PDA

View Full Version : Locksmith opinions wanted

Frosty Boolit
12-18-2023, 08:46 PM
I have the opportunity to acquire a safeguard SD107 safe for free, I must only pay to move it. I'm trying to figure out if it's money well spent on a decent safe or not. I have the combination and there is also a keyhole for which I have the key. I'm not sure what the purpose of the key is. Internet searching provides lots of garbage from eastern Europe and Nigeria. I'm hoping someone knows if its a quality safe or not.

cwtebay
12-18-2023, 08:55 PM
I have the opportunity to acquire a safeguard SD107 safe for free, I must only pay to move it. I'm trying to figure out if it's money well spent on a decent safe or not. I have the combination and there is also a keyhole for which I have the key. I'm not sure what the purpose of the key is. Internet searching provides lots of garbage from eastern Europe and Nigeria. I'm hoping someone knows if its a quality safe or not.Have you tried to open it with the combination or the key?
If it doesn't open....a whole lot of grinding and pounding and finding out what it's worth scrap price is in your future!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Jeff Michel
12-18-2023, 09:00 PM
Decent quality safe, especially at that price. There should be an internal lockable drawer and the key "should" interchange with the door. You will likely find that the key will bypass the door tumbler. My home safe is a dead ringer for that safe. I'd be sure that everything works before I'd plunk down my money to move it.

Frosty Boolit
12-18-2023, 09:01 PM
I can open it.

Winger Ed.
12-18-2023, 09:43 PM
You can't go wrong at that price.
You may have to rent a appliance dolly, but with 2 guys- they'll move up to 750 pounds.

The key is probably for a inside cabinet or it might lock the dial.
It's a security feature for commercial safes where if different people know the combination-
the owner can lock the dial when they're away. Turn it to 'O', and put in the key.

Even if it has a junk lock, you can get a re-tro fit S&G kit on Amazon and swap it out yourself.

Frosty Boolit
12-18-2023, 09:56 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll make plans to get it to my house.

Alstep
12-18-2023, 11:59 PM
With a couple of stout oak planks and some heavy pipe rollers, a crow bar and a come along, I've moved some pretty heave machinery. A safe would be no problem. Good luck with the move.

Winger Ed.
12-19-2023, 12:11 AM
If it's pretty heavy, on most of them, open the door 90 degrees and the it will lift off.
On most safes, it is about 1/3 of its total weight.

Get it where ya want it, then set the door back on.
Two big, husky guys can do it all pretty easily.
If you can move it with the door on it, put the door towards the dolly.

Take a old blanket to put between the safe and/or door and the dolly.
If the dolly's frame lines up with the door handle or lock face, put a board above or below it
and between the blanket & the dolly.

Sasquatch-1
12-19-2023, 08:27 AM
It is possible that the key you mention could be a change key. It is a key used to change the combination if this is a dial style lock.

In my area, the guy who moves safes for all the chain stores charges about $400.00 to move one. My safe weighed in at about a thousand pounds. He had a special electric stair climbing hand truck to get into my basement.

.429&H110
12-19-2023, 05:12 PM
I was dollying a boiler core down the customer's cellar stairs and broke the stairs, I landed unhurt atop the wreck. Didn't hurt the cast iron at all, but I lost money on the carpentry project. They needed new stairs anyway. You might want to check for dryrot before you park a Toyota in the living room, just saying...

Winger Ed.
12-19-2023, 06:05 PM
He had a special electric stair climbing hand truck to get into my basement.

Those are cool.
We had one that the plate the load rested on could travel up & down too.
You could bring a safe out onto a freight dock, then lower it down into a pick up truck.