PDA

View Full Version : Lee magnum melter

jss227
12-14-2023, 11:52 AM
I use a medium sized cast pot on an electric burner for casting. When I am done, if I am going to change my lead composition, I let it cool and just dump what's in the pot. Out comes a nice solid chunk that I put with like mixed alloy. Can I do that with the Lee Magnum melter? Or do I have to keep it hot, and pick up the unit and pour it out into a mold?

Mk42gunner
12-14-2023, 06:37 PM
Don't know. I filled my Magnum Melter with wheel weight ingots when I got it, and have not changed alloys in that pot yet.

I'd almost put money on having to pour hot alloy into ingot molds though.

Robert

Winger Ed.
12-14-2023, 07:04 PM
I'd get it kind of low, then pour out what's left into a ingot mold.

GhostHawk
12-14-2023, 10:00 PM
I use a larger closed ladle to empty mine if I really want to change alloy's significantly.

But I very seldom bother. Pour until the ladle is scraping bottom and add fresh as needed to make my new mix.

Mostly I run roughly 50% COWW, 50% soft lead, either range scrap, stick on wheel weights, water pipe, whatever is handy and soft.
To that I commonly add a bit of pewter for the tin. Not a whole lot but some.

I have some muffin tin Pewter "Coins" that I poured, if I need a harder alloy for rifle I'll add one of those, maybe some lino.

Bazoo
12-14-2023, 10:38 PM
I use a Magnum Melter, no you cannot dump the solidified alloy out. The sides of the pot are parallel. When I change alloy, I ladle out the majority of the alloy and then, with gloves, dump the last inch or so into my ingot moulds.

jss227
12-15-2023, 04:55 PM
Thanks all.