. She didn’t know they made them out of plastic now.

CastingFool
12-23-2023, 10:09 AM
I found my Hipoint 45 in the top shelf in the laundry closet, after missing it for almost 2 years

DougGuy
12-23-2023, 10:37 AM
I've looked there. I recall them being on the reloading bench, making sure of the "plunk test". I recall stacking each, encased in their respective hard cases, I vaguely recall bringing them from the reloading bench into the house. Where I put them is lost...

Man, I hate not being 20 anymore...

I am guilty! Lost the muzzle break to my AR, it's.... Somewhere.. In This... House... Somewhere..

Lost the drive caddy out of my laptop, it's.... Somewhere.. In This... House... Somewhere..

I can't cook from memory anymore, I have saved tried and tested recipes that I have to carefully go line by line and make sure I didn't forget anything.

I made cornbread and I could have sworn I put the baking soda and salt in the cornmeal, and I set the cornmeal aside in the cabinet for a day, ugh.. Had to toss it. I SHOULD have just tasted the cornmeal I would have found and corrected my mistake.

pertnear
12-23-2023, 10:44 AM
Just buy new ones. That's what I do with everything else I can't find. They'll turn up eventually.....

William Yanda
12-23-2023, 10:44 AM
Our librarian mentioned to me a few years ago that the upside of Alsheimer's is that you can read the same book........over and over and over.

Now I am experiencing it.

G W Wade
12-23-2023, 10:52 AM
It's defiantly a scary period of time. Just have to learn to deal with it. I have had a couple of friends call and ask if they had loaned me a particular gun! Funnything, after telling them No,, I told one to check his underwear drawer. Darned if that wasn;t where it was GW

Minerat
12-23-2023, 11:05 AM
You know guys, you always find them in the last place you look;-)

Me, I never lose anything, I just forget where I left it. Or can't remember if I had it.

Hannibal
12-23-2023, 11:17 AM
I was working on building a rifle out of the de Haas book. Mr Singleshots Book of Rifle Plans. I was making the barrel from a 1" gunsmithing blank. Double step profile, octagon profile at the receiver. Had the chamber cut, muzzle crowned. And the receiver was nearly done. Next step was to start on the stock. I'd done everything except the barrel work by hand. Hacksaws, files, other hand tools. I had innumerable hours invested.

Well, life happens and I wound up moving 3 times within 2 years.

Yep, that barrel and receiver still haven't turned up. At this point I'm convinced they got thrown out accidentally somehow.

Wouldn't be so bad except things like that can not be replaced. Only one of it's kind anywhere.

I try to not think about it much. Nothing to be done but start over.

AnthonyB
12-23-2023, 04:54 PM
While all you guys are looking, please let me know if you find an extra Gen 4 Glock 19 or a S&W Shield 9mm with laser. I'll report back on anything extra I find just in case....
Tony

Rusty Goose
12-23-2023, 05:00 PM
Check in the fridge, you wouldn't believe what I have found in mine.

rintinglen
12-23-2023, 05:04 PM
I found my car keys in the fridge once.

Wooserco
12-23-2023, 10:03 PM
Great news! The guns were found, right where I had put them under the bed. When pulling gifts to wrap for the grand kids (guess where the gifts were hidden) there they were, right where I had put them.

I swear that I looked there three different times. Blasted bi focals anyway.

Wooserco
12-23-2023, 10:05 PM
It is scary what can be found in the fridge, especially the one in the garage. That thing should be padlocked to keep some of the things that grow in there out!

Hannibal
12-23-2023, 10:13 PM
Great news! The guns were found, right where I had put them under the bed. When pulling gifts to wrap for the grand kids (guess where the gifts were hidden) there they were, right where I had put them.

I swear that I looked there three different times. Blasted bi focals anyway.

Well I'm happy for you! Happy ending.

I kept thinking I'd find my parts but after 2 years, I've given up.

Wooserco
12-23-2023, 11:43 PM
Well I'm happy for you! Happy ending.

I kept thinking I'd find my parts but after 2 years, I've given up.

Keep the faith, they will eventually turn up.

When we lost everything in 2009 (business, autos, home: literally everything after firesales, etc. Only tangible items left besides clothes on our back, basic cooking utensils and family heirlooms) you have now idea when we got back on our feet and something needed to be done...Oh, I don't have that anymore, or I don't have that tool anymore.

Minerat
12-23-2023, 11:47 PM
Glad you found them.:guntootsmiley::happy dance:

Wooserco
12-24-2023, 12:04 AM
I am too!!! I have been hoping to get to the range this weekend while the temps are reasonable here in north central Michigan to test out a couple of loads. One of which is in a new Christmas/Birthday gift being a Ruger PCC9. That is why the uproar in not finding the guns, I want to test loads in both the pistol and rifle to verify function and begin the journey to perfecting that load in both firearms to not only function but to be somewhat accurate in both.

In over 50 years, I've always tried to have a rifle and handgun that shared caliber, just in case. Preferrably a military caliber, just in case it "hits the fan". In the past, I had the .44 Magnum. While not military, it did serve for hunting and any self defense purposes.

Now, 9 mm NATO fills the role. Rifle and Pistol, same cartridge. Life is good. GOD has blessed.

May God bless you and yours over this blessed time. May he keep you and yours safe, and secure.

beemer
12-24-2023, 12:08 AM
Yeah, but it's Christmas. I've already wrapped my own gifts and can't remember what I'm getting Isn't it great???

Thank you! My wife is getting over a bad case of Flu A. This is the first time she has laughed in a week. We are getting there ourselves. Might as well enjoy the ride.

atfsux
12-24-2023, 01:34 PM
I was in a bad accident about 3 years ago and hospitalized for many months. I asked a good friend of mine to go to my house and secure the guns, which were laying about all over the place. I knew others were going to go there and clean up and organize the house for my benefit. But not knowing how many and whom else might tag along on that mission of mercy, I didn't want anyone tempted to snag something for themselves. But I was heavily drugged for pain purposes when I made the request of my friend, and I soon forgot I ever asked it.

6 months later, I finally returned home from the physical rehab hospital. I had much to do to focus on regaining my physical mobility and independence, so I didn't even think about going out shooting for a few more months. Only then did I start taking stock of my expected inventory,...and was horrified to be unable to account for several items, of which a few were NFA things.

Not remembering I had actually asked my buddy in my drug-addled state to secure these things, I spent weeks agonizing over what could have happened to them and who may have been responsible. It finally dawned on me that rather than being stolen, maybe someone had been charitable and tried to do me a favor by removing them during the time my house was vacant and a juicy burglary target. Fortunately, I did mention to my buddy that these things were missing and I was distressed, whereupon he immediately informed me that it was MY IDEA he take them home with him for safe storage. I was so embarrassed that I had actually asked for this but didn't remember. But hey,...I was on drugs.

DDriller
12-24-2023, 02:38 PM
Amazing how you always find things is the last place you look. Glad you found them.

pworley1
12-24-2023, 04:58 PM
I found a 40 S&W mp shield that I forgot I had when I put the one I had just bought in the safe right next to it.

Wooserco
12-24-2023, 06:01 PM
I found a 40 S&W mp shield that I forgot I had when I put the one I had just bought in the safe right next to it.

Now, you have one for each hand!

Jtarm
01-04-2024, 03:54 PM
Try this one:
You have a tool, but you need a second one (say a size die & you need the top punch.)

Wander the garage/house for two hours, finally finding the top punch, then realize you can’t remember where set the die[emoji849]

Currently missing: 3 Ed Brown 1911 mags.

Hannibal
01-04-2024, 04:16 PM
Try this one:
You have a tool, but you need a second one (say a size die & you need the top punch.)

Wander the garage/house for two hours, finally finding the top punch, then realize you can’t remember where set the die[emoji849]

I don't need 2 hours to accomplish that feat. 10 minutes is plenty of time.

One time in particular I was working on a tractor. Needed a tool from the garage about 75 feet away. By the time I got inside the garage I forgot what tool I needed. So I wandered around looking at tools for about 5 minutes thinking something might remind me. Nope.

Walked back to the shed, took a look at the tractor and instantly remembered. Walked back to the garage and ......forgot again.

So I stoked up the fire in the wood stove, pulled up a chair and opened an adult beverage.

I figured if I had that much crap on my mind I shouldn't be working on anything, anyway. Done for the day.

georgerkahn
01-04-2024, 04:33 PM
Try this one:

Not really firearm related, I got tired of picking up/looking for my air muffs in my Kubota tractor cab. Not wishing to drill into the ROPS I bought a couple of magnets from Harbor Freight; appropriately bent some 1" steel to form a holder; drilled and tapped said steel so I may screw in said magnets; use a Dremel to cut ends off, and by golly those 90 minutes were well spent. Toooo cold out to paint, I said to my self, "Self -- why not wrap orange electric tape about it, and it will look just as pretty?" So -- I set my creation down and went to the box from which I retrieved the electric tape. I then spent almost two hours looking for my creation to no avail! OK -- to not get "twitty", I suggested I stop; look again with fresh eyes next day -- which I did, with still no success. IT IS STILL IN GARAGE! -- but WHERE?????
I swear there must be some Poltergeist or ??? that moved it...
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
geo

Jtarm
01-04-2024, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=georgerkahn;56i tNot really firearm related, I got tired of picking up/looking for my air muffs in my Kubota tractor cab. Not wishing to drill into the ROPS I bought a couple of magnets from Harbor Freight; appropriately bent some 1" steel to form a holder; drilled and tapped said steel so I may screw in said magnets; use a Dremel to cut ends off, and by golly those 90 minutes were well spent. Toooo cold out to paint, I said to my self, "Self -- why not wrap orange electric tape about it, and it will look just as pretty?" So -- I set my creation down and went to the box from which I retrieved the electric tape. I then spent almost two hours looking for my creation to no avail! OK -- to not get "twitty", I suggested I stop; look again with fresh eyes next day -- which I did, with still no success. IT IS STILL IN GARAGE! -- but WHERE?????
I swear there must be some Poltergeist or ??? that moved it...
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!
geo[/QUOTE]

I tell my wife it’s her gnomes moving my stuff around at night.

I’ll prove it to her by setting up a nanny-cam.

Just as soon as I can find the damn thing.

kootne
01-04-2024, 05:20 PM
I remember some years ago, (20? 30? maybe more) asking some used machine tool guy if they ever found anything worthwhile left inside the little door on the side of the column on the older Bridgeport milling machines they traded in. He told me they had found buckets full of wore out tooling, homemade fixtures, etc. over the years. Just pitched it all. One day one the crew just happened to reach in one and also up. Felt something up there, pulled hard and out came a 1911 Colt, full clip plus one in the pipe. It was held up there by one of those super magnets. Managment let the guy keep it. Everybody I've repeated that story to has said, "I'm checkin' mine when I get back to the shop".
Mine did not have one.

Seeker
01-04-2024, 07:12 PM
I've misplaced a few things in my lifetime. Well..... maybe quite a few, but never a gun. I'm 67 now and after reading some of these posts, you all got me kinda scared of getting any older.

MT Gianni
01-05-2024, 02:48 AM
While you're looking I remember having another 22 lr contender bbl and can only find one. If you see it let me know.

Outer Rondacker
01-05-2024, 07:50 AM
Congrats! Now come over to my place and find the misplaced old navy black powder new in the box. I put it in a good safe place so I would not loose it. That was four years ago.

Low Budget Shooter
01-09-2024, 03:21 PM
Often the culprit is a well-meaning person who had the audacity to put something away!