PDA

View Full Version : hunting Revolvers

castmiester
12-19-2023, 08:38 PM
I've been wanting a Ruger super Blackhawk for some time now... and I'm getting the itch. 44 Mag.

It's 500 bucks cheaper than the Redhawk... Any other ones you think are better ?

Thumbcocker
12-19-2023, 08:40 PM
If you can get a hunter model do so. IMHO they are the best hunting SBHs there are. I favor the Bisley configuration, others don't.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

DougGuy
12-19-2023, 08:50 PM
You could give us a LOT more to go on than just price.

Will you be walking/standing/sitting as you hunt? Are you hunting deer? Scope, red dot or iron sights?

When it comes to heavy for caliber boolits, 44m and 45 Colt are pretty much neck and neck with energy, and powders used.

My tree stand revolver is a 7 1/2" SBH with Lee 310gr WFN over 17,0gr LilGun. My woods walker is a 5 1/2" medium frame Vaquero in 45 Schofield brass with 250gr OWC over 21.5gr H110.

The load for the SBH is quite stout, the load I use in the Vaquero is throttled back considerably, both loads reach just shy of 1200fps.

Let us know how you would like to use the revolver.

cwtebay
12-19-2023, 08:58 PM
I absolutely love my SBH's! I have 2 in 44 Mag (one I purchased on this site!). Both are 100% original everything. I carry one more days than not horseback or just in the hills.
Practice, practice, practice! I have watched my step father in law go from basic training handgun in '65 to killing his first elk with one after 25 rounds at the range, I have shot elk off of my horse at a dead run, several deer, a black bear and uncountable critters since I purchased the first a few decades ago. No, not optic friendly but it is the best friend that you can carry or hunt with.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Thumbcocker
12-19-2023, 09:00 PM
I absolutely love my SBH's! I have 2 in 44 Mag (one I purchased on this site!). Both are 100% original everything. I carry one more days than not horseback or just in the hills.
Practice, practice, practice! I have watched my step father in law go from basic training handgun in '65 to killing his first elk with one after 25 rounds at the range, I have shot elk off of my horse at a dead run, several deer, a black bear and uncountable critters since I purchased the first a few decades ago. No, not optic friendly but it is the best friend that you can carry or hunt with.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using TapatalkHow did the horse feel about being a gun platform?

cwtebay
12-19-2023, 09:01 PM
How did the horse feel about being a gun platform?

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkDid I mention practice?

Sandspider500
12-19-2023, 09:03 PM
I've been wanting a Ruger super Blackhawk for some time now... and I'm getting the itch. 44 Mag.

It's 500 bucks cheaper than the Redhawk... Any other ones you think are better ?

Yes, a 45 colt Blackhawk.

Thumbcocker
12-19-2023, 09:09 PM
Did I mention practice?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using TapatalkI have tinnitus in my right ear from shots fired from various .44's at critters. Now I wear electronic earmuffs. Maybe a thread about training a horse to tolerate noise and muzzle blast is in order in the future. I am not a horse person but do remember Skeeter Skelton writing about shooting a mulie off the back of his horse once. The horse was not consulted in advance and protested to the point that Skeeter wound up on the ground among the rocks.

Thumbcocker
12-19-2023, 09:11 PM
Yes, a 45 colt Blackhawk.I have never had a .45 Colt Ruger that would shoot with a .44 Ruger.

Rockindaddy
12-19-2023, 09:24 PM
I have owned em all !!! I love my Anaconda 6" have killed two deer with a 44Mag! Spend a little more. If you know a frendly local dealer you can get an Anaconda for under $1400

castmiester
12-19-2023, 09:33 PM
Like to have one for black bear. There's a huge bruin on the ridge where I hunt.

cwtebay
12-19-2023, 09:38 PM
I have tinnitus in my right ear from shots fired from various .44's at critters. Now I wear electronic earmuffs. Maybe a thread about training a horse to tolerate noise and muzzle blast is in order in the future. I am not a horse person but do remember Skeeter Skelton writing about shooting a mulie off the back of his horse once. The horse was not consulted in advance and protested to the point that Skeeter wound up on the ground among the rocks.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TapatalkWell, beginning with cap guns - 22 Shorts, cowboy action ear plugs for my cayuse and we picked our ponies from the cavvy. It takes a lot of time and work! Would I shoot more than 5 yards from a horse??? HECK NO! But if they're breath feeling distance, listening to the hooves pound the snow - I would put my 2 spikes against any of the big bulls I've killed as far as trophies go!

Wheelguns 1961
12-19-2023, 10:31 PM
I have several hunting handguns from 480 ruger to 22lr. Most are blackhawks. My favorite is my 45 colt with 7 1/2” barrel

murf205
12-19-2023, 10:40 PM
Which SBH you buy is strictly a matter of preference but in my experience, I would not have another one with the square back trigger guard. The danged thing beat my finger to death. I like the Super Redhawk Rugers but the SBH models can be made to have a lot better trigger easier. Both are great hunting guns. If you are going to scope it, the Super Redhawk comes with a pair of rings and they are super strong. Front sights on SRH's are easy to change. 44's and 45's handle boolits up to 300 grs and heavier if you need it and you would probably have to go to a 454 to get much improvement. But...it comes with considerable blast and recoil if you load it to full snort.

Pereira
12-19-2023, 10:53 PM
I have a SBH in 44, and was the first handgun that I used to take deer with.
Mine is scoped, I have also used the BH 41 mag with a 6.5" barrel, and a Ruger Vaquero with the 4 5/8" in 44 mag.
The last one was... a Remington 1858 clone in 44.
Been carrying the BH this season but, as of yet nothing has wandered up close enough.

RP

Flintlockboy
12-19-2023, 11:16 PM
I have one with the 10.5-inch barrel. I bought mine the day after my friend let me shoot his Super Blackhawk. I was amazed at how on my second shot with this hand cannon - using only iron sights I could hit a soda can 500 feet out. I am a target shooter who can appreciate reports of these powerful handguns taking down big game out further than my eyes can see. As a target shooter, I do not need a double-action Redhawk- Target shooters and hunters are not having a shootout with the bad guys - we think before we shoot - no flinching - every shot is thought out. Again, the S Blackhawk is tack sharp accurate, handheld it amazed me how this powerful handgun was as accurate as a lightweight target pistol!

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-19-2023, 11:16 PM
Many years ago, I bought a customized S&W 629 with a 8 3/8" barrel and a Nikon scope. That was when I learned I don't like optics on handguns.
Myself, I wouldn't hunt with a semi-auto...I know you didn't ask that, I just want to put that out there.
I've owned several revolvers. I'd prefer a double action, Probably a Redhawk would be my first choice. I'll like one I could holster...so a 6" barrel would be plenty long for me.
Also, it'll have to be 41 Mag :-P
That's my 2¢

charlie b
12-19-2023, 11:35 PM
I only had one. .45LC. Like Doug I loaded it hot with heavy bullets. Hitting clay pigeons at 100yd was fun. Never hunted with it, but, carried it when I was hunting.

After about a year I noticed my wrist would get sore after shooting. Second year it would stay sore all week. About that time is when Taffin wrote his piece on permanent damage from such shooting and I sold the gun.

Consider getting a Bisely grip if you have large hands. The trigger guard 'raps' the middle finger with heavy loads. Or you can get the 'ugly' pachmayr grips :)

Bigslug
12-20-2023, 12:17 AM
I bought the first SBH I could get my hands on when they first introduced it in 1993.

I've since learned how to run a double-action revolver effectively to where I pretty much don't cock the hammer on one - ever.

My advice would be to spring for the Redhawk: you can still run it SA if that's your preference; you can load or dump all 6 at once; the cylinder has a little more room for longer bullet noses.

The Smith 629 is no slouch either if it fits your hand better.

castmiester
12-20-2023, 02:05 AM
I bought the first SBH I could get my hands on when they first introduced it in 1993.

I've since learned how to run a double-action revolver effectively to where I pretty much don't cock the hammer on one - ever.

My advice would be to spring for the Redhawk: you can still run it SA if that's your preference; you can load or dump all 6 at once; the cylinder has a little more room for longer bullet noses.

The Smith 629 is no slouch either if it fits your hand better.

Good to know!! Different brands have longer bullets than others yes. I heard about the grips on the BH being disappointing. The RH being better. I like houge grips myself.

sixshot
12-20-2023, 03:11 AM
I'm old enough to know I'd have a tough time even seeing a soda can at 500 feet, much less hitting it...... For most of us the bisley grip frame works just fine if we are going to wind it up a bit. For mild loads the Blackhawk frame works, as does the square back grip frame but if you start getting up into the 1100-1200 fps range it can start to get your attention.

Dick

HWooldridge
12-20-2023, 09:19 AM
I have only hunted with open sights but was a pretty decent revolver shot when my eyes were younger, and have killed deer, hogs, one turkey and a lot of small game with pistols (even knocked a few birds out of the sky once in a while).

In order, my besties were: Ruger Old Model Blackhawk, unconverted 3 screw, in 45 Colt, 7-1/2" bbl; model 29 S&W in 44 mag, 6-1/2" bbl; Colt SAA in 44 Special, 4-3/4" bbl; and a Ruger New Model Super Blackhawk 44 mag, 7-1/2" bbl (transfer bar version). I still have the first three and only sold the Super Blackhawk because I never liked the trigger pull. At this point in my life, I would be hard pressed to pick only one, but the Colt SAA is very accurate and lighter than the other two, although the Blackhawk .45 is a close second. The model 29 is large for a belt gun and carries better in a shoulder holster.

I carried a S&W model 57 41 mag with a 4" barrel for many years when hunting deer and it was also quite accurate. I once hit a jack rabbit with it at almost 120 yds but there was a fair bit of luck in that shot (and I was 25 years younger than now). I still have an old model Blackhawk in 41 mag but I'm leaning towards selling it because none of my sons who hunt carry a 41 - they all like 45 Colt.

Thumbcocker
12-20-2023, 09:36 AM
Well, beginning with cap guns - 22 Shorts, cowboy action ear plugs for my cayuse and we picked our ponies from the cavvy. It takes a lot of time and work! Would I shoot more than 5 yards from a horse??? HECK NO! But if they're breath feeling distance, listening to the hooves pound the snow - I would put my 2 spikes against any of the big bulls I've killed as far as trophies go!

I would agree.

DougGuy
12-20-2023, 10:24 AM
Like to have one for black bear. There's a huge bruin on the ridge where I hunt.

Brings up the old adage "Load for bear!" I thought I'd toss this into the thread, anytime you load a revolver with a heavy boolit and a case full of slow-burning magnum powder, it will generate considerable recoil. Here is a post comparing Ruger single action grip frames:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?407586-Single-actions-bust-my-knuckle&p=4972204&viewfull=1#post4972204

black mamba
12-20-2023, 11:09 AM
I think the most gun for the money in a hunting revolver is the BFR. I have one in 454 Casull, but 44 mag would work just as well for all but the largest (and most dangerous) game. Mine has an UltraDot sight on it, which helps a lot in low light.

https://i.imgur.com/4L9Zgmk.jpg

castmiester
12-20-2023, 05:11 PM
Brings up the old adage "Load for bear!" I thought I'd toss this into the thread, anytime you load a revolver with a heavy boolit and a case full of slow-burning magnum powder, it will generate considerable recoil. Here is a post comparing Ruger single action grip frames:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?407586-Single-actions-bust-my-knuckle&p=4972204&viewfull=1#post4972204

I fooled around for a short while with the Model 29 loads. So yeah I get the recoil, but not long enough to let it bother me. Looks like a good choice that Mamba posted, the BFR, grip looks like a winner.

The Bisley is more palm friendly, I take it. Maybe it's a good thing perimits take three months, it gives me time to do my homework.

Just looked at my Taurus 66 with the Hogue grip. It has what the BFR has behind the trigger guard, but it's rubber not Plastic.

contender1
12-20-2023, 08:22 PM
As you can see by the many posts & experiences,, folks have their preferences and their reasons.

I say find the one that fits YOUR hands & that YOU can shoot the best. Look at the options you may desire,, such as a scope, or red dot optics, or even the open sights,, (maybe with the new RW/Fermin rear sight option,)

For the simplest operation, and the platform most seem to migrate to,, is the SA design over the DA design.

Yet,, the dragoon style g/f on the SBH is either hated or loved by shooters. This is where the "fits your hands" is very important.
For most folks,, especially handling heavier recoiling calibers,, the Bisley design seems to really be the best. And if you really want a better fit,, a RW Grip Frame that may work better than a factory grip.

If at all possible,, I'd see if I could find a gun range & gun owners with different guns to try out to assist in the final decision.

castmiester
12-20-2023, 09:40 PM
be alot easier if it was paperless. Buy one and bring it back and trade it. But having permits makes it more difficult. So yeah I need to be more selective. Sounds like you are for Bisley. You being who you are I'll take your word for it. Does Houge make grips for the Ruger bisley?

shooting on a shoestring
12-20-2023, 10:27 PM
Here’s my 60 year old Super Blackhawk.
It’s shows some experience.

Bigslug
12-20-2023, 10:38 PM
Good to know!! Different brands have longer bullets than others yes. I heard about the grips on the BH being disappointing. The RH being better. I like houge grips myself.

Totally personal issue. My SBH is the classic Colt Peacemaker profile with stock grips - I REALLY dislike the Bisley frame option myself, but they have a large following.

My Redhawk went through a couple aftermarkets before ending up with the original factory wood back on it.

I regard the Smiths as a having little more comfortable frame geometry, but the RH has a certain mechanical beastliness one has to admire.

Older Smiths were square butt only. New ones are round butt only with the option of square butt simulating grips.

If it's about feel for you, then our opinion isn't likely to help you much. Time to go tire-kicking!

cwtebay
12-20-2023, 11:03 PM
321225That's a good looking old gal! I like the honest wear.

castmiester
12-21-2023, 02:49 AM
Totally personal issue. My SBH is the classic Colt Peacemaker profile with stock grips - I REALLY dislike the Bisley frame option myself, but they have a large following.

My Redhawk went through a couple aftermarkets before ending up with the original factory wood back on it.

I regard the Smiths as a having little more comfortable frame geometry, but the RH has a certain mechanical beastliness one has to admire.

Older Smiths were square butt only. New ones are round butt only with the option of square butt simulating grips.

If it's about feel for you, then our opinion isn't likely to help you much. Time to go tire-kicking!
Looks like your peace maker has the same profile the BH does.

Bigslug
12-21-2023, 09:31 AM
Looks like your peace maker has the same profile the BH does.

Blackhawk, Super Blackhawk and Super Blackhawk Hunter are all basically Peacemaker clones as far as the grip shape goes. "Bisley" was a target range in England, and the name somehow got attached to a model of Colt that was used at those matches. The Bisley-style grip frame attached to a Colt or Ruger single action provides more of a vertical grip which some people like.

It's very similar to the difference between a WWI-spec 1911 with its flat mainspring housing (Bisley), and the WWII-spec 1911-A1 with its arched mainspring housing (Peacemaker). Generally, folks prefer one, and the other will be slightly "wrong".

Thumbcocker
12-21-2023, 09:53 AM

Love a gun that has "been there and done that".

Texas by God
12-21-2023, 10:30 AM

That “Been there, done that” revolver is beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

contender1
12-21-2023, 12:52 PM
be alot easier if it was paperless. Buy one and bring it back and trade it. But having permits makes it more difficult. So yeah I need to be more selective. Sounds like you are for Bisley. You being who you are I'll take your word for it. Does Houge make grips for the Ruger bisley?

I understand your issues with the paperwork in NJ. That truly does prevent a lot of experimentation. This is why I mentioned finding a gun range & others with guns to try before you buy one. Too bad you aren't anywhere near me,, I could let you try whatever you may consider.

As for my preferring a Bisley,, I'll share MY personal experiences.
When Ruger introduced the Bisley g/f on guns,, I figured they wouldn't sell too well. I even resisted trying them. Well, once I did try a few with heavier recoiling handguns,, I found that I, like so many others,, experienced better fit & comfort,,, plus grip control when using a Bisley vs the plow handle. But as noted above in a few places,, some prefer the plow handle design.
And some mention the knuckle busting of the Ruger Dragoon g/f over others.

This goes directly back to what fits YOUR hands.

As for Hogue & grips for a Bisley,, I don't think they offer rubber ones,, but I do think they offer wood ones. In shooting heavier recoiling handguns,, it's better to NOT fight the recoil,, but let the physics act as they will. If you look around you won't see any of the really heavy recoiling handguns using rubber grips,, & most will have a form of the Bisley as the design. The Freedom Arms is kinda a cross between a Bisley & a plow handle. And when you shoot a 454 or even larger calibers,, you do not want to try & stop the physics of the recoil going upwards.

BamaNapper
12-21-2023, 02:12 PM
I'm a SBH fan. I bought a Redhawk to hunt with. It shot nice, but it just didn't fit my hand. I tried a couple aftermarket grips, but they were no better. I gave up on the gun, gave it to my son-in-law, and went back to the SBH. The right handgun for hunting is the one you're most comfortable shooting.

As noted, choose the barrel length based on how you hunt. A longer barrel is nice for hunting from a blind or a stand, but the shorter barrel is preferred if you're spending your day on your feet.

castmiester
12-21-2023, 02:45 PM
I'm a SBH fan. I bought a Redhawk to hunt with. It shot nice, but it just didn't fit my hand. I tried a couple aftermarket grips, but they were no better. I gave up on the gun, gave it to my son-in-law, and went back to the SBH. The right handgun for hunting is the one you're most comfortable shooting.

As noted, choose the barrel length based on how you hunt. A longer barrel is nice for hunting from a blind or a stand, but the shorter barrel is preferred if you're spending your day on your feet.

Under 8 inch for still hunting ?

BamaNapper
12-21-2023, 07:07 PM
Under 8 inch for still hunting ?

My favorite shooter is a 7.5" SBH with iron sights. I hunt woods from a blind or stand so my shots are realistically max'ed out at 50-75 yds, and that barrel is more than adequate. I'm not one of those to attempt 100+ yds with a handgun. If I'm walking, the 5.5" is is my choice simply for comfort.

If I was hunting in a more open area there's a 10" .44 Contender barrel in the closet that would probably be put to use. For some reason I've avoided carrying the Contender for quite a few years. It gets brought out for shooting paper, but then put away for hunting season. Just preference I guess.

castmiester
12-21-2023, 07:13 PM
My favorite shooter is a 7.5" SBH with iron sights. I hunt woods from a blind or stand so my shots are realistically max'ed out at 50-75 yds, and that barrel is more than adequate. I'm not one of those to attempt 100+ yds with a handgun. If I'm walking, the 5.5" is is my choice simply for comfort.

If I was hunting in a more open area there's a 10" .44 Contender barrel in the closet that would probably be put to use. For some reason I've avoided carrying the Contender for quite a few years. It gets brought out for shooting paper, but then put away for hunting season. Just preference I guess.

ya.. makes sense, thanks

HWooldridge
12-21-2023, 07:21 PM
Ruger’s Bisley grip is uncomfortable in my lean, bony hands. The old Colt Bisley isn’t bad with medium bore cartridges but I’ve always preferred the standard Peacemaker shape in most any single action, although the “Slim Jim” grips on the 1860 Army are very comfortable, too - but aren’t generally available. I once swapped a set on a .44-40 SAA as an experiment and the result was a good combination. I wish someone would offer the original profile as an option, because the replica cap and ball revolvers are closer to the classic SAA.

rintinglen
12-26-2023, 09:11 PM
I wear a size 12 4E: me telling someone what gun to buy based on what fits me is a silly as me telling them what size shoes to buy. For what its worth, I am a Bisley size frame fan. YMMV

Recycled bullet
12-26-2023, 10:29 PM
What hunting revolver has the smallest thinnest circumference grips?

35 Whelen
12-27-2023, 03:13 AM

I've killed quite a few deer and hogs with .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers, mostly 4 3/4" and 5 1/2", all Uberti SA's. I've preferred these revolvers because they're light and easy to carry on the hip when walking for long distances and are more than accurate enough out to at least 75 yds. I've owned a Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special now for many years, but just never got around to using it, yet. I never found the need for heavy loads, only one of mine used had a MV in excess of 1000 fps (.44 Special w/258 gr. SWCHP @ 1105 fps) and the buck I killed with it was no deader than those I killed with lighter loads. The rest were 258 gr. .44 caliber and 285 gr. .45 caliber running 935 - 980 fps, and they all just sail through game on broadside shots, even on game out to almost 50 yds.

Now that my eyes are 60 years old and the sights of the Uberti SA's are getting more difficult to see, I'll be switching the Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special and in fact am in the process of buying a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt.

I guess my point is the smaller frame revolvers are over a half pound lighter and can be loaded heavy enough to do anything that needs to be done in the lower 48. Just food for thought.

35W

Thom_44
03-29-2024, 12:51 AM
I've killed quite a few deer and hogs with .44 Special and .45 Colt revolvers, mostly 4 3/4" and 5 1/2", all Uberti SA's. I've preferred these revolvers because they're light and easy to carry on the hip when walking for long distances and are more than accurate enough out to at least 75 yds. I've owned a Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special now for many years, but just never got around to using it, yet. I never found the need for heavy loads, only one of mine used had a MV in excess of 1000 fps (.44 Special w/258 gr. SWCHP @ 1105 fps) and the buck I killed with it was no deader than those I killed with lighter loads. The rest were 258 gr. .44 caliber and 285 gr. .45 caliber running 935 - 980 fps, and they all just sail through game on broadside shots, even on game out to almost 50 yds.

Now that my eyes are 60 years old and the sights of the Uberti SA's are getting more difficult to see, I'll be switching the Flat Top Blackhawk .44 Special and in fact am in the process of buying a Ruger Flat Top Blackhawk Convertible in 45 Colt.

I guess my point is the smaller frame revolvers are over a half pound lighter and can be loaded heavy enough to do anything that needs to be done in the lower 48. Just food for thought.

35W

Those are some of the finest words on the caliber debate you can find. Pretty much in line with Skelton when he put out his "every day, 90% of what you need load" of 10 grains Unique, 240-250 SWC, 44 magnum case.

And owning a Smith and Wesson 629 discourages me from "energetic loading data" and big bullets. I almost went for that SBH hunter model, oh so beautiful but then i saw some youtube videos of a guy doing ammo testing with factory 350 grain loads... sure he could shoot through the door of a fire safe he got at walmart, but he admitted he needed to carry a screw driver in his pocket to poke the empties out. And the way the muzzle of the gun was pointing behind his head after every shot...

contender1
03-29-2024, 09:56 AM
" then i saw some youtube videos of a guy doing ammo testing with factory 350 grain loads... sure he could shoot through the door of a fire safe he got at walmart, but he admitted he needed to carry a screw driver in his pocket to poke the empties out. And the way the muzzle of the gun was pointing behind his head after every shot...[/QUOTE]"

I tend to take MUCH of what is posted on "you-boob" with a BIG grain of salt.
I own a few Ruger big bores,, in the Hunter variety, and have NEVER had to "carry a screwdriver" to get the empties out.
And obviously 350 grn rounds in a .44 mag are not "normal" factory offerings by any of the bigger ammo makers. Maybe Buffalo Bore or Cor-Bon offer such things,, but it's not as "normal" as most factory offerings.

With most of us here being casters & such,, even a cast slug of heavier than normal ammo isn't that bad.

And the comment about the gun muzzle pointing behind his head after every shot,, well, I'd say he's not a very experienced shooter with a .44 mag.
I've personally shot a few heavy .44 loads in a few of my Rugers. And I've shot .45 Colt, and .480's. NONE of them had my muzzle behind my head, ever.
The closest guns I've ever shot that had serious enough recoil to where the muzzle went up & above my head (yet still not behind my head,) were a BFR in 450 Marlin, and a custom .500 Huntington, using Buffalo Bore ammo.
I'd say the you-boob shooter had very little experience with SERIOUS handgunning.

Thom_44
03-29-2024, 01:44 PM
contender... yeah may not have been a gun in good knack, could have been genuine factory, or could have been home made ammo in a factory box.

But if 240-250 was "good enough" for Skelton to go hunting with, why would it not be a good choice today?

contender1
03-29-2024, 08:57 PM
Thom_44,, I've been a handgun hunter for decades. I've taken well over 100 whitetails with a handgun. Plus,, I have several friends who are also dedicated handgun hunters. So I think I have a little bit of insight into hunting with one.

We all often discuss the basic formula for a solid, game taking handgun. Caliber starting with a "4". Quality cast & often powder coated bullets. Velocity in the 1000-1200 fps range for most of the North American game out there. As for Skeeter's info,, I was reading Skeeter's works long ago, and even met him once. I have packed a .44 Spl,,, with a 240 grn cast bullet, loaded with 7.5 grns of Unique, as a comfortable handgun hunting package for deer & even elk. If I were to step up to bear,, I use a 265 grn solid cast bullet,, in .45 Colt, and the velocity runs a tad over 1100 fps. I live in WNC,, where we get black bears in the 400-700 lb range often. I never feel undergunned with that.
So a .44 mag,, with a good 240-275 grn cast bullet, running 1000-1200 fps will be just fine. AND if you have any proper shooting abilities,, the gun will not put the muzzle behind the head.

If you happen to be close to WNC and wanted to try out several calibers & loads,, I own a gun range & I do NOT charge like the rapers at the range you went to. In fact,, you'd be shocked at how little I charge to actually help shooters learn stuff properly.

contender1
03-29-2024, 09:00 PM
Oh,, and before other folks say I'm not including the .357 cal as a serious hunting handgun,, it too can be quite good. Here's a picture of a deer taken this past season with my Ruger .357 Maximum Blackhawk. A cast 195 grn SWC,,gas checked, and yes,, it's accuracy point was a bit faster than the 1200 fps I've mentioned,, but it's what the gun likes!

https://i.postimg.cc/QCspqpzL/Maxi-buck-1.jpg (https://postimg.cc/ygQg1SBn)

racepres
03-29-2024, 09:05 PM
Oh... the .357 is a sledgehammer on deer..In the form of the 357 Herrett, it is ab out as good as my 141 35 Remington!!!

cwtebay
03-29-2024, 09:07 PM
I do find it amazing how a 30-30 Winchester is a borderline acceptable deer cartridge in a rifle, but you put that sumf buck in a handgun and you're ready for grizzly!

racepres
03-29-2024, 09:28 PM
I do find it amazing how a 30-30 Winchester is a borderline acceptable deer cartridge in a rifle, but you put that sumf buck in a handgun and you're ready for grizzly!

So it seems...But...around these parts the 35 Remington has all my life been more than acceptable...so, stands to reason that almost exactly the same Ballistics from my Long Barreled Handgun???? Or...Is it a Short handled Rifle??

Thom_44
03-29-2024, 09:34 PM
Thom_44,, I've been a handgun hunter for decades. I've taken well over 100 whitetails with a handgun. Plus,, I have several friends who are also dedicated handgun hunters. So I think I have a little bit of insight into hunting with one.

We all often discuss the basic formula for a solid, game taking handgun. Caliber starting with a "4". Quality cast & often powder coated bullets. Velocity in the 1000-1200 fps range for most of the North American game out there. As for Skeeter's info,, I was reading Skeeter's works long ago, and even met him once. I have packed a .44 Spl,,, with a 240 grn cast bullet, loaded with 7.5 grns of Unique, as a comfortable handgun hunting package for deer & even elk. If I were to step up to bear,, I use a 265 grn solid cast bullet,, in .45 Colt, and the velocity runs a tad over 1100 fps. I live in WNC,, where we get black bears in the 400-700 lb range often. I never feel undergunned with that.
So a .44 mag,, with a good 240-275 grn cast bullet, running 1000-1200 fps will be just fine. AND if you have any proper shooting abilities,, the gun will not put the muzzle behind the head.

If you happen to be close to WNC and wanted to try out several calibers & loads,, I own a gun range & I do NOT charge like the rapers at the range you went to. In fact,, you'd be shocked at how little I charge to actually help shooters learn stuff properly.

Thats one of the reasons I went with a 44, that bullet load is not abusive on the shooter, I have no interest in trying to push a 357 to similar levels.

I considered 357 for deer hunting, but as I have black bear to worry on most of the year, and i read a few articles from a major bear hunting outfitter down south that said something on the lines of "guys who use a 357 magnum, do get a bear but normally need to RELOAD. And those guys always come back the following season with a .41 or .44"

contender1
03-30-2024, 09:50 AM
Thom_44,, sounds like you are on the right track with a .44. I put in the .357 Maxi as a side thing just to prevent the folks who do use a .357 a lot from saying I snubbed them. I don't. I use it too.

But I am down south,, with some big bears. And a .357 is good if you have a treed bear, AND can place a good shot. But,, many of the local bear hunters I know frown a lot on handguns for bear,, and some flat out refuse to accept anything less than a .44 mag.
But As I've said, my .45 Colt is loaded for bear and can easily handle a big one. I have a friend in Idaho,, who also posts here occasionally,, (sixshot) who hunted Africa twice with just handguns. His most recent safari he used a .45 Colt for a Cape Buffalo. Do a search,, as I seem to recall his posting that hunt here a few years ago.

Point being,, a good bullet, in a .44 mag, and running in the 1000-1200 fps range,, will handle most stuff in North America.

Thom_44
03-30-2024, 01:51 PM
Thom_44,, sounds like you are on the right track with a .44. I put in the .357 Maxi as a side thing just to prevent the folks who do use a .357 a lot from saying I snubbed them. I don't. I use it too.

But I am down south,, with some big bears. And a .357 is good if you have a treed bear, AND can place a good shot. But,, many of the local bear hunters I know frown a lot on handguns for bear,, and some flat out refuse to accept anything less than a .44 mag.
But As I've said, my .45 Colt is loaded for bear and can easily handle a big one. I have a friend in Idaho,, who also posts here occasionally,, (sixshot) who hunted Africa twice with just handguns. His most recent safari he used a .45 Colt for a Cape Buffalo. Do a search,, as I seem to recall his posting that hunt here a few years ago.

Point being,, a good bullet, in a .44 mag, and running in the 1000-1200 fps range,, will handle most stuff in North America.

Thats part of why i went with a 44 to handle hunting/large animal defense. The penetration of a 240 swc at 900fps is comforting. But for some reason the mushrooming and penetration of a JHP hunting bullet is still reassuring.

Texas by God
03-30-2024, 02:43 PM

Exactly^^^^

Thom_44
03-30-2024, 08:41 PM
Exactly^^^^

I believe it is the novelty of shorter barrel of the handgun that provides superior performance over the full sized 30-30 rifle or carbine. For some reason that shorter barrel can provide an extra 150 yards of efective hunting range for white tail.

racepres
03-30-2024, 08:43 PM
I believe it is the novelty of shorter barrel of the handgun that provides superior performance over the full sized 30-30 rifle or carbine. For some reason that shorter barrel can provide an extra 150 yards of efective hunting range for white tail.

Really!!!? So I am mistaken that my 35 Remington is Superior to my 357 Magnum??

Thom_44
03-30-2024, 09:02 PM
Really!!!? So I am mistaken that my 35 Remington is Superior to my 357 Magnum??

Maybe 12 years ago i was watching one of those fake hunting shows on the outdoor channel on dish tv. The expert hunters said that the use of a "pointy bullet" and the use of a 14" contender barrel gave them an extra 150 yards of hunting with a 30-30. The pointy bullet looked alot like 150 grain PSP used in remington .308 factory ammunition.

But they did have the experience to claim that a 16-20" rifle/carbine in 30-30 was only good for about 70 yards using the same bullet profile. I know, those rules should mean that a snub nose LCR in 22lr should be good for 300 yards. And perhaps the HI Power Sentinel snub nose 22lr with its adjsutable rear sight, should be good for 350?

Yes, the 22lr is sarcasm on my part, but from when i watched those fake hunting shows, it was awful common for the celebrity hunters to need 2 ays and the use of dogs to find their deer that "dropped right where it got shot, and never got up again".

Good Cheer
03-31-2024, 06:23 AM
Deer are like that. Usually they only drop right there in your garden, on top of what they were eating.

MOshooter
03-31-2024, 09:59 AM
Ruger BH in 44 mag should make a great choice handgun hunting for deer.

I started handgun hunting 50 years ago with a H&R Sportsman model 999 when I was gifted the H&R for X-mas 1974.
Since then I purchased a S&W 629-2 new 36 years ago for deer hunting, then about 7 years ago bought a S&W 460 with a 7.5" barrel from the Performance center.

44 Magnum is a awesome deer cartridge

white eagle
03-31-2024, 10:20 AM
mine, at the moment, is a m57 S&W 41 mag
it is by far the most accurate handgun I have ever owned, and I have had a lot
My next best is a Ruger flat top 44 special Bisley with 4.625" barrel

contender1
03-31-2024, 10:43 AM
Deer are like that. Usually they only drop right there in your garden, on top of what they were eating.

Heck,, I've dropped a LARGE percentage of my handgun killed whitetails in their tracks. But,, many were also taken with a T/C Contender, and using a neck shot. Bust that spine and they drop DRT!!!!!!

racepres
03-31-2024, 10:53 AM
Heck,, I've dropped a LARGE percentage of my handgun killed whitetails in their tracks. But,, many were also taken with a T/C Contender, and using a neck shot. Bust that spine and they drop DRT!!!!!!
The 357 Herrett, and a Decent placement...Their Legs simply go out from under them!! The 44 Mag... Not nearly as Dramatic!!!
Admittedly, I have shot very Few Deer with a revolver...Mostly Contender..couple with a Rifle even!!!