PDA

View Full Version : Bought one of the new Marlin 1894s in .357 Mag.

Idaho45guy
12-16-2023, 06:01 AM
This will be my third Marlin 1894 I have owned since 2007. The first was a used JM I bought in Arizona for $400. Chambered in .357 Mag, it was supposed to be a working rifle when I lived out in the boonies. I had javelina terrorizing my lawn and dogs, and a cougar in the area going after the javelina. But it was just too nice to have bouncing around on an ATV or thrown in the Jeep.

I got divorced a few years later and sold it for $1200 to some lawyer in SF wanting to play cowboy. It paid for my move from Arizona to Idaho.

The second one was a new Remington made 1894 in .45 Colt bought in 2015. It was supposed to be a camp carbine for the Idaho woods. I bought it online for $750 and was very disappointed when it arrived. It was like a cheap imitation of my JM 1894. The checkering was crude, the action was awful, fit and finish was subpar, and it would not reliably function. I joined a Marlin forum to try and figure out how to get it to run, and it never did. I sold it for $700 a year or so later.

Today's purchase was a total impulse buy. I have long since replaced the 1894 with a Henry Black rifle in .45 Colt as a camp/hiking/ATV carbine and it is awesome! Great rifle!

But today while visiting the local gun shop on my birthday, I spotted one of the new Ruger-made 1894s in .357 Mag. I inspected it and it was much, much better than the Remington-made 1894 in terms of finish and wood to metal fit. The checkering was much better, and it just seemed like a nicer rifle overall. Still not as nice as my JM 1894, but getting closer. The price was $959, which was less than most are going for online. With my military discount and birthday gift card, I paid $946 total for the rifle and a box of ammo, including taxes.

I'm planning on shooting it tomorrow and praying that it functions better than the Remlin.

r80rt
12-16-2023, 07:46 AM
Nice, I saw one at the local fun shop yesterday, it was impressive.

dverna
12-16-2023, 09:32 AM
I hope it works out for you. Looking forward to your range report.

I have two JM 1894's and they will be here when I go home. Two rifles I will never sell.

kungfustyle
12-16-2023, 10:02 AM
Happy birthday to you. I love birthdays like that. Great looking rifle.

Idaho45guy
12-17-2023, 12:47 AM
Complete range report here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgazLjfRgjU&t=507s

Outer Rondacker
12-17-2023, 07:58 AM
Congrats on the gun and the birthday. You will love it...

Bloodhound689
12-17-2023, 11:50 AM
Congrats on the rifle and happy Birthday. Ive been fighting the urge on one of these. Thanks for the review

Pereira
12-17-2023, 12:13 PM
Happy belated birthday and congrats on the new toy.

RP

Bigslug
12-17-2023, 03:39 PM
Nice! Saw my first Ruglin last week - one of the .44 Mags - and was overall very impressed. Gonna hold out for a Dark series .357, or at least one with a PG stock.

Comment on the video - you were resting on the mag tube for the .38's and back on the wood for the .357's. Might be a factor in the grouping. Eager to see how it does on cast.

rockrat
12-17-2023, 05:02 PM
I have probably one of the last Remlins. Must have finally figured out how to make them as fit and finish are good. Its accurate and eats just about anything I feed it. Little jiggling of the lever and it even feeds wadcutters
Hope your new Ruglin works out well

Mk42gunner
12-17-2023, 06:49 PM
Glad to read that some one else also buys guns for their own birthday present.

In the early years of this century, I went into the local gunshop to buy a Marlin 1894 in .357 on my birthday. They didn't have one in stock so I bought Winchester 1894 16" barreled carbine instead. I have often regretted that decision.

The worst part is that I still don't have a Marlin in .357.

Robert

45-70marlin
12-17-2023, 09:41 PM
I bought one yesterday, Really nice gun. Haven't fired it yet but feeds semi wadcutters in 38 and 357 no problems. I had 2 of the jm marlins and they would not feed them. Ruger did a great job on this one.

Sig556r
12-18-2023, 03:02 AM
I think Ruger is doing a lot better job in keeping the legacy

BFJ
12-18-2023, 12:16 PM
Very good post. Thanks

Kosh75287
12-18-2023, 02:06 PM
OP, if you're a reloader, you should be able to find the particular load that gets the best accuracy and ballistic performance out of your rifle.

FergusonTO35
12-19-2023, 09:31 AM
Awesome! Love my '82 model and will never part with it.

Rapier
12-19-2023, 10:12 AM
Good to hear of a pleased buyer in todays market. By the way, Jard Triggers makes a new trigger and lever for Marlins if you need an improvement.

georgerkahn
12-19-2023, 12:24 PM
This will be my third Marlin 1894 I have owned since 2007. The first was a used JM I bought in Arizona for $400. Chambered in .357 Mag, it was supposed to be a working rifle when I lived out in the boonies. I had javelina terrorizing my lawn and dogs, and a cougar in the area going after the javelina. But it was just too nice to have bouncing around on an ATV or thrown in the Jeep.

I got divorced a few years later and sold it for $1200 to some lawyer in SF wanting to play cowboy. It paid for my move from Arizona to Idaho.

The second one was a new Remington made 1894 in .45 Colt bought in 2015. It was supposed to be a camp carbine for the Idaho woods. I bought it online for $750 and was very disappointed when it arrived. It was like a cheap imitation of my JM 1894. The checkering was crude, the action was awful, fit and finish was subpar, and it would not reliably function. I joined a Marlin forum to try and figure out how to get it to run, and it never did. I sold it for $700 a year or so later.

Today's purchase was a total impulse buy. I have long since replaced the 1894 with a Henry Black rifle in .45 Colt as a camp/hiking/ATV carbine and it is awesome! Great rifle!

But today while visiting the local gun shop on my birthday, I spotted one of the new Ruger-made 1894s in .357 Mag. I inspected it and it was much, much better than the Remington-made 1894 in terms of finish and wood to metal fit. The checkering was much better, and it just seemed like a nicer rifle overall. Still not as nice as my JM 1894, but getting closer. The price was $959, which was less than most are going for online. With my military discount and birthday gift card, I paid $946 total for the rifle and a box of ammo, including taxes.

I'm planning on shooting it tomorrow and praying that it functions better than the Remlin.

Happy birthday!!! I bought a Marlin Model 1894 .357 Mag. Carbine S/n 21,049,xxx (1979) in which I put a Bushnell Banner 4x Scope, and it was not a bad rifle -- until I foolishly tried running some .38 S&W Specials through it! Such a jam I had to take it to a gunsmith, who strongly advised against ever trying .38 S&W Specials in it in future -- unless ;) I want another jam!. This bugged me, to say the least. So.... I acquired a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited Model 1894CB; .38 Special/.357Mag; S/n 03028xxx on which I put a Leupold FX-II 4X x 33 scope on.
It surely is not "heaven" -- but it is perhaps as close as I'll ever get! The action is butter-smooth; and I can choose ammo (velocity & noise as concerns) as I elect, with no worries re function or getting precisely on target.
I do hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine!
geo

FergusonTO35
12-19-2023, 02:16 PM
Happy birthday!!! I bought a Marlin Model 1894 .357 Mag. Carbine S/n 21,049,xxx (1979) in which I put a Bushnell Banner 4x Scope, and it was not a bad rifle -- until I foolishly tried running some .38 S&W Specials through it! Such a jam I had to take it to a gunsmith, who strongly advised against ever trying .38 S&W Specials in it in future -- unless ;) I want another jam!. This bugged me, to say the least. So.... I acquired a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Limited Model 1894CB; .38 Special/.357Mag; S/n 03028xxx on which I put a Leupold FX-II 4X x 33 scope on.
It surely is not "heaven" -- but it is perhaps as close as I'll ever get! The action is butter-smooth; and I can choose ammo (velocity & noise as concerns) as I elect, with no worries re function or getting precisely on target.
I do hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine!
geo

Strange, my '82 model eats .38 all day long.

uscra112
12-19-2023, 03:38 PM
Just my luck that there's a finally new Marlin in .357 for sale now that I'm too old and decrepit to enjoy one.

Congrats on your purchase! Enjoy it a little extra for me!

dverna
12-19-2023, 03:52 PM
George,
The "secret" to getting .38 Spl to work in some 1894's is to seat the bullet out a bit further. I have never had an issue with either of my Marlins running 1.54 COL.

They had to run fast to be competitive in CAS. I could get off 10 shots in 5-6 seconds. The really good guys were about 3 seconds. This with "tuned" 1894's.

Edited to add:
I was getting ten shot 1" groups at 30 yards with "mouse phart" loads. I need to see how the gun shoots at longer range with .38+P loads once the weather gets better. Surprised the gun reviewed did not do better. I would not be a happy with 3" groups at 50 yards from a $1000 gun.

pdgoutdoors
12-19-2023, 10:52 PM
Congrats on the new Ruglin! I purchased my first Marlin back in October, a JM 1894 cowboy limited in 45 colt. It indeed is a rifle that will be with me until the day I die.

georgerkahn
12-20-2023, 07:56 AM
Strange, my '82 model eats .38 all day long.

FergusonTO35 -- I "hear you" -- as I have through the years, heard this from others. What I've heard, too, is that this was a known problem to Marlin, which was remedied in 1980 or 1981. This is why I included the serial number of mine. It shoots .357 Magnum rounds "all day long" with nary a hitch, but the action in early models really is a jam-o-matic if .38 S&W Special cartridges are loaded! The SASS writes, "The old Marlin rifle jam shooting 38's in a 357", if you wish to Google this article. Also, there's an interesting YouTube re it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEwTgM5pcuE which is titled, "Field Clearing The Dreaded Marlin Lever Gun Carrier Jam. The problem is if/when shorter-than-.357 Magnum COL cartridges are attempted, and Marlin's "solution" is to load .38 S&W Special to .357 Magnum overall cartridge lengths. :(
Me? As I wrote, I purchased the Cowboy Version 1894 .357 which marvelously functions using anything I've tried -- including :) .38 S&W Specials.
The OP on this thread is fortunate that his -- and, apparently yours :) -- do not have this malady!
geo

georgerkahn
12-20-2023, 09:20 AM
George,
The "secret" to getting .38 Spl to work in some 1894's is to seat the bullet out a bit further. I have never had an issue with either of my Marlins running 1.54 COL.

They had to run fast to be competitive in CAS. I could get off 10 shots in 5-6 seconds. The really good guys were about 3 seconds. This with "tuned" 1894's.

Edited to add:
I was getting ten shot 1" groups at 30 yards with "mouse phart" loads. I need to see how the gun shoots at longer range with .38+P loads once the weather gets better. Surprised the gun reviewed did not do better. I would not be a happy with 3" groups at 50 yards from a $1000 gun.

Don -- In my youth the Rifleman t.v. show was one of my favourites, with Chuck Conners using either of two 1892 Winchesters in its filming (and a Spanish-made clone for stunt-work) each having a small machine bolt running through a tapped and threaded hope in the lever which enabled -- with proper adjustment -- this screw's tip to move the trigger sufficiently to fire off another shot simply by totally closing the lever! 321181
Your post made me wonder -- are such modifications "legal" in CAS? (I kind of always wanted to drill/tap one of mine, but...)
geo

Bazoo
12-20-2023, 09:44 AM
Congratulations and happy birthday! It looks darn nice in the pics. I’ve yet to handle one in person, but it looks good.

I know that Turnbull does a lot of Rugers. I bet they’ll get ahold of some, that ought to be interesting.

5090SS
12-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Looks like you have a great rifle.
I am wanting a .357 lever action as well, so why get the Marlin over a Henry or one of the Italian rifles?
Not wanting to stir up anything just looking for advice.

pworley1
12-20-2023, 01:24 PM
Congratulations on the new rifle. Happy Birthday!

dverna
12-20-2023, 02:07 PM
Don -- In my youth the Rifleman t.v. show was one of my favourites, with Chuck Conners using either of two 1892 Winchesters in its filming (and a Spanish-made clone for stunt-work) each having a small machine bolt running through a tapped and threaded hope in the lever which enabled -- with proper adjustment -- this screw's tip to move the trigger sufficiently to fire off another shot simply by totally closing the lever! 321181
Your post made me wonder -- are such modifications "legal" in CAS? (I kind of always wanted to drill/tap one of mine, but...)
geo

I am pretty sure such a modification would not be legal for CAS

pdgoutdoors
12-20-2023, 10:01 PM
Looks like you have a great rifle.
I am wanting a .357 lever action as well, so why get the Marlin over a Henry or one of the Italian rifles?
Not wanting to stir up anything just looking for advice.

The Henrys are a very nice gun. But, as someone who has had both, a JM Marlin is smoother and seems to have overall better craftsman ship. That being said, a Henry is much nicer than a Remlin or Rossi in my opinion. Then again, whatever makes you happy and is what you can afford is the best gun for you.

Idaho45guy
12-20-2023, 11:43 PM
I bought it simply because I was impressed by the increased quality over the Remlins and wanted to see if it ran as good as it looked. I had no need for a lever gun in .357 mag. If I did, I would have looked at Henry first.

GregLaROCHE
12-21-2023, 06:17 AM
Happy birthday and good to hear that quality lever actions may be back on the market.

smkummer
12-21-2023, 08:05 AM
I’ve got one of the last micro groove Marlin 1894CS made in the mid 90’s. I would have preferred Ballard rifling as I shoot 98% cast bullets through it but it’s been working just fine with lees micro groove cast bullets water hardened with WW alloy. As long as my COL is 1.4 or longer, the rifle cycles 38 special just fine. Lees cowboy bullet in either 125 or 158 cycles fine and that how the 18.5 “ barrel will hold 10 38 special for CASS.
Everyone needs one rifle that is just plane fun to shoot and will do just about anything from squirrels to deer. Ranch rifle to home defense. Cowboy action and be competitive with it as well. Oh, and cheap as heck to shoot especially if you’re a reloader.

billmc2
12-23-2023, 03:58 AM
geo

Whether this would work with a real rifle I have no idea. As a kid I had a toy setup, revolver and rifle. On the lever, in approximately same location as shown in your picture, was a little triangular shaped lever with straddled the rifles lever. Folded down, it was against the rifle's lever and out of the way, it would fire normally. You could lift the triangled lever up and it would catch the trigger when the rifle's lever was operated, so you could shoot it just like Lucas McCain did.

murf205
12-23-2023, 05:16 PM
I noticed you shooting the rifle with the magazine tube resting on the bags also. with the barrel band tied to the mag tube, you are putting some pressure on the barrel. I'll bet you a beer that this rifle will shoot better with the forearm cradled in your hand and resting that hand on the bag. I wish they would make a short magazine model like the old model 30 Glenfield/Marlins. My 1895 Marlin CB shot all together differently with a magazine full of 45/70's than it did with 3 or 4 in the mag. They don't have any magazine hardware hanging from the barrel and shoot VERY accurately. The 1894's just wouldn't look as cowboyish that way but that would get me buying one pronto. After all that, it is a puuurty rifle and I think you will get it shooting better soon. Congrats.

Idaho45guy
12-24-2023, 07:32 AM
I noticed you shooting the rifle with the magazine tube resting on the bags also. with the barrel band tied to the mag tube, you are putting some pressure on the barrel. I'll bet you a beer that this rifle will shoot better with the forearm cradled in your hand and resting that hand on the bag.

With the current configuration of my dad's shooting bench, I often have issues with resting the barrel on the bags, rather than the stock. I am skeptical of just how much of a difference that resting the barrel vs. the forearm on a rifle with open sights and an 18.6" barrel really makes. With larger rifles and going for accuracy, I am sure to rest on the fore end and not the barrel. But with a pistol caliber lever-action, how much difference is there really going to be?

I should do a comparison video in the interest of science.

AnthonyB
12-24-2023, 10:53 AM
I you really want to see how that rifle will shoot, remove the forearm/barrel band/mag tube and rest the action on the bag. If that sounds like too much work, rest the action on the bag and hold the forearm with your support side hand. That is the best bench position for my lever guns.
Tony

shovelhead96
01-06-2024, 11:50 AM
Strange, my '82 model eats .38 all day long.Mine does too.

.45colt
01-06-2024, 05:20 PM
I have six JM Marlins. I was at a gun shop today and they had a new Marlin/Ruger .357 on the rack. I was blown away with the quality of it. excellent fit and finish. they had $1299.00 on it so I wasn't buying from them today. but it was hard to walk away!

Jtarm
01-09-2024, 01:30 PM
Glad to hear it.

I’ve been contemplating a .44 mag to complement my .44 revolvers.

1895gunner
01-10-2024, 05:36 PM
Happy belated birthday! I just did a review on the new 1894 in .38Spl/.357Mag and I really like it. After scoping this rifle I was able to get some pretty decent groupings across several different loads between .38 special & .357 magnum at fifty yards. I never did slug the barrel however it liked cast bullets a lot. I had the same experience when testing the new .44 magnum 1894. I think Ruger has done a very nice job in bringing back the Marlin brand. Compared to the several JM 1894's I've had over the years I'd safely say that the new ones run as nice as my earlier models. Thanks for posting your range review video!

Gohon
01-29-2024, 09:12 PM
first Ruglin last week

Come on folks...didn't we get enough of that gibberish with the Remington made Marlins. These are simply Marlins made by Ruger. They are still Marlin Rifles no matter who produces them.

uscra112
01-30-2024, 12:14 AM
Ballards were still Ballards when John Marlin produced them; we call them Marlin-Ballards today.

missionary5155
01-30-2024, 08:02 AM
Well written uscra112 !
Happens with all firearms as they get "moved, bought out, and restarted".

smkummer
01-31-2024, 08:45 AM
Glad to hear it.

I’ve been contemplating a .44 mag to complement my .44 revolvers.
That was my first Marlin bought in the 70’s. I still have it. It was a deer killer then and now lastly a cowboy action gun. Full power 44 mag. in the rifle feels about like shooting 30-30. Meaning easy on the shoulder and shooter. Of course being a reloader and bullet caster means that full power loads are seldom ever shot. My Marlin collection has expanded since then and currently my finest plinker is my 1894C in 357. Loading 44 mag. down to 44 special levels turns it into a plinker as well. If you get one, I have extra brass to sell.

elmacgyver0
01-31-2024, 09:16 AM
I like to give my lever actions a Horse Poop and Gunsmoke action job.
It did wonders for my Chinese PW87 shotgun, a semi-clone of a Winchester 1887 lever action shotgun.
The shotgun would rarely feed and eject two shells in a row, now it rarely hangs up feeding all seven shells.

missionary5155
01-31-2024, 12:10 PM
That is an interesting name for a shop !

Idaho45guy
02-18-2024, 12:51 AM
Come on folks...didn't we get enough of that gibberish with the Remington made Marlins. These are simply Marlins made by Ruger. They are still Marlin Rifles no matter who produces them.

It's not gibberish. Marlins were simply Marlins until they were bought out by Remington and the quality went down. Significant difference in quality between a Remington-produced Marlin rifle and an original. Which is why the term "Remlin" was coined. It was needed to distinguish between the older and higher quality rifles and the new ones.

Same with these new Ruger produced Marlin rifles. "Ruglin" is a term used to describe a Marlin rifle built by Ruger. It's descriptive and it is needed. IMHO, the new Ruger-produced rifles are a huge step up in quality over the older Remington-produced rifles, but still not quite as nice as the older Marlin rifles.

BTW, I returned to the range today with some reloads and better optics and got the little carbine to do just over an inch at 55yds, which is just fine in my book for a pistol-caliber lever action.

New video was produced...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSFI5AbPTwU

45-70marlin
02-18-2024, 09:59 PM
I have had 3 1894 Marlins in 357 in the past. I bought a new one in 357 and it shoots great and I think the fit and finish is as good or better than the old ones. The new ones are really well built.

r80rt
02-19-2024, 07:48 AM
I bought two of the new 1894 .357's, they are better rifles than the old JM's I've had.

dverna
02-19-2024, 10:37 AM
Nice seeing the groups tightening up. Looking forward to your next range session.

BTW, 1.5-2" groups with a carbine are acceptable at 50 yards IMO. Looks like you are there and might do better with more load development.

Hickok
02-19-2024, 10:48 AM
I have one of the new Marljn/Rugers in .44 magnum. It is excellent,... .430" at the grooves and it feeds Lyman #429421 seated to the crimp just like Elmer designed it to be used!

Bazoo
02-19-2024, 03:38 PM
I have one of the new Marljn/Rugers in .44 magnum. It is excellent,... .430" at the grooves and it feeds Lyman #429421 seated to the crimp just like Elmer designed it to be used!

Thanks for sharing that info. I'm glad to hear it will feed the Keith bullets and that the groove dimension is reasonable. I wouldn't mind finding one myself.

dverna
02-19-2024, 04:08 PM
Has anyone seen gun rag tests on these? I stopped subscribing years ago but would be interested in seeing reports. So far, the OP is the only report I have seen and at least he showed the good and not so good.

elmacgyver0
02-19-2024, 04:21 PM
Enjoyed your video, nice rifle.
I love your dog, reminds me of my last dog.
I can tell he is watching out for you, protecting you from those vicious mice.

FergusonTO35
02-21-2024, 05:19 PM
I noticed you shooting the rifle with the magazine tube resting on the bags also. with the barrel band tied to the mag tube, you are putting some pressure on the barrel. I'll bet you a beer that this rifle will shoot better with the forearm cradled in your hand and resting that hand on the bag. I wish they would make a short magazine model like the old model 30 Glenfield/Marlins. My 1895 Marlin CB shot all together differently with a magazine full of 45/70's than it did with 3 or 4 in the mag. They don't have any magazine hardware hanging from the barrel and shoot VERY accurately. The 1894's just wouldn't look as cowboyish that way but that would get me buying one pronto. After all that, it is a puuurty rifle and I think you will get it shooting better soon. Congrats.

The Glenfield 30 is a real sleeper. Mine will keep up with most bolt actions at 100 yards with it's favorite load. I think the half mag tube is handsome and shaves a bit of bulk and weight.

Idaho45guy
02-21-2024, 09:28 PM
Enjoyed your video, nice rifle.
I love your dog, reminds me of my last dog.
I can tell he is watching out for you, protecting you from those vicious mice.

Thanks! Arlo is always on patrol!