PDA

View Full Version : 1896 swedish mauser

porthos
12-21-2023, 05:15 PM
i have a 1896 swedish mauser (1905) with a diopter rear and globe front sight. was told that they were converted to be used for civilian marksmanship. can anyone confirm this??

pietro
12-21-2023, 05:22 PM

Yes - read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Mauser

porthos
12-21-2023, 08:48 PM
well, couldn't find what i was looking for. i have a CG-63. but the rifle i was inquiring about is a standard military 1905 production that has a diopter rear and globe front sight.

pietro
12-22-2023, 09:46 AM

From that page:

Skolskjutningskarbin, (literally "school shooting carbine"): This carbine was manufactured for Swedish civilian schools for student training.

Kammarkarbin: also known as "gallery carbine". Unique serial numbers prefixed by K

These were not CG-63's

GregLaROCHE
12-22-2023, 11:01 AM
I have two CG 63s. One has a replacement heavy barrel the other has the original barrel. Both have diopter sights and the 63 stocks. I believe that throughout the years many standard rifles were up graded with some features, but not all for competition shooting. Some sniper rifles were produced, but had optical scopes.

porthos
12-22-2023, 01:25 PM
mine isn't a carbine. has full length bbl.

W.R.Buchanan
12-23-2023, 10:30 PM
i have an M96 made in 1899.The barrel is prefect and I got a knock off CG 63 stock made from nice walnut by a guy in Texas about 10 years ago. I have a Lyman 48 Sight for a Husqvarna Rifle but it doesn't remotely fit around the M96 receiver so the project has been on hold. Recently one of my contacts in Sweden put up an Elit Diopter Rear Sight I have been looking for for years. It was affordable for less than $100 delivered here in the US and the guy remembered me from purchasing other Piece Parts for the gun from him a few years back. All I have to do is Drill and Tap the Receiver. I have all the other Parts Peculiar to these guns. I already altered the bolt handle about 10 years ago and installed an after market trigger I got from Brownell's. It is unsafe!!!, so I will spring for a New Timney Trigger for it when the gun is nearly finished.

I will finish this one up in the Spring and it will be a very nice looking gun as the wood is spectacular and I am actually getting the hang of "Custom Gunsmith Quality Wood Finishing?"

Randy