PDA

View Full Version : Addiction sign #1: 5 gal pail in the car

ghh3rd
02-16-2009, 01:34 AM
I haven't been into casting for long, but have taken the first step and admitted that I am powerless over lead.

I carry a 5 gal pail tied down in the pick up truck bed, and have a couple in the trunk of the car, just in case.

My vehicle seems to have a mind of it's own and makes sudden turns into parking lots of businesses that are know to have lead.

I have cast boolits after my wife has gone to bed, just so she won't notice this addiction (however, she is on to me).

I'm afraid I may come home to an intervention someday...

Anyone else have symptoms?

Randy

supv26
02-16-2009, 01:40 AM
I have a steel 5 gallon bucket in the trunk of my car!
I'm not addicted!
[smilie=1:

snaggdit
02-16-2009, 01:45 AM
Does the fact my wife has started calling me Boolit Man mean I might have a problem? The other day she asked me "Why do you need all these bullets?". I told her since I have lots of free time right now, why not do a whole season's worth? She bought it. I think she is an enabler:roll:

home in oz
02-16-2009, 01:49 AM
Mine says, "Why do you need all these bullets?" or "Why do you need all those guns?"

Must be a basic need carried in the DNA...

Slow Elk 45/70
02-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Yes, you have IT, and IT is addictive, intervention only makes the urges worse,
Trust me :Fire: I've had it for 40+ years, it only gets worse...good luck..S.L.45/70[smilie=1:

Bret4207
02-16-2009, 09:49 AM
Not only did I carry 5 gal buckets in my truck, I carried them in my work van to and stopped often to pick another 5 gal bucket up off the roadside. "Oh look, the fat old Trooper is cleaning up the roadsides! How thoughtful of him!" HAR! Little did they know my diabolical plan was proceeding nicely. I did stop short of removing WW from the trucks I was inspecting, but the thought did cross my mind.

I still find WW's that have been spilled around my yard. The kids are trained to pick them up, along with any nuts, bolts, nails they find. Little buggers are good at it.

redneckdan
02-16-2009, 10:44 AM
Not only did I carry 5 gal buckets in my truck, I carried them in my work van to and stopped often to pick another 5 gal bucket up off the roadside. "Oh look, the fat old Trooper is cleaning up the roadsides! How thoughtful of him!" HAR! Little did they know my diabolical plan was proceeding nicely. I did stop short of removing WW from the trucks I was inspecting, but the thought did cross my mind.

One day I was cruising down m-28 with my riding buddy at well over the legal limit. Next thing he knows I slam on the brakes, whip a u-turn and tear back east. He catches up to me and finds me standing in the middle of the road holding up a huge truck wheel weight, that sucker musta weighed a couple ounces. At that point he knew I was nutz....:Fire:

Boerrancher
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
My wife has gotten to the point that she will not let me drive anywhere, she does the driving. I can spot a WW laying on the pavement while driving at 60+ mph. I guess she got tired of my slamming on the breaks and pulling over in the ditch to jump out and pick them up. I still carry a five gal bucket in the back of the truck and have a good number of tire shops saving WWs for me once again now that the bottom has dropped out of the lead market.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

Three44s
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
You are not really addicted until you come home with "fives" ........ two by two!:roll:

Three 44s

mold maker
02-16-2009, 11:19 AM
One day I was cruising down m-28 with my riding buddy at well over the legal limit. Next thing he knows I slam on the brakes, whip a u-turn and tear back east. He catches up to me and finds me standing in the middle of the road holding up a huge truck wheel weight, that sucker musta weighed a couple ounces. At that point he knew I was nutz....:Fire:

Do you mean everybody doesn't do that. I thought that was the reason for the breaks in the median.
I once ran over an extension ladder, in my lane, (didn't see it) but I can spot a WW on the other side of the 4 lane. The ladder was useless, and I am addicted to even little wheel weights.

HABCAN
02-16-2009, 11:25 AM
Boyoboy, this thread sure makes me feel better!! I thought I was the only lead-prepper with buckets in his truck!

Charlie Sometimes
02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
I have driven 85 miles (one way) to a buddies house (who was moving cross country) to get his wheel weights before he left- he gave me 10 five gallon buckets full and I put them in the rear of the wife's Windstar. If I had not taken the family with me for counter ballast I would not have made it back home- the front wheels barely touched the road and I had lot's of play in the steering. Luckily, I had enough contact for forward motion, too. :roll:

Yes, it is a sickness. :twisted:
Starve a cold, feed a fever- FEED THE FEVER. :mrgreen:

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 12:02 PM
I purchased a small lot of 5gal buckets at the discount house and put my Name & Phone# on them with instructions to call when full.

Then all I do is swap out buckets when I go get my weights.

The Name & # makes a good reminder for the flunkies that it's not a trash bucket.

NSP64
02-16-2009, 07:55 PM
Its not an addiction, unless you hang out with others that have the same problems.[smilie=1:

NSP64
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
buddies he gave me 10 five gallon buckets
Starve a cold, feed a fever- FEED THE FEVER. :mrgreen:

That my friend is a great buddy:drinks:

Ole
02-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I went to Laughlin, NV over the weekend, and took the opportunity to scrounge at about 10 different tire shops. 8 of them said no, but 2 said yes :D.

I got these all for free.

http://mrpburke.com/fileupload/uploads/laughlinhaul.jpg

50lbs stick ons, 85lbs and 65lbs clip ons (after sorting).

Recluse
02-16-2009, 08:08 PM
Mine says, "Why do you need all these bullets?" or "Why do you need all those guns?"

My wife says, "When are you going to buy some more guns?" and "Will you reload me up some more of those fun loads for the little .38?" (She has several)

Couple of months ago, she asked me to get some stuff out of the trunk of her car--told me it was too heavy for her.

I went out, opened the trunk and found two five-gallon buckets half-full of wheel weights. A friend of hers is a shadetree mechanic and has his own little shop. He'd been collecting them for years and gave them to her.

Can't remember NOT having a five-gallon heavy-duty bucket in the back of my truck. . .

:coffee:

clodhopper
02-16-2009, 08:22 PM
I have been taking some coffee cans whenever I go to the range. My plan is to ALWAYS bring back more lead than I brought. There was several years there that need made up for.

Fire_stick
02-16-2009, 10:15 PM
I stopped at a tire shop last week about 140 miles from home, and found 2 - 5 gal buckets of ww's. The guy would not give them away and I was on a tight schedule with no cash, so I had to pass. I dreamed of those ww's all week and through the weekend. Today I found my way back to town and the ww's were still there. He remembered me and we talked and agreed on a price. About 500# of ww's are now safe and secure.

waksupi
02-17-2009, 12:41 AM
I stopped at a tire shop last week about 140 miles from home, and found 2 - 5 gal buckets of ww's. The guy would not give them away and I was on a tight schedule with no cash, so I had to pass. I dreamed of those ww's all week and through the weekend. Today I found my way back to town and the ww's were still there. He remembered me and we talked and agreed on a price. About 500# of ww's are now safe and secure.

How big are the five gallon buckets some of you get, that hold 250# of WW's? None I have ever seen will weigh that much, by about 100#.

Bigjohn
02-17-2009, 01:45 AM
I premenantly carry an extendable magnetic pick up tool, that way you don't get hit while collecting the lastest WW roadkill.

I once spent twenty minutes at one corner picking up the spilled WW's, had to dodge the traffic to get the stick on's tho.

I must get about half a bucket per year just watching the roadway a corners and roundabouts. Another good place is out the back of the local tyre shop; there is always a few that don't go on properly or are they having a joke at my expense? Seeding the road just to see if you spot them?

John

mike in co
02-17-2009, 02:14 AM
i currently do not shop for wheelweights, nor do i pick up road fodder.
i'm spoiled.
part of my BUSINESS is despossing of INDOOR RANGE LEAD, i just buy some when i need it( would you believe at one half of current scrap price),and i smelt lead for a trap shooter. he owns several tire stores. brings me the wws, i smelt, we split.

i'm selling 800 lbs of indoor range lead tommorrow....

life is good....sorry to hear about your additions...maladys...

mike in co

Bret4207
02-17-2009, 09:29 AM
How big are the five gallon buckets some of you get, that hold 250# of WW's? None I have ever seen will weigh that much, by about 100#.

They get them at the same place all those 300lb WT deer and 1000lb black bear come from!:mrgreen:

Fire_stick
02-17-2009, 11:00 AM
I guess I am going to have to weight my buckets to be sure what the actual weight is. The first bucket I picked up a few weeks ago was weighed on the scale at the station, and we read 285#. Now I will admit that we could have misread, maybe it was 185# instead, but it was heavy enough that I could not carry it very far with 2 hands. At the gym, I regulary use 2 85# dumbells for shrugs and the bucket seemed heavier than that by quite a bit. I will weigh that first bucket when I get back home.

You more experienced guys certainly know more than I do.

Old Ironsights
02-17-2009, 11:33 AM
THere are different sizes of "5gal" buckets too. The "5gal" Buckets I use at home for storage once held Washing Powder and hold close to 150#

My "trade" buckets hold about 110# but I keep them at around 80# for easier one-hand carry.

Beaverhunter2
02-17-2009, 11:09 PM

LOL When my wife asked me the same things (she added "traps" to the list) I told her, "Guns are to men what shoes are to women." Considering she doesn't make it much over a week or two without a new pair for her or my daughter, she got the hint. :-D

John

Charlie Sometimes
02-17-2009, 11:53 PM
5 gallon buckets can go easily over 300 lbs. I've never had access to a scale that can weigh them, but I've had some so heavy that the handles pulled right off of them when I tried to pick them up, and the bucket didn't budge.
Now, I am a BIG ol' boy, and have hoisted some of those bad babbies up into my pick up using TWO hands to lift after I get the edge of the bucket up and my hands under it. I can't find a scale that can weigh my big a** either, unless I go to the local vets office, or my doctor (there I gotta pay), but I go an easy 325 lb.
Those WW's that my buddy gave me- I ended up unloading them down to half, putting the buckets into the van, and then refilling them. I needed more buckets to spread the load out and make handling easier, especially after I got home (which I had). Talk about a tired puppy, when that day was through!

truckmsl
02-18-2009, 03:37 PM
My trunk always contains buckets, a camp shovel, and a mesh sifting screen in case I come across a potential lead berm, not to mention a miners-light head band in case I decide to do some night mining at the local pistol berm. I know. I've got it bad - but so much free lead, so little time.

snaggdit
02-18-2009, 04:44 PM
From my experience a full 5 gallon bucket will hold between 150 and 200#. If it is full of all small weights to eliminate air gaps it might push 225. My back isn't what it used to be. Loading a full 5 gallon bucket into my Jeep earns me a visit to my chiropractor. I prefer the 3.5 gallon buckets. Then I can move them around OK at around 100#. I also try and remember to wear my back brace...

wiljen
02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
If you've ever found yourself in a walmart parking lot with a bucket and a set of lineman's pliers, you might be a boolit nut.

If you've ever been watching a NASCAR race and wondered what size wheel weights they use, you might be a boolit nut.

If 90% or better of the items on your Christmas list can only be found at midway, midsouth, grafs, etc...

If you now have to buy a gun, because you have a mold and nothing to shoot them in.

Jump in any time guys...

sundog
02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
Wiljen, Item 4: If you now have to buy a gun, because you have a mold and nothing to shoot them in.

I ran one of the very early group buys years ago. 358009 Improved. Me? I ordered the 2 cav version.

Then, I built a rifle for it. Does that qualify?

high standard 40
02-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Monday I scored 3 buckets brim full of weights. Two 5 gal cans & a 7 gal can. Getting that 7 in the truck was a chore(wish I had a scale for that one). Had a couple gallons at home already. I smelted yesterday and the yield was 538 Lbs of ingots from the 19 gal.

snaggdit
02-18-2009, 11:58 PM
OK, just BPF a swager for 223. In my defense I have a AR lower on backorder. It probably won't be a complete rifle for 3 months (or more). I guess that qualifies... Looking for a .224 55gr mold... I was loading and casting for friends with 45 ACP. Finally just bought one myself. I figured if I was loading and casting for it, I might as well have one... As some may have noticed, I drove 232 miles for my last WW run. At least I don't stop for WW on the road yet... (I did pick some up in the parking lot at a few tire shops). OK, I admit it, I am addicted too!

kernal_panic
02-19-2009, 12:15 AM
i currently do not shop for wheelweights, nor do i pick up road fodder.
i'm spoiled.
part of my BUSINESS is despossing of INDOOR RANGE LEAD, i just buy some when i need it( would you believe at one half of current scrap price),and i smelt lead for a trap shooter. he owns several tire stores. brings me the wws, i smelt, we split.

i'm selling 800 lbs of indoor range lead tommorrow....

life is good....sorry to hear about your additions...maladys...

mike in co

man thats like a cokehead working in a processing lab!

Charlie Sometimes
02-21-2009, 10:31 PM
If 90% or better of the items on your Christmas list can only be found at midway, midsouth, grafs, etc...

Jump in any time guys...

My wife says I'm hard to buy for at Christmas because "I am so picky about what I want." :confused:

Duh- Gun Stuff! If I give her a list, it still don't work.

I just go buy it myself year around now- Santa is using my money anyway. :roll:

snaggdit
02-22-2009, 01:05 AM
My wife has given up. She tells me to buy my own presents. Sometimes we even wrap them... Unless I need them right away (and who doesn't want to play with new toys right away?).

WHITETAIL
02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
Recluse, you are blessed with a great partner!:castmine:

Charlie Sometimes
02-22-2009, 06:43 PM
If you've ever found yourself in a walmart parking lot with a bucket and a set of lineman's pliers, you might be a boolit nut.

Why use lineman's pliers?
Get those special pliers that the tire shop uses- it makes removing them faster (and don't forget a creaper, too)! :kidding: :D

FieldShunt
02-22-2009, 07:58 PM
A couple of my IDPA-shooting buddies are casters, and may well have the so-called "addiction" referred to here. Of course, I have no idea what in the world you all mean by that.
One is a chemical engineer and the other the head mechanic for a chain of lumberyards.
When things are too quiet around the range, I sneak up behind them and ask, "Can I have some of your wheelweights?"
Better than shooting off a snubnose .357!

Slow Elk 45/70
02-23-2009, 04:24 AM
[smilie=b: Wanna see a grown man cry? Come home some time and have the wiffie tell you the junker came by and she "got rid of all that junk" over by the shop!!!???

Mtman314
02-23-2009, 04:49 AM

It's to turn back the illegals when they get this far north with taking the southwest back.:Fire:

My other half has been glancing over my shoulder since I was rolling on this string. She says maybe I need to leave this site, since my nephew called me tonight and said unc I got two 5 gallon buckets of ww for ya. I'm in Montana and he's in Pennsylvania. LOL, his buddy is a long distance trucker who'll meet me. Of course the price is right. She thinks you guys might be influencing me. Naw, I can't see that happening. LOL