PDA

View Full Version : Attempted pan lubing , no clue what I was doing

Wolfdog91
12-14-2023, 01:05 PM
With basically no clue what I was doing [emoji1787] I mean I saw a video and read a few articles before but that's about it. But always seem simple enough
Yeah threw three sticks of white label 2500 lube in a lil $10 crock pot I bought let them melt down . Then stood some bullets up in a little candy tin and used a turkey baster to transfer the luber over and fill it up to the top driving bad. Let them cool and I just plucked them out but wiggling then a little. Then just gas checked and sized them like normal. Think I did this semi correctly. It is a little messy but pretty easy imo. Tried using a 357 case as a cutter but that dint work out too well [emoji28]
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231214/87a1b4f106a8c318482cfe77220fb56c.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231214/7322b57a80dbe550fa4a3837b0a6e2bf.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231214/3f48ca8cba3d37ca079c0d037a23e14e.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231214/99f1f1ee88287798eb96e1168ff012c7.jpghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231214/88f2f495aac9f493d971c9795911f158.jpg

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Sasquatch-1
12-14-2023, 01:14 PM
They look good to me. Next time try putting them in the freezer for a little while.

dondiego
12-14-2023, 01:47 PM
If your bullets are 30 caliber try using an 8MM or 32 cal case to cut them out.

cwtebay
12-14-2023, 09:14 PM
Looks pretty darn good to me!
Well done!!!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
12-14-2023, 11:14 PM
Ahhh,,, welcome home.

I thought you'd gotten tricked into that powder coating fad.:bigsmyl2:

Minerat
12-14-2023, 11:22 PM
Looks like you got it. Next time you go to do some put them in the holes and used a heat gun to melt the lube again. I do this most of the time just adding more lube as needed.

Heres a link on kake cutters too.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?128960-Kake-Cutter-Photos

lar45
12-14-2023, 11:23 PM
Looks great to me

Bazoo
12-14-2023, 11:27 PM
Nice looking bullets.

When I pan lube, I use a round cake pan. To start, I'll stand the bullets up and pour melted lube over them. Pop them in the oven on 200 for about 15-20 minutes. The purpose is to heat the bullets. Then when they come out I let them cool to almost room temperature, and the "cake" of lube and bullets will pop right out. Then you can push the bullets out of the lube. Put the cake back in the tin, stand more bullets in the holes, repeat.

Heating the bullets helps the lube to stay in the grooves. I never found the need to use a cake cutter, though I've experimented with one.

45workhorse
12-15-2023, 12:24 AM

Drill the primer pocket out so you can push the boolit out.

cwtebay
12-15-2023, 12:32 AM
My wife watched me doing this and gifted me her old spring form pan. Game changer. I set them all up and pour in the lube. Let it harden and pop the rim off of the pan. The bullets push right out, put the pan back together and lather - rinse - repeat.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

405grain
12-15-2023, 01:05 AM
Look at the gas check shanks in the photo. It looks like the gas checks are at different heights. Is that just the picture or is something going on?

Digital Dan
12-15-2023, 09:03 AM
Suggestions: Use a flat bottom pie pan with a smooth layer of aluminum foil on the bottom and sides. After the lube congeals put it in the 'fridge for about 30 minutes. Remove from pie pan, peel off foil, and push the bullets downward onto a towel.

Larry Gibson
12-15-2023, 09:10 AM

Try a fired steel 7.62x54R case. See if will just slip over the bullets. If so, use a case mouth chamfer tool to sharpen the case mouth. Drill out the primer with a bit larger than the bullet to let the bullets drop out. The rim still provides comfort to the hand. Make an excellent 'cake cutter".

charlie b
12-15-2023, 11:17 AM
I used a .30-06 case and cut out one side of it for bullets to drop out. Fired case, camfer inside.

dondiego
12-15-2023, 11:33 AM
I used a .30-06 case and cut out one side of it for bullets to drop out. Fired case, camfer inside.

I used to just hacksaw the case head off and let the bullets push themselves out like a LEE push through sizer.

Dusty Bannister
12-15-2023, 01:27 PM
405grain mentioned it, but the OP has not replied. I had mentioned it in a PM last night. It does look like there is a large gap between the gas check and the bottom driving band on a few of those bullets. Perhaps someone can say for sure, but I would think that when fired in a rifle, the check would press the grease before the bullet moved and could create an issue in the throat of the rifle. Heck of a place to ring a barrel.

Driver man
12-15-2023, 01:33 PM
gas checks aren't seated uniformly

JSnover
12-16-2023, 09:45 AM
Dip lube. Get the lube melted and dip the boolits in, set them off onto a paper towel to cool. You'll have a lot more lube on the bottom end of your sizing die as you process them but it's a LOT quicker than letting them sit in the pan to cool, etc.

1Hawkeye
12-16-2023, 10:45 AM
You've done well pilgrim. Before installing the gas checks wipe the bullet base to make sure there is no lube on it that way your checks should be uniformly installed.

nicholst55
12-16-2023, 10:58 AM
BTDT. Once the lube melts and your bullets are in place, turn off the heat and allow everything to cool. Place the pan in the freezer for a couple of hours, and then take it out. The entire cake of lube and bullets should be easy to separate from the pan then. Wearing leather gloves (to protect your fingers), press the bullets out from the bottom of the lube cake. Put the lube cake back in the pan and fill the empty holes with fresh, unlubed bullets, and repeat.

A pie pan (NOT a cake pan - pie pans are tapered at the bottom, which you want) from Walmart or the Thrift Store will be easier to use than what you currently have.

WILCO
12-16-2023, 11:04 AM
Great job!!!!!!!!!

ascast
12-16-2023, 11:19 AM
put your gas checks on first - use a fired case that will slip fit over the boolit as cutter - cut off case head and attach plastic tubing, this allows you cut several (many) before emptying the tube, you may have to shop around for the right tubing, hardware, auto parts etc. I used big film cans in a old fry pan with boiling water in it. I always had a fixed temp on the lube melt. I could lift out the "done" pan and set it on a towel with crushed ice. Put another in the pan to melt. It all seemed to work well.

parkerhale1200
12-16-2023, 01:32 PM
What i do:
For every caliber i shoot/cast i have a case that was fired and i cut of the bottom.
I take a round DRY stick/piece of wood and cut a hole a 0.1mm bigger than the outside of the boolit.
I drill all the way thru.
Then i take a drill that is 0.1mm smaller than the case and i drill 50% on the way thru.
So you can push all your lubed boolits thru.

What i also do/use is a oven plate and some small pans/cans.
I place the naked boolits in the plate cans and then i warm it up, slowly.
So the heat will also soak into the boolit.

Now this something most people wont understand:
The boolits hardness will settle again after THREE months.
So if you have a favorite lead recipe it will return to it hardness, really.

after the grease/vet whatever, is finally molten (due to the mass of the boolits)(means a flat shiny mirror image on the surface of the vet)
The vet/grease and the boolit are at equal temps, now this is very important!

now you want to shoot the next hour? yes put it in the freezer...
I dont like any boolit that had some heat in the last three months....
Sooo see them tomorrow, before cutting them, patience will bring so much more and can do so much more.

After hardening the vet/grease you can cake cut them out, with a case as i described.
After this you can run them in a adapted lube a sizer of what ever brand.
I make use for my revolvers a arbor press which i also use for gascheck making.
I just drill a hole to accommodate the sizer and a another hole to let the boolit thru.

Yes this was a speeding up in my progress! for my parkerhale1200 (1945) i still use single stroke vet press and not pan lubing.
And a custom-made boolit mould)

I hope this rambling is giving you some food for your thought and i hope my English was clear enough.

With best and kind regards Igor

Super Sneaky Steve
12-16-2023, 03:36 PM
Dip lube. Get the lube melted and dip the boolits in, set them off onto a paper towel to cool. You'll have a lot more lube on the bottom end of your sizing die as you process them but it's a LOT quicker than letting them sit in the pan to cool, etc.

This is what I was going to suggest. When you have small lube groves it works well. If you don't want excess lube put the boolits on a hot plate first. When they are good and hot excess lube will fall off. Just wipe the base before it cools and you'll have no mess.

firefly1957
12-17-2023, 09:51 AM
I use a small frying pan heating it slowly at low on a Coleman stove I cast bullets with . I have a brass fitting I drilled out to cut the bullets out with .

I have made a couple steel cookie cutters it is possible to size a lead alloy bullet .001 or .002 inches with hand pressure but the sizing area needs to be short and best near the bottom of cutter . I also use home brew lubes there is a area for those on castboolits the hard part is picking one!