PDA

View Full Version : Curious to see what this does on game

Wolfdog91
12-18-2023, 04:47 PM
Rain got the berm super soft and was able to recover this (NOE 310-165-fn from my 7.62x39 AR) out the berm @ 100yd hope it keep raining like us been so the hogs come back out ans I can test these on them. Hope they do what I like and enter expand dup all energy and no exit
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/98134fe2f0fdb4a9429efbd810c30327.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/28ffc11ddf5a7aebd07523ac6bba8431.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/1f9a9bd924c80207ba253c3f2f777e77.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/58ccf0f3805606d5df3b29e68ed0c39f.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

dk17hmr
12-18-2023, 05:10 PM
How soft are they cast?

Just about everything will expand in wet sand.

BLAHUT
12-18-2023, 05:15 PM
Pure lead cannot be beat for total expansion and energy transfer ..... speed at about 1200 FPS. 100yds of dead hogs.........

Wolfdog91
12-18-2023, 06:10 PM
How soft are they cast?

Just about everything will expand in wet sand.

Actually not 100% , I don't test this batch like I usually do,but probably around 14bhn

Winger Ed.
12-18-2023, 06:52 PM
Just a guess, but I think it will ruin their day.

slim1836
12-18-2023, 08:32 PM
Happy hunting, looks like a fine load.

Slim

ChristopherO
12-18-2023, 11:59 PM
Go get em and wonder no longer. Be sure to give us the full report with pictures, too.

FergusonTO35
12-19-2023, 04:14 PM
Simple: just cap 'em til they're dead!

versa-06
12-19-2023, 04:46 PM
Go Get Em!! Then tell us all about it. Can't wait to hear the results. -06

ACC
12-19-2023, 05:16 PM
I use 130 grain cast bullets in my 7.62X39 and although I no longer hunt Deer, it works wonders on feral pigs. I have learned through experimentation that in my bolt action rifle it loves H4198, and likes 4895. But that is just my rifle. Good hunting.

ACC:grin:

41mag
12-27-2023, 06:16 AM
Shoot'em cheap and stack'em deep....:bigsmyl2:

lar45
01-02-2024, 12:26 AM
Looks great to me.
What kind of velocity and accuracy are you getting?
1:10 twist barrel?
.308" groove?
I have tried several cast bullets in my 7.62x39 AR Pistol and I couldn't get good groups with anything but Barnes X's
I did not try that bullet though. I'll have to give it a shot.

popper
01-02-2024, 12:44 PM
Not an X39 but BO with 170 gr RD (PB) from 1:8 10" pistol. 321654 18" 1:10 carbine AR 145gr 321655
Both about 3% Sb and PCd.
Hogs are not hard to kill, just hard to hit. Only one I got was 165gr TC @ 20 yds with a XD40 - went tail to jaw, breaking stuff on the way. No recovered bullet but recovered from rock pile, 98% retained weight and it looked like a soda can. Just don't hit the big ones in the shoulder (fat) and no problem. Yup, missed a few with carbine, bad shots. jacketed. If they run off you get coyotes as target.

Tripplebeards
01-02-2024, 01:10 PM
14BH IMO is pretty hard alloy for hunting. Make sure to hit the hard shoulder plate so you get expansion. Pure lead is 4 to 5 BH. I’d tell you to re cast up and try some softer alloy on them for knock down comparison. A dirt berm is ALOT harder than an animal so imo that boolit isn’t going to expend well unless you hit something hard to slow it down or stop it.

lar45
01-02-2024, 04:20 PM
How fast are you guys pushing your cast in the x39?

01-02-2024, 05:14 PM
Wolfdog91 ~ i have been lurking around this topic since junior1942 started to work up a load for the 7.62 x 39 with a heavy for caliber cast boolit. Think I'll check the larder for a similar mold and get to work!

JDL
01-02-2024, 06:40 PM
I am getting 1953 fps with a 165 grain FN using 25 grains of WC-844 and 1878 fps using 28 grains of surplus 4895 and with slightly better accuracy. Clip on wheelweights and while I've not got a shot at a deer, it's pure poison on coyotes and armadillos.

Elpatoloco
01-02-2024, 06:41 PM
14BH IMO is pretty hard alloy for hunting. Make sure to hit the hard shoulder plate so you get expansion. Pure lead is 4 to 5 BH. I’d tell you to re cast up and try some softer alloy on them for knock down comparison. A dirt berm is ALOT harder than an animal so imo that boolit isn’t going to expend well unless you hit something hard to slow it down or stop it.

I agree with everything said except the part about " Hard Shoulder Plate" I kill LOTS of Hogs. Year round. Ive never seen one with a hard plate. That shoulder covering fat can be sliced with a butter knife. If you are talking Bone? Thats where Id want my shot to land with a solid slug.

rickt300
01-02-2024, 07:24 PM
I agree with everything said except the part about " Hard Shoulder Plate" I kill LOTS of Hogs. Year round. Ive never seen one with a hard plate. That shoulder covering fat can be sliced with a butter knife. If you are talking Bone? Thats where Id want my shot to land with a solid slug.

Boy I have. I have skinned boars that the hide looked like a saddle the shield was so thick. Not like fat at all. That said I felt it only helped initiate expansion.

Elpatoloco
01-02-2024, 07:30 PM
Boy I have. I have skinned boars that the hide looked like a saddle the shield was so thick. Not like fat at all. That said I felt it only helped initiate expansion.Well, I guess we can Agree to Disagree then. Ive literally Killed hundreds of them out here in West Texas. Never seen anything that was HARD. knives go right through it. I think the myth that folks claim that hogs can soak up bullets comes from the fact that they shoot them wrong. But heck, I don't know everything. Yes some of the old boars have a thick fat/ gristle layer. No, it wont stop a 22 LR. Out here we put lead in every one we see. Trap them, etc.....
I am sick of them....but they do eat good. Freezer stays packed

Just my experience.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

lar45
01-03-2024, 10:13 AM
I like to shoot them right behind the ear = no tracking

rickt300
01-03-2024, 01:17 PM
Well, I guess we can Agree to Disagree then. Ive literally Killed hundreds of them out here in West Texas. Never seen anything that was HARD. knives go right through it. I think the myth that folks claim that hogs can soak up bullets comes from the fact that they shoot them wrong. But heck, I don't know everything. Yes some of the old boars have a thick fat/ gristle layer. No, it wont stop a 22 LR. Out here we put lead in every one we see. Trap them, etc.....
I am sick of them....but they do eat good. Freezer stays packed

Just my experience.

Most of the big ones I killed north of Guthrie Tx had some kind of cartilage shield. A few were very impressive. In that area it seemed a majority of the hogs were very big 200 pounds and over. I rarely shot one under 150 pounds. And yes I found bullets in them. Not necessarily because of the shield though. A lot of hogs are just shot at out there with no intentions of recovering them.

Elpatoloco
01-03-2024, 01:23 PM
Most of the big ones I killed north of Guthrie Tx had some kind of cartilage shield. A few were very impressive. In that area it seemed a majority of the hogs were very big 200 pounds and over. I rarely shot one under 150 pounds. And yes I found bullets in them. Not necessarily because of the shield though. A lot of hogs are just shot at out there with no intentions of recovering them.Yes Sir. Not sure where that is in the state. I grew up on the Red River near Gainesville. Started in on the hogs in the early 90s.

Moved out near Abilene in 2010s.

I have got to where I dont even get up after shooting anything that I can identify as a boar before touching the round off. I dont clean boars no matter the size anymore. No reason to as the pigs are EVERYWHERE.

On one 160 acre place we have, I hunt it 2 to 3 nights a week except the months that is too hot to sit in a box over bait. Trap all I can and the neighbors hunt 2 or 3 times a year with Helicopter. I cannot tell that we have put a dent in them.

Ranch dog told me years ago that they give the Boars a pass and just shoot sows. Claimed that thins them down better. I guess the boars leave when the girls are gone.

I got 7 or 9 with one shot earlier this year.

We leave most of them for the buzzards anymre. Can only stack so much in the freezer and neighbors freezer.

Planting peanuts or Milo is a waste as you will lose it all to the pigs.

That night vision scope was $500 and high powered illuminator was $150is by the time I got extra batteries, charger,etc. I figured it would be the best $650 that I ever spent......hasnt slowed them down one bit.

Maybe I sould take Ranch Dogs advise and let the boars pass.

I hope the bullet works for Wolfdog. I have my doubts about expansion, but I saw a thread where he was getting really good groups with it. I moved to hollow points. They really are no harder to drop than deer.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240103/327c6a8cfc443f37c85c68eaaac04376.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240103/c9c05fa8453c0e37b357d07bda6817fa.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240103/2997353f9111411dd3ef508a649e9eba.jpg

Jeff Michel
01-03-2024, 04:52 PM
Don't expect any expansion....... Break their shoulders or lung shot or as Lar45 suggested, head shot.

405grain
01-03-2024, 05:40 PM
If you need to lower their numbers shoot the sows; males don't have babies three times a year. 150 pounds (or there about) was my cutoff point. Above that the quality of the meat seemed to drop, and it was just more work hauling it out of the woods. IMHO sows have more tender meat than the boars. In California pigs are considered a game animal, so folks going after them here are hunting for the meat. If you live in Texas or Oklahoma, (or anywhere where they're a pest species) just shoot as many as you can, and then pick out the best meat hog from the pile. It's been some years since I've gone pig hunting - maybe making that trip again is long overdue.

Jim22
01-03-2024, 07:32 PM
Hi. Good idea for hogs. I have never shot one but that mould hardly qualifies as a flat point boolit. How big is the FP? An eighth of an inch? Since your boolit mould produces a boolit that takes a gas check and that the boolits are powder coated I am in the group that says you should make the boolits softer. I am using some powder coated sans gas check that are half COWW and half pure lead. No leading so far. How fast are they flying?

Jim

Wolfdog91
01-03-2024, 07:32 PM
Some tips on hogs.
DO NOT SHOOT THEM LIKE DEER. Everyone I've talked to who talks about these things being so hard to kill tried to shoots them like deer big middle shots. Yeah don't do that. Central nervous system shots are too easy to make and drops them like a brick with about anything.223 and up
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240103/612d6e94bb3ef138b55e0c4c03bbc100.jpg
One shot 7.62x39 100 off yards , DOA.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240103/e4259b3d01bc9242dbe3ddbd1beffadc.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20240103/18f2be38fdc424e47479d19b6b6f34d0.jpg

I have no interest and tracking out what have you so I just do my best to make my loads to where I can put them where I need and honestly even for these shots fist sized groups @ 100yd with the cheapest steel cased I could find bang flood more hogs then I can count

Wolfdog91
01-03-2024, 07:33 PM
Hi. Good idea for hogs. I have never shot one but that mould hardly qualifies as a flat point boolit. How big is the FP? An eighth of an inch? Since your boolit mould produces a boolit that takes a gas check and that the boolits are powder coated I am in the group that says you should make the boolits softer. I am using some powder coated sans gas check that are half COWW and half pure lead. No leading so far. How fast are they flying?

Jimhttps://youtu.be/k7HEcfpGWvU?si=iT_WZt98g2u_stvk

Elpatoloco
01-03-2024, 09:08 PM
If you need to lower their numbers shoot the sows; males don't have babies three times a year. 150 pounds (or there about) was my cutoff point. Above that the quality of the meat seemed to drop, and it was just more work hauling it out of the woods. IMHO sows have more tender meat than the boars. In California pigs are considered a game animal, so folks going after them here are hunting for the meat. If you live in Texas or Oklahoma, (or anywhere where they're a pest species) just shoot as many as you can, and then pick out the best meat hog from the pile. It's been some years since I've gone pig hunting - maybe making that trip again is long overdue.

Hogs a game animal? Is there a limit on them? If so, the powers that be who made that law will regret the day they thought that up.
They come into town here and root up nice lawns!

Any boar hog big enough to breed has a smell when it is cooked. Like, every last one of them that I have tried. They dont taste funny, but they do have that stink. Early on, when they first showed up, I'd clean the boars. I dont even like to scoop them up in the tractor anymore. Stink, stank, stunk!

I cut every ounce of fat off of the sows and add domestic pork fat for sausage. My buddy srated making jerky out of them. Boil meat in marinade before drying.

popper
01-04-2024, 11:04 AM
Those of you that PC bore-ridding bullets, just pick them up with hemostats at the bands and dust off the nose powder with fingers. Then they fit without nose sizing.

405grain
01-04-2024, 04:55 PM
popper's right; for best accuracy with powder coated bore riders keep the PC off the nose. There's got to be a half dozen ways of doing this, but just powder coat the driving bands so the nose doesn't get too fat. An exception is when you use cast bullets that were intended for a .308 bore in something like a 7.62x39 or a 7.65x53. In that application the PC can take a bullet that's undersized for a rifle, and make it just the right size.

Elpatoloco: Hogs a game animal? You're confusion on this is because you live in a country called the United States of America. In California guns are evil & hunting is cruel. Yes, they used to have a limit on pigs, and you even had to buy a pig tag. That all changed last year when the hog population got so big that they were showing up in the city parks and knocking over trash cans in alleys. Probably a herd of pigs must have rooted up some politicians front lawn, but by the time they acknowledged that there was a problem it was already way too late.

rickt300
01-07-2024, 05:05 PM
One thing I have learned about pigs and their possible table fare is that the ones that have a mild old school antifreeze smell are probably good to eat. The ones that actually stink not so much. Even some of the bigger ones can be plenty good enough to eat. Don't know if it is some kind of musk breeding hogs go into or what that makes them too nasty to skin.

Elpatoloco
01-07-2024, 11:36 PM
One thing I have learned about pigs and their possible table fare is that the ones that have a mild old school antifreeze smell are probably good to eat. The ones that actually stink not so much. Even some of the bigger ones can be plenty good enough to eat. Don't know if it is some kind of musk breeding hogs go into or what that makes them too nasty to skin.

I think what puzzles me about them is some are completely infested with lice, fleas, and ticks....others out of the same herd wont have any bugs at all on them.

waksupi
01-08-2024, 09:54 AM

That's just how an un-castrated male stinks.

versa-06
01-08-2024, 04:01 PM
I 2nd the last statement from waksupi. From what hogs I've killed in the wild is, if they get to about 125-130 lbs they will start that smell. & some just aren't worth skinning. -06

Wilderness
01-08-2024, 05:48 PM
Any boar hog big enough to breed has a smell when it is cooked. Like, every last one of them that I have tried. They dont taste funny, but they do have that stink.

Where I come from it's called "boar taint", and I can sure as Hell taste it.

In commercial practice now, boars are left entire if they are growing fast and are to be killed early enough (100 lbs?). Sometimes one gets through to the supermarket, that either grew too slowly or matured too fast. That roast (or chops) will stink out the kitchen quick time. Bring back castration I say. "Boar taint" can also occur in sows on heat. In slower growing wild pigs, taint can set in early - any young boar would be suspect.

I shoot a lot of hogs for pest destruction and don't eat them. Our hogs have a partiality for eating carcases and have some disease issues. The catch 'em and eat 'em crowd may take the sows but cut the boars and let them go. Every year I shoot a few big old barrows.

As regards Wolf's original post, I too would suggest a hollow point. The Forster hollow pointing tool with 1/16" drill would be a good start. Drill to half (or less) of bullet length. I shoot my hogs these days with 175 gn HPGC .30-30 bullet at 2200 fps. I also agree with Wolf on shot placement - keep it well forward on pigs. There is something deceptive about their shape that leads us to hit further back than we thought we were aiming. Behind the shoulder is too far back.

Elpatoloco
01-08-2024, 05:50 PM
Where I come from it's called "boar taint", and I can sure as Hell taste it.

In commercial practice now, boars are left entire if they are growing fast and are to be killed early enough (100 lbs?). Sometimes one gets through to the supermarket, that either grew too slowly or matured too fast. That roast (or chops) will stink out the kitchen quick time. Bring back castration I say. "Boar taint" can also occur in sows on heat. In wild pigs, taint can set in early - any young boar would be suspect.

I shoot a lot of hogs for pest destruction and don't eat them. Our hogs have a partiality for eating carcases and have some disease issues. The catch 'em and eat 'em crowd may take the sows but cut the boars and let them go. Every year I shoot a few big old barrows.I can smell it in supermarket pork sometimes as well. Cant taste it though.

I dont practice catch and release, so I dunno about cuttin them boars. I put lead in everyone I can find.
Neighbor welded up a locomotive bumper on his farm truck and will hit them on purpose at full speed.

Tripplebeards
01-08-2024, 09:58 PM
Well, that explains why the only pig I ever shot an ate from a game Farm about 25 years ago tasted excellent, but it smelled like pig poop when I cooked it.lol. Stunk the whole house up every time I cooked up some but it sure tasted good. :holysheep:holysheep:holysheep:dung_hits_fan::dung _hits_fan::dung_hits_fan:

mnewcomb59
01-09-2024, 10:10 AM
I have had a lot of supermarket pork in the past few years that has the poopy testosterone smell. Pork's just not that good, even when its clean. Definitely not as good as venison, chicken or beef! Now I did have some wild sow that was dark red and pretty mild tasting, but you never know what you're gonna get with pork. Even store bought can taste strong and poopy.

dverna
01-09-2024, 11:29 AM
Weird...never had "stinky pork". We buy from supermarkets in Michigan.

Are you guys buying commercially raised pork or is some "fly by night" selling wild hogs to your supermarkets?

rickt300
01-09-2024, 08:01 PM
I think what puzzles me about them is some are completely infested with lice, fleas, and ticks....others out of the same herd wont have any bugs at all on them.

True and some of the oddest looking parasites. A pale almost see through form of lice almost as big around as a dime.

rickt300
01-26-2024, 02:04 PM
Hogs a game animal? Is there a limit on them? If so, the powers that be who made that law will regret the day they thought that up.
They come into town here and root up nice lawns!

Any boar hog big enough to breed has a smell when it is cooked. Like, every last one of them that I have tried. They dont taste funny, but they do have that stink. Early on, when they first showed up, I'd clean the boars. I dont even like to scoop them up in the tractor anymore. Stink, stank, stunk!

I cut every ounce of fat off of the sows and add domestic pork fat for sausage. My buddy srated making jerky out of them. Boil meat in marinade before drying.

Years ago hunting at the Guthrie lease. Man it was freezing and windy but the hogs were out that night. Steve stopped the truck and I shot a small one around a hundred pounds. We got out and threw it in the truck. When I got back in the truck the smell on my gloves was incredible! We took that pig to the boneyard and got him out of the truck and went back to the cabin so we could get different gloves.

Tallison1911
05-04-2024, 08:26 PM
I'd sure like to see the results.of the hunt. Good luck

K43
05-04-2024, 10:16 PM
Taking Nephew with you?

gwpercle
05-17-2024, 01:52 PM
Rain got the berm super soft and was able to recover this (NOE 310-165-fn from my 7.62x39 AR) out the berm @ 100yd hope it keep raining like us been so the hogs come back out ans I can test these on them. Hope they do what I like and enter expand dup all energy and no exit
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/98134fe2f0fdb4a9429efbd810c30327.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/28ffc11ddf5a7aebd07523ac6bba8431.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/1f9a9bd924c80207ba253c3f2f777e77.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231218/58ccf0f3805606d5df3b29e68ed0c39f.jpg

:goodpost:
LIKE LIKE LIKE !!!

Perfect Pig Perforator ... Awesome :drinks:
Gary

JIMinPHX
05-28-2024, 08:47 PM
In areas where hogs are a moderate problem, I've known people to trap them young, castrate them, then let them go so that they can fatten up while not getting gamy, tough, and nasty. Normally you cut a chunk out of an ear when you castrate them so that you can identify the cut ones when it's time to harvest them in a year or so.

In areas where they are a major problem, it's just kill them as quickly as you can. Shooting from a chopper seems the most effective way to get big kill numbers, in areas where that's legal. Pen traps are probably a close second. Hunting on foot, just gets a small percentage of them unless you really know your stuff.

I've seen someone plug a hog with a .308, only to have it turn & come back after him. I've seen them dropped with a .22mag & even a hot shot air gun. Shot placement means a lot. Also the variety of hog means a lot too. Russian bores & Javalina are both called hogs, but they are as different as a pit bull & a poodle.

JIMinPHX
05-28-2024, 09:14 PM
Actually not 100% , I don't test this batch like I usually do,but probably around 14bhn

When I wanted to hunt with something like that, I would pick an alloy that I expected would give me the expansion I wanted, then load a bunch of different powder charges & shoot into a soft backstop, like crumb rubber, & recover the boolits. When I started to see skid marks in the rifling, I had gotten too fast. In some cases, slower powders would let me get up to higher speeds without skidding, but if I went too slow, then I would not get full obduration & I would get gas cutting and lead spew blowing forward of the boolit as it moved through the barrel. In this case, the barrel would foul quickly and accuracy was poor. A very fast powder can deform a soft boolit before it leaves the barrel. This screws with accuracy quite a bit.

The fit of the boolit in the barrel was also important. With softer alloys & moderate powder charges, I never had much luck with boolits that were much less than .001 larger than the groove diameter of the specific barrel.

There are a lot of variables to play with. It takes time to work up to the magic recipe.

I remember .30-30 being one of my best cast-shooting rifle calibers. I'd have to look back into some old records to see how with I did with the Russian short .30 you have. I did fool with that for a while & I do remember having success hunting with it. ...but it's been a while.