PDA

View Full Version : Powder prices and avalablity in your area?

Outer Rondacker
12-11-2023, 05:37 PM
I have seen powder going for over 68-74 dollars at local gun shops here. Worst off I can not find powder I am looking for. I found Unique for the first time in four years they want 74 dollars a pound. I found bullseye for 68 dollars a pound and feel this is kinda HIGH. Primers are 159.99 per 1000 at the local gun shop. I called around and some shops even want 25.99 per 100. Runnings has them for 9.99 a hundred as they split up the cases when they come in. They dont last long and rarely have much.

Is this the case everyplace or just here in NY? We are not blessed with places like Bass Pro or Cabela's. Walmart has not been able to sell ammo since 9/13/23 some kinda glitch in the computer system with the new back round checks in NY.

I fear things are only going to get worse.

Screwbolts
12-11-2023, 05:49 PM
americanreloading.com has MP 163 currently that they say is Maxam CSB 1 for something like 90 for 4 pounds shipped to you. They will ship to NYS

And IMHO things are defiantly going to get worse!

sukivel
12-11-2023, 06:01 PM
In the Tulsa area powder is $40-50 a lb, and primers are around $100 per thousand, if available.

Powder Valley online has lots of powder and some primers available at good prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Screwbolts
12-11-2023, 06:05 PM
American reloading also has good prices on primers, and their price includes shipping and hazmat.

at least I am adding to my post count, lol

atfsux
12-11-2023, 06:20 PM
Your problem there makes mine seem like nothing at all. Pre-pandemic, I was paying about $28-$33 per pound for powder. As powder recently became available again in the last 18 months, I've been disappointed to be paying $35-$40. But suddenly this holiday season, I'm now seeing those same powders for $40-$50 per 1 lb. canister. The new Scheels that had their grand opening here was proudly displaying their powder for $50 in some cases, and that is supposedly their hot prices to celebrate their entering the Phoenix market and attempt to impress (which has failed miserably, at least with me).

I've recently been hunting the local digital classifieds for fellows in financial distress who are needing to dispose of everything just to make house payments. I don't like being a vulture,...but somebody's gonna buy that stuff, and it might as well be me. I've picked up more 4 lbs. and 8lbs. jugs and kegs in the last 6 months than I ever expected to, and am now sitting on a pretty valuable horde. Same with primers. That's one of the privileges of cashing out retirement funds is having cash on hand to take advantage of other people's misery and misfortune and get their surplus at a steep discount. For once in my life, I'm winning.

Mr Peabody
12-11-2023, 06:20 PM
Accurate brand is $35-40 a lb, Alliant and Hodgdon are $55-70 a lb. Small primers, rifle or pistol $59.99 a thousand. Large rifle and domestic 209's are pretty much a no show

Outer Rondacker
12-11-2023, 06:44 PM
Screw bolts I used to use American Reloading all the time. Ever since they moved things are not going well with them. I have order primers from them this morning for a decent price. Small pistol. I am in need of large rifle and large pistol. Last time I got powder from them it showed up without a label. Thanks for the heads up.

M Peabody them some good prices for primers in your area. Heck your powder prices are pretty good too.

I have to dive deeper into the online world and stock up I guess.

atr
12-11-2023, 07:31 PM
yes cost of primers and powder have gone up here too (eastern and western WA). I used to pay $15 / lb for powder and now it is close to $40, when its available, which isn't always. Unique I have not seen in 4 years. Primers likewise are more expensive,,,$110. per thousand, again when you can find them and large rifle primers have not been around for several years.

pdgoutdoors
12-11-2023, 09:48 PM
Here powder averages 30-50 a lb depending on the powder (29.99 for TG, 52.99 for Varget). Primers are around 80-90 a brick. Hearing your prices makes me feel very blessed.

Bad Ass Wallace
12-11-2023, 10:58 PM
$180/kg for Wano black powder here!

stubshaft
12-12-2023, 03:51 AM
Most powder is running at $48.00@ pound with some exceptions like Varget which sells for $68.00@ pound. Primers are still $169.00 a thousand with NO LARGE RIFLE being available for the past 4 years.

Outer Rondacker
12-12-2023, 08:01 AM
$180/kg for Wano black powder here!
NONE of the gun shops within driving distance sell black powder none. Driving distance is around 2 hours in all directions.

Most powder is running at $48.00@ pound with some exceptions like Varget which sells for $68.00@ pound. Primers are still $169.00 a thousand with NO LARGE RIFLE being available for the past 4 years.
So what your telling me is I should suck it up and buy the one box of CCI 200 Large Rifle Primers for 159.99 per 1k.

Rapier
12-12-2023, 08:31 AM
I love to read the posts advising folks to get an XYZ magnum, that requires a LR mag primer, now go and try to find the components just to load those magnums.

MrWolf
12-12-2023, 08:53 AM
Natchez has free hazmat today over I think $99 and they had some primers in stock when I looked. Good luck.
Ron

Slugster
12-12-2023, 10:25 AM
In my neck of the woods powder is running about 36.00 to 55.00. Primers are 65.00 to 89.00 per thou. Powder is looking good on the store shelves with a really nice selection. Picked up 2000 Federal large rifle primers and 2000 small pistol primers back when they had first come available after a long drought. 400.00 for 4000 primers really hurt, but you have to do what you have to do.
I was an 01 FFL when the Clinton scare was in full effect, and was able to score 20,000 of each type of primer. LPP, SPP, LRP, & SRP. Still using some of them, but that don't stop me from stocking up when I can.

20:1
12-12-2023, 11:17 AM
It seems pretty consistent here with what others are reporting. Accurate & Ramshot are the lower priced powders here, and that suits me just fine. Alliant is pretty much unobtainable at all, and Hodgdon is mixed availability with erratic pricing. I looked at Powder Valley for Alliant, and they do have some Alliant, but at $50.00/lb I'll leave it for others. Primers are available, but expect a premium price for any type of large primer. We really only have one reloading source in a town of over 300,000. Bullets just went up again, we're seeing prices around $25-$30.00 for Hornady pistol bullets and the only alternatives are the plated stuff, or what I make. Practically nothing is available for casting supplies locally, and shotshell components are through the roof.

Jungle Dave
12-12-2023, 05:25 PM
Brass for the big-bores is still non-existent, and I don't even think they are trying to produce any at all, which, after 3 whole years, is making me wonder about these companies. There is a point, after that much time, when the excuses one hears no longer hold water. I was finished with Hornady last year, finito. They introduce new, and then drop it. Then, if they do produce, they raise the price 2-fold. I'd rather buy Prvi Partizan, at least they are consistent, not to mention, better in many respects. Maybe they could pick up on some things larger than 9.3 or .375.
Thankfully, I have enough powder, and I did not panic buy it, it's years old, but enough to last a while. It's the brass that seems to be a mystery. Plenty of brass available for the mouse rifles and the new whatever-hammers and blackouts they put the neon labels on that blind you, but brass for cartridges that have earned the title 10 times over, oh no....

gypsyman
12-12-2023, 06:15 PM
Price's around here,(NWOhio) have come down some, not much. Primers run around $85/1000 for rifle or pistol. Not sure what shotgun primers run, don't reload for that. Powder, anywhere from $40 to $50 per lb. Maybe, they might drop some more, depends on the hoarders! People quit buying stuff up and doubling the price, these company's might loosen up. Talked with one guy at a gun show couple years ago. Buying everything he could, put then on sale on a website for twice what he had paid. Company's aren't stupid. Some schmuck making twice what they do, their going to slowdown production and raise the price to make more money too!

fiberoptik
12-12-2023, 07:26 PM
At the Jacksonville Fl. gun show there were two guys selling reloading stuff. 1 had B. P. —$40/lb. subs included. Power was $50-70+! I saw some lg. rifle Mag. primers, & small pistol/rifle primers; no large regular primers or lg. pistol primers. 1 can of #11 caps—$22! While I thought about it it walked. Didn’t look pricing for brass/ammo, except for CCI Minimags (.22 lr.)$18-22/100! I only brought home knives [emoji380].

labradigger1
12-12-2023, 08:08 PM
Man i’d love a couple pounds of vihtavouri N160 from natchez while they have free hazmat. Cat afford 3#’s or the 8 pounder to meet the minimum of $99 for free shipping. Seems no stores near me stock vv powder.

Randy Bohannon
12-12-2023, 08:31 PM
IMR 4198 $50.00 lb. Bought 2 and will get one more to be sure. It’s a new powder for me and supposed to be a good powder for the 40-50 SBN I will find out. I have more powder and primers than I will ever use.

popper
12-12-2023, 08:32 PM
Got some SPP at gunmasters, Plano. Plenty of powder on the shelf, no LRP though - I didn't check $.

BLAHUT
12-12-2023, 08:51 PM
I have seen powder going for over 68-74 dollars at local gun shops here. Worst off I can not find powder I am looking for. I found Unique for the first time in four years they want 74 dollars a pound. I found bullseye for 68 dollars a pound and feel this is kinda HIGH. Primers are 159.99 per 1000 at the local gun shop. I called around and some shops even want 25.99 per 100. Runnings has them for 9.99 a hundred as they split up the cases when they come in. They dont last long and rarely have much.

Is this the case everyplace or just here in NY? We are not blessed with places like Bass Pro or Cabela's. Walmart has not been able to sell ammo since 9/13/23 some kinda glitch in the computer system with the new back round checks in NY.

I believe things are going to get worse IMHO. But if I want to play I will need to pay ??? Primers and powder are the choke point... ????

BLAHUT
12-12-2023, 08:52 PM
IMR 4198 $50.00 lb. Bought 2 and will get one more to be sure. It’s a new powder for me and supposed to be a good powder for the 40-50 SBN I will find out. I have more powder and primers than I will ever use.

To have such a problem ??? I wish .....

wv109323
12-12-2023, 09:43 PM
I bought SPP for $79.99/1000 at Academy Sports. Powder was around $40.00 a pound.

Outer Rondacker
12-12-2023, 10:05 PM
Well guys I broke down and grabbed 1000 Large Rifle primers for 160 bucks plus tax. CCI. I split the case with a buddy since we both have been looking for a while and well it hurt less that way. Tried to order from Natchez today and the site had so much traffic it kept crashing before I could fill a cart.

firefly1957
12-13-2023, 08:09 AM
The biggest place nearby is rather high on powder and primers Last couple purchases have been online when they had hazmat fees waved . I got a price that way of almost half what it is locally . They are high on bullets as well $53 for a box I can buy online for under $40 two boxes and it pays the shipping plus ! ( .308 Hornady 180 gr. SST bullets. They do have a lot of powder on the shelf often not what I use /or need.

There is a old gun shop I stop buy now and then he is selling his old personal reloading stuff off at decent prices . Powders are still sealed about $10 a pound , I bought 4 pounds of HS7 when i was last in .

littlejack
12-13-2023, 09:12 PM
I bought 4 pounds yesterday. 1 of 2400, 1 of 4227, 1 of 4985, and 1 of Accurate #7. All sealed but the 2400, and it was full. Bought them at my favorite second hand store. I didn't need them, but like RO stated, things are gonna get worse. A lot worse.

imashooter2
12-13-2023, 09:37 PM
Local is a relative term. The shops near me have the random pound of Hodgdon powder at $50 plus, but not much else. However, if you drive 64 miles to "the" reloading shop, they have pretty much anything you want. Mid November I bought 16 pounds of 2400 at $41.25 a pound. 8 pounds of Benchmark at $37.50 a pound and 5 pounds of RL7 at $54 a pound. Primers were between $60 and $85 per thousand depending on what you wanted with the high end being large rifle, I am fortunate to be well stocked with primers already.

Are those 2015 prices? No they aren’t! But I’m not going to stop shooting waiting for 2015 to come back.

Swineherd
12-14-2023, 12:57 PM
Remembering all the comments over the last few years, angrily scolding everyone to "Stop buying ammunition and components!!!" because all the panic buying was allegedly to blame for prices remaining high and soon as we heeded the warning we'd see pre pandemic prices again.

Lol

Outer Rondacker
12-14-2023, 04:33 PM
Very true.

Randy Bohannon
12-14-2023, 04:48 PM
Guys at our local store are saying it’s going to get to the point where you won’t see anything for any price.

Outer Rondacker
12-14-2023, 05:22 PM
Guys at our local store are saying it’s going to get to the point where you won’t see anything for any price.

I have heard the same thing. I was hoping it was car salesman tactics but fear it is not.

imashooter2
12-14-2023, 06:16 PM
I have heard the same thing. I was hoping it was car salesman tactics but fear it is not.

It’s why there are an extra 16 pounds of 2400 in my basement.

Outer Rondacker
12-14-2023, 08:47 PM
Imashooter2 smart move.

Idaho45guy
12-15-2023, 03:13 PM
I just bought powder and bullets a few days ago from the local sporting goods store. I got a pound of Unique for $52, a pound of Power Pistol for the same, and a box of Nosler BT 180gr .30 cal for $30. Federal, Remington, and CCI primers all either $7.99 or $8.99 per 100.

atfsux
12-15-2023, 07:05 PM
I just popped into my favorite reloading supply place in Phoenix (BRUNO'S) to check on the primer situation. I'm always after the CCI MilSpec #41 small rifle primers, and today they had them! $.08 cents each if you bought the case of 5000, which I did. Plain old regular CCI SRP were $.06 in the same quantity. But the ONLY large rifle primers they had were the Bosnian GINEX, which SHOULD have been rather affordable. (The GINEX small rifle were $.05 in 2500 case quantity.) But because large rifle primers are unobtanium right now,...the price was $.10 ea., whether you bought the 2500 pack or the little baggies of 300 the proprietor had bothered to sub-package for those who didn't want the whole 2500 pack. I bit the bullet and bought 5000 of those as well.

After tax and all, the bill was just under a grand. It hurt to lay that out;...but,...not as much as it's gonna hurt if I get caught with my pants around my ankles in ANOTHER shortage,...AGAIN. Plus, I am a river to my people. As the senior resident gun nut among my circle of brothers awaiting the coming darkness, I accept a certain sort of responsibility to be the mini arms depot for my clan. So am upholding my end of things here in my area of operations.

labradigger1
12-15-2023, 08:30 PM
I picked up a pound of w296 and 2 pounds of w231 at the roadside flea market today for $25 total. Happy boy.

ulav8r
12-15-2023, 09:32 PM
Looked this morning at the only store in town with reloading supplies. Most powders were $50/lb, 4064 was $60. Had about 10-12 different powders, 4 or 5 1lbbottles of each, and 2 8 pounders. A few bullets but no primers in sight.

wildwilly
12-16-2023, 12:55 AM
I was up in El Cajon a few days ago for a dental appointment, and later went over to Turner's Outdoorsman to load up on 22lr. There in the powder section was one lone bottle of H4350...$60 including sales tax. I bought it, thinking that that stuff was getting as expensive as Norma powder. When I got home I happened to check Midway's price for a bottle of H4350...$54. So, I didn't feel like I got ripped.

Idaho45guy
12-16-2023, 05:36 AM

Outer Rondacker
12-16-2023, 06:55 AM
OH now your just showing off. I have not been in a gun shop or store with that much supply in over a decade. Here in NYS everything is locked up and you have to ask do you have this? do you have that? it gets old really fast. Shop workers get sick of checking and just start answering with NO NO NO. That is a very nice store you have there Idaho45guy.

Shawlerbrook
12-16-2023, 07:50 AM
Rondacker, in my part of the state( Central NYS) gun shops are far and few between and gun shops with reloading supplies, especially powder/primers, are non existent. Best thing is to watch for free hazmat ( Powder Valley just had one) and get what they have you can use. I don’t have to tell you, but here in NYS, between the morons in Albany and now the world chaos finding things to feed your guns is like hunting that Boone & Crocket whitetail. And it’s probably going to get worse if that’s possible.
How about a section where members here by state could give a heads up on local ammo/ components honey holes ?

Hannibal
12-16-2023, 08:49 AM
I was in a Scheels in the KC area recently. The only primers on the shelf were CCI BR4. They probably had 20K.

At 199.99/K they still had them all when I walked out.

dverna
12-16-2023, 09:16 AM
I was in a Scheels in the KC area recently. The only primers on the shelf were CCI BR4. They probably had 20K.

That is nuts. Can get them on Gunbroker cheaper than that.

Anyway, I am seeing a lot of name brand primers well under $100/k on line. Most ads have either free shipping or free HazMat.

I am hoping prices continue to trend down and holding off building up my inventory. It seems the war in Ukraine is at a stalemate, and most countries are scaling back sending stuff to Z man. Would not be surprised to see "peace" break out there in the next year. The Israelis should have Hamas mopped up in under 6 months. Plus there are two new primer facilities starting up in the next year or so. If the election is not fixed, Trump will be elected in 2024.

Hannibal
12-16-2023, 09:23 AM

Sorry, early and not enough coffee yet. 119.99/K. Still too steep for me.

Outer Rondacker
12-16-2023, 09:32 AM
Rondacker, in my part of the state( Central NYS) gun shops are far and few between and gun shops with reloading supplies, especially powder/primers, are non existent. Best thing is to watch for free hazmat ( Powder Valley just had one) and get what they have you can use. I don’t have to tell you, but here in NYS, between the morons in Albany and now the world chaos finding things to feed your guns is like hunting that Boone & Crocket whitetail. And it’s probably going to get worse if that’s possible.
How about a section where members here by state could give a heads up on local ammo/ components honey holes ?

This area is about the same. I think a state wide info area would be great. I think I am a member of a site that has something like that but for shooters to meet other shooters in the same area. Ah just looked its Gatewaytoairguns at the bottom of the page they have a section for the different states. Yes it has come to me looking into more higher powered air rifles with the primer/powder issues coming up. Only issue is I need my airgun to shoot like a 22LR and the ones that do I can not afford.

Outer Rondacker
12-16-2023, 09:33 AM
Sorry, early and not enough coffee yet. 119.99/K. Still too steep for me.

lol I was just replying to Shawlerbrook's post and was going to say man that price of 199.99 was high but you corrected it. LOL

MrWolf
12-16-2023, 10:47 AM
Midsouth Shooters Supply sent an email this morning for free shipping (not Hazmat) on a case of Aquila primers for $0.07 each (5,000 case) and $0.08 each (1,000 case).

Shawlerbrook
12-16-2023, 12:49 PM
Between shortages, price inflation and the trajectory of laws governing/restricting shooting supplies, the best advice I can give is try to lay in a lifetime supply. Sad but the truth.

Outer Rondacker
12-18-2023, 06:44 AM
A fellow down the road called to tell me yesterday, he found some IMR4895 for 58.99 a pound. Its only two hours away. They are holding it for him. He asked if I had ever been to the shop he found it at and naturally I told him yes. So I guess I am taking a ride on Wednesday to inspect what other powders they have and help out the neighbor. Who knows lightening might strike and I will get something I have been looking for.

sukivel
12-18-2023, 10:53 AM
That is nuts. Can get them on Gunbroker cheaper than that.

Anyway, I am seeing a lot of name brand primers well under $100/k on line. Most ads have either free shipping or free HazMat.

I am hoping prices continue to trend down and holding off building up my inventory. It seems the war in Ukraine is at a stalemate, and most countries are scaling back sending stuff to Z man. Would not be surprised to see "peace" break out there in the next year. The Israelis should have Hamas mopped up in under 6 months. Plus there are two new primer facilities starting up in the next year or so. If the election is not fixed, Trump will be elected in 2024.

The fix is in…

Rockindaddy
12-18-2023, 11:07 AM
Have been watching the estate sales. Recently bought an 8 lb jug of 4350 and an 8lb jug of 4895 for $200 each. Got 40 lbs of the old surplus SR4759 for $7 a pound. Primers seem to be the first item that sells in an estate sale. The heirs in an estate grab the guns and most of the ammo but leave the reloading gear and components. When the Russians pull out of the Ukraine and Israel destroys all of Gaza maybe world ammo demand will drop off; powder and primers will come down in price.

inspector_17
12-18-2023, 11:34 AM
My LGS here in western PA, average $30-70 per pound of powder. LR or LP Primers good luck! SR, SP, and mag, are generally available. $90-110 per k tho. GS about hour and a half away says they haven't seen LP/LR in a about three years.

Doog-Meister
12-18-2023, 12:49 PM
Colorado.
Most powders 39-45/lb. Some are 55. Choices are quite limited.
Primers are hit and miss as to what kind and size, but run 89-95/1000 when they are available.

Definitely not what it used to be. Vendors selling reloading supplies at the gun shows are either no longer there, or are asking NY-type prices, and no one is buying.

lightman
12-18-2023, 03:22 PM
The stores here have a nice stock of powder. Its $50-$55 a pound or so. Not a big stock of primers, but priced $100/1000 or so. Bullets started coming back about 1-1/2 years ago, mostly Hornady. They are well stocked with ammo too. Lots of lesser known brands. Prices were coming down but not to pre-pandemic prices.

beemer
12-18-2023, 04:19 PM
My cousin and I went to Blue Collar Reloading in Salisbury, NC this morning. A good selection of ammo, powder and a large selection of bullets. They had small pistol, small rifle and shotgun primers.

For example, can of Unique was $40, can of 4831sc was about $50. Primers were running about $80-$90 a thousand.

My cousin had a carton of WLR primers but doesn't load any large rifle so I bought a carton of Federal SP and we swapped. Some primers are showing up in this area but haven't seen any large rifle primers. Things have just started to moderate a little but with the news on price increases things might get crazy again. If it ain't one thing it's another.

dr_rick
12-18-2023, 08:26 PM
In the second amendment state of Missouri, I am able to obtain small pistol or rifle primers magnum or standard for .07 each. I was at a local gun show the first week of December and was able to get Hodgdon Powders for a good price. I picked up some one pound bottles of CFE Pistol for less than 30 bucks. There was a variety of powders all well under 40 bucks. H4895, Varget, TiteGroup, Benchmark, Bullseye all just to name a few.

magnumuser
12-21-2023, 01:54 AM
I have one store that SOLD reloading supplies in a 120 mile radius. They have had 1 can of H4831, the only powder they have had in the last 2 years. Its been on the shelf with a 69.00 price tag.

They had small rifle primers 1 time in the last 3 years. They charged 18.99 per 100. And you had to purchase by the 100 packs.

The rest of the reloading supplies is a few random boxes of sierra and hornady bullets, some hornady round ball options. And a few 20 pound bags of lead shot. And a set of 270 winchester rcbs dies.

I choked on my tongue this week to pay 46.00 a pound online for Unique. But as others have said, its been an imaginary product for years. Kind of like Promo..

Outer Rondacker
12-21-2023, 07:59 AM
Hit a what many in my area consider to be the best gun shop around yesterday. I hate the place. A bunch of uneducated morons. They make up so much BS and tell customers lies it pains me to step a foot in the door. Anyway they had Large pistol mag match primers for 18.99 per hundred. Small rifle 14.99 per hundred and price carries over to 1k packs same with small pistol. No large rifle or reg large pistol. Tried to tell me some kinda BS that large pistol is sold out because the war and all the pistols being used are 45 acp's. Asked about a few powders and was told they are discontinued. What they did have in stock was starting at 68.99 and upwards to 78.99 per pound.

It was painful. Every word was painful between the prices and the lies. Guys did you know the reason you can not find Bullseye or Unique and Trail Boss is because the government shut them down. My head still hurts.

Oh and a box .500 projectiles 50 count is 59.99. A box of 50 CCI 22mag is 42.97 in this place. Its no wonder I stop in once ever other year.

So small rifle small pistol both mag and standard and large pistol mag match is what I can find local so far. Going to stick to the web for now. Huh sorry guys but somehow this turned into a rant. Back on track....

Idaho45guy
12-24-2023, 07:38 AM
Hit a what many in my area consider to be the best gun shop around yesterday. I hate the place. A bunch of uneducated morons. They make up so much BS and tell customers lies it pains me to step a foot in the door. Anyway they had Large pistol mag match primers for 18.99 per hundred. Small rifle 14.99 per hundred and price carries over to 1k packs same with small pistol. No large rifle or reg large pistol. Tried to tell me some kinda BS that large pistol is sold out because the war and all the pistols being used are 45 acp's. Asked about a few powders and was told they are discontinued. What they did have in stock was starting at 68.99 and upwards to 78.99 per pound.

It was painful. Every word was painful between the prices and the lies. Guys did you know the reason you can not find Bullseye or Unique and Trail Boss is because the government shut them down. My head still hurts.

Oh and a box .500 projectiles 50 count is 59.99. A box of 50 CCI 22mag is 42.97 in this place. Its no wonder I stop in once ever other year.

So small rifle small pistol both mag and standard and large pistol mag match is what I can find local so far. Going to stick to the web for now. Huh sorry guys but somehow this turned into a rant. Back on track....

I've heard of places like that. So sorry you have to suffer through it. Only one LGS here and it is staffed by clueless college kids. Luckily, when they start to say something stupid, I can just cut them off with a quick word of wisdom and they get the hint that they are speaking with someone more educated than them.

Ignorant older blowhards are the worst. They have stumbled through life without gaining the wisdom that sometimes others know more than them and it is a good idea to simply shut up and listen every now and then.

Shawlerbrook
12-24-2023, 07:48 AM
Bought some powder at Natchez a few days ago. Had one day free hazmat and no sales tax so the price was about what you would expect at a fair lgs in this new normal times. Now if only I could find some H4198.

barnetmill
12-24-2023, 07:58 AM
Most of the powders that you all are looking for are available on line at: https://shop.hodgdon.com/shop-all/?_bc_fsnf=1&Group=Smokeless+Powder
If it is out of stock, normally if you wait, they do a run and it is available again.
One does get stuck with hazmat and shipping when doing it on line. My last order was during a special discount sale and so that paid the hazmat and shipping. And I do see 4350 as being stock.

I realize the OP was for locally, but locally there is not an awful lot for me in stock.

truckerdave397
12-30-2023, 08:12 PM
I was at the Sportsman Warehouse in Lansing Michigan today. Power Pistol was $50 a pound. $175 for a four pound jug. I don’t think it will ever be cheaper. Another local gun store in St John the counter guy says that he is selling bricks of primers for $100-110. People complain but still buy. The new normal.

Outer Rondacker
12-31-2023, 07:34 AM
Was in a Running's yesterday along my travels and spoke with the department manager for sporting goods. He claimed they have had powders and primers on order from home office for months and nothing other than small rifle and pistol have come in. Then he did correct himself saying we did get in two pounds of TiteGroup two weeks ago. He took my number and claimed he would call me if anything came in. Prices where not to bad from what he was saying. 29.99 for the TiteGroup so naturally they do not have anymore. :}

snowwolfe
01-04-2024, 08:35 PM
Just purchased a 6.5-300 Wby, a 300 Wby, and a 340 Wby. Others suggested I start with IMR 7828 SSC. Called six shops around me and none in stock. Got a tip a place in Kentucky had a 8 pound jug, called them and they agreed to hold it. Mad the 75 mile drive to the shop and bought it for $379. Not going to worry to much about the price. Rather buy it today and have it on the shelf to use tomorrow.

Tripplebeards
01-04-2024, 08:55 PM
Cabela’s has various powder in stock from $29 up to $53 per pound depending on what you’re buying just check their website. They also had 15% off every Monday through December. I took advantage of it and bought 3 pounds. Still was higher than normal price before pandemic but at least got it closer with the 15% off. Think it was some type of ram shot powder or something for 29 bucks I was shocked.of course I bought h4895 and benchmark that were the most expensive and were around $52 per pound before the 15% off. After the $8 per jug discount it was a little less painful…and I had enough Cabelas points built up that two pounds only cost me a nickel out of pocket. I had to pay for the third one. Lol

I think it was ram shot in enforcer that was $29.99 looks like it went up two dollars. Also tight group is $31.99 and there’s a lot powders in stock at my local Cabelas in the mid to high $30 range.

Primers for get it. Still $10 to $15 per hundred. Keep buying them at that price and they will say there.

Outer Rondacker
01-04-2024, 09:29 PM
I need a Cabelas in my area.

Tripplebeards
01-04-2024, 09:38 PM
Mine is about an hour drive one way. Not to bad. It’s also a distribution center. Their warehouse is giant.

Hannibal
01-04-2024, 09:40 PM
Cabelas is now owned by Bass Pro. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in stocked items and a dramatic increase in prices at the Kansas City, Kansas location and have determined it's no longer worth my time and gas to drive over there.

It's the Bass Pro business model now. Not interested.

Tripplebeards
01-04-2024, 09:48 PM
They also price match local retailers. Bass Pros policy ….Cabelas never did it. I had some 30 grain hornady 22WMR vmax ammo pulled up on my phone at fleet farm for $12.99 last year while I was there. Theirs was $18.99…the price matched it. They have price matched my crossbow and a bunch bullets since that time. They won’t price match firearms though. I'll buy from them all day long when they do that. They told me of there is a retail store within 250 miles with a better price they will price match it. It might have been sportsman's guide that had the great price. They have a retail store in the cities.

Tall
01-04-2024, 09:48 PM

Well, you live in a communist state. If it were me, I would be figuring out how to leave there. Everything costs double what it does in a free state. If it is even available.

ddeck22
01-05-2024, 09:03 AM
At least here in the Northeast, Cabela's has a sale on Winchester SRP, $63/1k.

I see it on their website, so I think it is nationwide.

Markopolo
01-05-2024, 09:40 AM
I had to go to town yesterday… and with my new project 35 Rem I wanted to make sure I was not cutting into my 7-8 pound stash of Varget. There was some at the local shop in Craig and I paid right at 60 bucks… forget the primer thing here… ain’t happening. Lucky to find any powder whatsoever here in rural Alaska.

sureYnot
01-05-2024, 09:44 AM
No hazmat fee at Natchez today.

Tripplebeards
01-05-2024, 11:12 AM
I had to go to town yesterday… and with my new project 35 Rem I wanted to make sure I was not cutting into my 7-8 pound stash of Varget. There was some at the local shop in Craig and I paid right at 60 bucks… forget the primer thing here… ain’t happening. Lucky to find any powder whatsoever here in rural Alaska.

40 grains!!!…and light those HP’s up!

dverna
01-05-2024, 11:44 AM
I am seeing a number of ads for free hazmat or free shipping, and I view that as a good sign.

If I did not have a decent supply of components, I would be buying stuff now. If Biden "wins", things will get worse. I have scaled back and have enough stuff to shoot for over 10 years but fear what is coming. I have enough stuff to wait a bit longer, but I am getting close to stocking up.

The long-term outlook for shooting sports is not positive. History has shown what will happen. Being prepared is essential if we want to continue our hobby, and face the turmoil ahead.

Currently, my "trigger points" are $50/k for primers ($75/k today) and $35/lb for powder ($42/lb today). I will purchase a lifetime supply when that happens. Being 73 makes the numbers doable. Selling "useless toys" has provided the funds. If Biden "wins", I will pay more and buy a bit less as the risks of what could happen are too great.

Tripplebeards
01-10-2024, 02:34 PM
Yep….I love shooting but I’m not in a hurry to go out and just plink hundreds of thousands of rounds just for the fun of it with the stupidity going on in today’s market.

Outer Rondacker
01-10-2024, 04:06 PM
Well, you live in a communist state. If it were me, I would be figuring out how to leave there. Everything costs double what it does in a free state. If it is even available.
Let’s see what November brings before I toss in the towel.

Idaho45guy
01-10-2024, 05:14 PM

I wish I had any optimism left for elections in Washington. The West side runs the state and despite the riots, homeless issues, rampant crime, ridiculous prices for goods, and everything else that happens when you put leftists in charge, the morons keep voting for them. And every legislative session brings even more restrictive and idiotic laws. Private sale of firearms all but illegal, no normal capacity magazines, no ARs, no 10/22s, and basically no semi-auto rifles allowed to be bought or sold. I'm expecting them to next outlaw CCW and the sale of reloading supplies.

And now they are going after the middle class folks by outlawing gas powered lawn care equipment. No more gas motors allowed under 25hp. Their latest targets are tires and outlawing ones that aren't "low rolling resistance". Basically, they are going to force everyone in the state to buy tires designed for EVs and hybrids, meaning low traction. They are truly the most idiotic, hateful, and ignorant group of people I have ever seen.

So, yeah, I have lost all optimism for Washington, unless the state splits in half.

Outer Rondacker
01-10-2024, 06:00 PM
My biggest fear with moving is after I move the laws change wherever I go.

sukivel
01-11-2024, 12:05 AM

Don’t come to Oklahoma then!

sukivel
01-11-2024, 12:06 AM

It’s going to bring tears and no hope. The fix is in. Just like last time.

Idaho45guy
01-12-2024, 04:34 AM

That happened to me. When I moved back to my hometown in 2012 after my divorce, I couldn't afford a decent home in Idaho. So I bought a house in Washington just across the border. 6 months after purchase, the newly elected liberal congress and Governor declared war on gun rights. WA and ID were nearly identical. Over the past 10 years, WA is now worse than CA while Idaho laws got more lax.

I will be moving a few miles into Idaho, but it will cost me about $400 a month in income tax.

The latest announcement from the communists on the West coast is a plan to tax ammo at 11%. Funny how my house would be worth another $100k if it was a couple of miles across the border in Idaho.

Outer Rondacker
01-12-2024, 09:18 AM
Well I was able to grab some powder and primers from Midsouth. Only had large pistol but that was better than not having any LP. Paid 110 for 1k and around 50 pound powder after taxes and shipping with free hazmat.

MUSTANG
01-12-2024, 12:16 PM
And I got a notice from Powder Valley this morning that Powder is going up on 15 Jan 2024 because of additional escalation of prices by manufacturers. I will be on the watch for Specials - but sure seems to be pricing many out of the market.

Shawlerbrook
01-12-2024, 12:22 PM
We have a Bass Pro close( Utica, NY) but no powder or primers. Used to be able to use ship to store with no charge but that’s no longer an option for powder/primers. Best bet for us in “dry” states is the free hazmat option at places like Midsouth, Natchez, Graf’s etc.

barnetmill
01-12-2024, 12:39 PM
And I got a notice from Powder Valley this morning that Powder is going up on 15 Jan 2024 because of additional escalation of prices by manufacturers. I will be on the watch for Specials - but sure seems to be pricing many out of the market.

The powder companies are just charging what the market will bear. Good ole capitalism about charging what you can. It might or might not stop if the DEMs lose in Nov 2024 or might not. IF the DEMs lose, then maybe they start stocking up because they think that the GOPers will go after them physically.

MUSTANG
01-12-2024, 04:52 PM
Not a solution to existing or near term prices; but maybe there are glimmering rays of change. There is a new company establishing a plant in Glendive Montana to produce small arms munitions (9mm to 50BMG); as well as 20mm to 50mm, and Mortar rounds. There was an announcement in news print and Radio earlier this week. The company is Brixtel Defense;with HQ's in Virginia. https://brixteldefense.com

I saw a couple of references to their having contracts with NATO countries and with the USofA for production. Although I see no direct citation of selling to the commercial market; it is probable that we could see availability of excess/over run components and manufactured ammunition.

Of interest; I saw a citation that they manufacture powder. If so; perhaps we may see an emergence of "COMPETITION" in the industry that has been rife with acquisitions and reduction in numbers of companies; resulting in higher prices due to lack of competition. As the old saw goes "Only Time Will Tell".

A local NewsPrint article on the new production is found at: https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-regional/brixtel-montana-business-glendive-relocation/article_49047404-b012-11ee-9b39-f76ded560679.html

barnetmill
01-12-2024, 06:12 PM
Not a solution to existing or near term prices; but maybe there are glimmering rays of change. There is a new company establishing a plant in Glendive Montana to produce small arms munitions (9mm to 50BMG); as well as 20mm to 50mm, and Mortar rounds. There was an announcement in news print and Radio earlier this week. The company is Brixtel Defense;with HQ's in Virginia. https://brixteldefense.com

I saw a couple of references to their having contracts with NATO countries and with the USofA for production. Although I see no direct citation of selling to the commercial market; it is probable that we could see availability of excess/over run components and manufactured ammunition.

Of interest; I saw a citation that they manufacture powder. If so; perhaps we may see an emergence of "COMPETITION" in the industry that has been rife with acquisitions and reduction in numbers of companies; resulting in higher prices due to lack of competition. As the old saw goes "Only Time Will Tell".

A local NewsPrint article on the new production is found at: https://billingsgazette.com/news/state-regional/brixtel-montana-business-glendive-relocation/article_49047404-b012-11ee-9b39-f76ded560679.html

That is an awful lot for a relatively new company to do all at once. I hope it is true.

perotter
01-12-2024, 08:41 PM
I can get powder here. About every standard one used. Prices start at $31 a pound.

I couldn't find anything that Brixtel makes powder. Only that they use the approved ones.

MUSTANG
01-12-2024, 09:06 PM
It is supposedly a "Spin Off" from some other (Unidentified to my Knowledge) Corporate entity. NOT as Start Up in the traditional role of an entrepreneur or group of Entrepreneurs/Investors getting together to begin a Ammunition/Powder company. I read and extrapolate some interesting observations based on the various sources with limited information available (released?). One significant one is that they specifically were looking for a Rail Spur adjacent to the desired plant location with the Capability of 100 or more Rail Cars. Receiving large quantities of items manufactured elsewhere and assembled there, Rail Road cars of Raw Materials, and Rail Road cars for outbound shipping are readily supportable for large volumes. The town has less than 5000 residents; and the County has less than 9,000. The Population has been seeking a replacement industry since the Burlington Northern Railroad closed the Roundhouse and downsized operations in the area.

The lesser population and remoteness coupled with a "Semi-Arid" climate (although extreme temperatures differentials of -50 to 117 have been seen) are excellent for the proposed industry (Think Hawthorne Nevada and the Fomer Navy - now Army run operations as a corollary). Reports are they intend to hire 350 people initially; and then expand from there.

I have not been able to ID specific "Manufacturing and Production" they intend. Their web site indicates they produce "Powder"; which the remote area would be favorable; but I might be ambitious and placing "wants" before reality. I still see encouragement as even the Assembly of components manufactured elsewhere would potentially result in over runs and "Seconds" that could be sold into a secondary sporting market; or to resellers like GI Brass, Bartlett Reloader, Wideners, or ....... Also; The references to "Existing" NATO contracts is intriguing in that this is not what one would expect with a "Small Startup".

reloader28
01-13-2024, 01:21 PM

Yep. We heard a week and 1/2 ago from a main distributer that all powder is going up 30%.

I always laugh in the face of anyone that tells me the prices will eventually go back down. They will NEVER go back down because of the people that insist on shooting every day and keep buying no matter what the cost is.

35isit
01-13-2024, 02:31 PM
Was told today at local candy store some powders would be $80.00 a pound on next order.

lightman
01-13-2024, 03:51 PM

I saw that notice and ordered an 8# jug of 4350. Midway was $131 more. I guess they have already taken advantage of the proposed price increase? I usually order 47-48# of powder from them at a time to spread the hazmat fees but I just don't need that much.

barnetmill
01-13-2024, 05:37 PM
Yep. We heard a week and 1/2 ago from a main distributer that all powder is going up 30%.

I always laugh in the face of anyone that tells me the prices will eventually go back down. They will NEVER go back down because of the people that insist on shooting every day and keep buying no matter what the cost is.
People insist on hoarding.
Lately I am back to just buying loaded ammo when I see a good deal. I am buying better loading equipment will only load when I can not get what I want or a good deal for what I want.
For components only for what I have an immediate use for or I am completely out of.

Swineherd
01-14-2024, 03:26 AM
That Darned dirty capitalism!
I wish the government would seize the means of production from all these greedy business people and distribute ammunition and reloading components equitably! What a utopia that would be, huh?

imashooter2
01-14-2024, 04:02 AM
People insist on hoarding.
Lately I am back to just buying loaded ammo when I see a good deal. I am buying better loading equipment will only load when I can not get what I want or a good deal for what I want.
For components only for what I have an immediate use for or I am completely out of.

What’s the difference between a hoarder and a guy that likes to shoot but has been burned often enough that they swore to themselves they’d never get caught short again?

Outer Rondacker
01-14-2024, 07:25 AM
What’s the difference between a hoarder and a guy that likes to shoot but has been burned often enough that they swore to themselves they’d never get caught short again?
A professional hoarder! :drinks:

Shawlerbrook
01-14-2024, 07:52 AM
Sorry, but here in NYS I prefer to treat my ammo and components to the Boy Scout motto……Be prepared ! Just ask the deer hunters that were pulling their hair out last November when they were told it would take 30 days to get a box of ought six for opening day. I have no problem with guys( I am one) that want a lifetime supply, my problem is with those that gobble up everything they can to turn a profit. Was done around here a while back when 22 lr was unobtainable.

Outer Rondacker
01-14-2024, 08:25 AM
Or one could be called a New Yorker.

barnetmill
01-14-2024, 08:37 AM
Sorry, but here in NYS I prefer to treat my ammo and components to the Boy Scout motto……Be prepared ! Just ask the deer hunters that were pulling their hair our last November when they were told it would take 30 days to get a box of ought six for opening day. I have no problem with guys( I am one) that want a lifetime supply, my problem is with those that gobble up everything they can to turn a profit. Was done around here a while back when 22 lr was unobtainable.

Living in a somewhat free state of FL both ammo and powder can be purchased off the net. This also include primers. It is all being sold and when out of stock, if you wait at least on the internet will be back in stock.

If I am willing to pay a little more for the ammo and the shipping-hazmat, I can buy the most common calibers and I can get 22LR. I may have to wait until precisely what I want comes back into stock, but it is there. I have an order for 5,000 rd of CCI SV 40 grain lead at 7 cent/rd plus state sales tax and insurance being processed. I waited a while for it to come back in stock. It is the lesser used rounds that cost. I see AAC Palmetto S arms has 77 gr 5.56 at a decent price. As soon as the .22 shows up on my doorstep I will buy some of the 77 gr 5.56.

dverna
01-14-2024, 11:55 AM
I used to shoot 20k rounds a year. For some people, enough "stuff" for me to shoot one year would be considered hoarding. For others, a five year supply is minimal planning. Imagine that...enough stuff to shoot 100k rounds...what a hoarder!!!

IMO "hoarding" components and ammunition is dependent on four factors. How much you want to shoot, how much you "need" to shoot (I was shooting over 7000 rounds a year in competition), how long you expect to shoot, and if you are planning for your heirs.

If someone cannot afford the hobby, that is not the fault of hoarders. Someone who calls me a hoarder because I planned and invested to meet MY wants/needs is missing the point of why they are not prepared.

I am not buying primers at $75-150/k because I do not need to! The folks who "hoarded" years ago are not the problem. It is those who did not plan and have to pay to play that are keeping prices up. If everyone had a 10 year supply, they could not sell primers for $75-150/k. There would be no market.

I hope the "new hoarders" keep buying at stupid prices. If they did not have the money to buy 100k primers 10 years ago, they are unlikely to have the money to do much hoarding now. That will cause the bottom to fall out of the market.

I will buy back in when that happens. Sold over 50% of my primers to grasshoppers during "the panic". Need/want to stock back up but I am in no hurry. Once the grasshoppers eat everything in the field, they will die off.

There is not unlimited demand. There is more primer manufacturing coming on stream. IMO prices will come down. The grasshoppers will stop buying at high prices when they have about a three supply (just how they are wired) and most are low volume shooters. Folks like me who plan for more than 10 years can and will wait it out.

barnetmill
01-14-2024, 12:19 PM
I used to shoot 20k rounds a year. For some people, enough "stuff" for me to shoot one year would be considered hoarding. For others, a five year supply is minimal planning. Imagine that...enough stuff to shoot 100k rounds...what a hoarder!!!

IMO "hoarding" components and ammunition is dependent on four factors. How much you want to shoot, how much you "need" to shoot (I was shooting over 7000 rounds a year in competition), how long you expect to shoot, and if you are planning for your heirs.

If someone cannot afford the hobby, that is not the fault of hoarders. Someone who calls me a hoarder because I planned and invested to meet MY wants/needs is missing the point of why they are not prepared.

I am not buying primers at $75-150/k because I do not need to! The folks who "hoarded" years ago are not the problem. It is those who did not plan and have to pay to play that are keeping prices up. If everyone had a 10 year supply, they could not sell primers for $75-150/k. There would be no market.

I hope the "new hoarders" keep buying at stupid prices. If they did not have the money to buy 100k primers 10 years ago, they are unlikely to have the money to do much hoarding now. That will cause the bottom to fall out of the market.

I will buy back in when that happens. Sold over 50% of my primers to grasshoppers during "the panic". Need/want to stock back up but I am in no hurry. Once the grasshoppers eat everything in the field, they will die off.

There is not unlimited demand. There is more primer manufacturing coming on stream. IMO prices will come down. The grasshoppers will stop buying at high prices when they have about a three supply (just how they are wired) and most are low volume shooters. Folks like me who plan for more than 10 years can and will wait it out.

Don Verna: shooters like you are actually a minority of those that are buying components. Most of the buying is by people building stockpiles for a world without rule of law. And 1,000 rds on hand for a rifle is not enough for them. End result is that someone like me that was only buying maybe enough for 1 or 2 years in advance of what I would actually shoot is out scrambling looking for more. Now I have a bit more than that.
Now as I have already stated I will only be reloading for what ammo that i can not buy at reasonable pricing. I have hoarded some things, but until prices return to what I consider fair, I will only be buying what I am planning in the near future to reload.

Gray Fox
01-14-2024, 12:49 PM
One only has to look at the current and probable future restrictions on trans-ocean shipping to see the core of supply delays and price increases. The Feds got OSHA to shut down every lead production and processing factory in the U.S. If all you buy is a 100-round box of musket balls they're being imported from someplace, probably in the Balkans. I think we may already be in the same situation with most smokeless powders. Hodgdon bought the remains of Goex BP and is supposedly bringing that back on line, but most BP shooters had already developed a preference for foreign-produced BP before Goex went under this last time. So, bottom line is that none of our needed supplies is going to become more available or less expensive. The most visual manifestation of that here in the Atlanta area is the demise of IDPA and cowboy shoots. For those of us who used to participate and used our loaded ammo, the cost of primers today is more than an entire round of ammo used to cost even if we bought someone else's cast boolits to load. I was loading some cowboy-level .45-70 the other day for an 1886 and pulled a 4-pound jug of 2400 from my stash and it had a tag on it for $79.99. Those weren't even the best days as some of you recall. To paraphrase an old Army break motto, "Take it easy and shoot 'em if you got 'em". Have a great day and I hope you all find what you need. GF

barnetmill
01-14-2024, 01:32 PM
One only has to look at the current and probable future restrictions on trans-ocean shipping to see the core of supply delays and price increases. The Feds got OSHA to shut down every lead production and processing factory in the U.S. If all you buy is a 100-round box of musket balls they're being imported from someplace, probably in the Balkans. I think we may already be in the same situation with most smokeless powders. Hodgdon bought the remains of Goex BP and is supposedly bringing that back on line, but most BP shooters had already developed a preference for foreign-produced BP before Goex went under this last time. So, bottom line is that none of our needed supplies is going to become more available or less expensive. The most visual manifestation of that here in the Atlanta area is the demise of IDPA and cowboy shoots. For those of us who used to participate and used our loaded ammo, the cost of primers today is more than an entire round of ammo used to cost even if we bought someone else's cast boolits to load. I was loading some cowboy-level .45-70 the other day for an 1886 and pulled a 4-pound jug of 2400 from my stash and it had a tag on it for $79.99. Those weren't even the best days as some of you recall. To paraphrase an old Army break motto, "Take it easy and shoot 'em if you got 'em". Have a great day and I hope you all find what you need. GF

The sky is not falling yet.
I believe that most hodgdon powders are made in the USA. Yes and the price of ammo and components has gone up and dry fire is still cheap and there are laser devices for training.
For IDPA if I wanted to do it I have enough ammo. And also I am not rich. I see locally one of my clubs is still sponsoring action pistol shooting and I believe the SAS crowd is putting on their matches.

Idaho45guy
01-15-2024, 11:51 PM
I picked up another can of Varget yesterday for $51 at the local gun shop. Hard to stock up at these prices, but I'm trying.

imashooter2
01-16-2024, 02:30 AM
You never pay too much, you only buy too soon.

In 10 years you can brag about how you were smart enough to lay in stock at only $51 a pound.

rbuck351
01-16-2024, 03:22 AM
I am not a high volume shooter. I doubt I shoot 1000 rds of center fire a year. At age 75, I have enough components to shoot as much as I want for the rest of my life. A couple months ago I looked at a Bimart and the powder prices ranged from about $35 to $65 per lb with quite a selection available. I suppose I could be called a hoarder but I bought most of my components more than 5 years ago and not all at once. And, I don't care much what folks call me.

About 50 years ago I ran low on small rifle primers and they weren't available. I vowed to not let that happen again and it hasn't.

trapper444
01-16-2024, 03:47 AM
Im having so much trouble trying to find any Percussion caps for my revolver it will use No 11 and No 11 Magnum Caps or No 10 perdussion capsill buy the six nipples in No 10 guys do any of you know any place that are selling any percussion caps Please just let me know and im going to replace everything now anyways and i shoot Triple7 loose powder and i am looking at the 30 grain pellets for my revolver im going to get another one fellas i will cast my own 44cal round balls i BELIEVE IN GOD TOTTALY AND HE IS GOING TO HELP ME WITH THIS FELLAS WE MUST STAND TOGETHER AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND BE A GOOD HONEST FELLA

imashooter2
01-16-2024, 05:27 AM
Buffalo Arms has #11 caps. Not cheap.

MrWolf
01-16-2024, 08:26 AM
Im having so much trouble trying to find any Percussion caps for my revolver it will use No 11 and No 11 Magnum Caps or No 10 perdussion capsill buy the six nipples in No 10 guys do any of you know any place that are selling any percussion caps Please just let me know and im going to replace everything now anyways and i shoot Triple7 loose powder and i am looking at the 30 grain pellets for my revolver im going to get another one fellas i will cast my own 44cal round balls i BELIEVE IN GOD TOTTALY AND HE IS GOING TO HELP ME WITH THIS FELLAS WE MUST STAND TOGETHER AND LOOK OUT FOR EACH OTHER AND BE A GOOD HONEST FELLA

Look at the threads on making your own. Does not appear to be that difficult.

MrWolf
01-16-2024, 08:35 AM

Yup. Each person's position is different. You have no clue what another is going through or planning on. Labeling someone a hoarder for getting to a position where they feel secure is no different than labeling legitimate gun owners as mass killing shooters. Apples and oranges. There is nothing fair about what is going on with supplies and prices but then again, life isn't fair. Buy when you can, take advantage of opportunities when you can, and plan ahead. When 22's were selling for about four cents each I bought a few cases. I call that being smart and able to take advantage as I had the money at the time. Others may call that hoarding but I learned a long time ago not to care what others think. Why should I let someone else dictate how I feel especially someone I do not personally know? Be prepared and find alternatives to accomplish what you want.

MUSTANG
01-16-2024, 10:33 AM
There is enough food in the Freezers for 3 to 4 years to feed my wife and I.
Expanded from 500 gallon to 1000 gallon propane tank, enough to take me to next winter.
Six or seven cords of Fire wood - enough to take me to next fall.
XXX commercial reloading components, XX of various chemicals for making primers, exploring 1940's style powder mfg.

My point is that none of this to me is hoarding; it s simply being able to be self sufficient and not dependent on external sources for near term to mid-term. Use of alternative solutions instead of doing without or complaining (i.e. making primers, use of alternative powders such as 50BMG or 20mm vulcan powders, exploring old DIY powder production tech, etc..). I believe we are in for some rough times over next 24 months; maybe even more. I choose to be prepared and will proudly take the slings of envy from those who choose to label me a "HOARDER". Read the Ant and Grass Hopper story.

Thin Man
01-21-2024, 08:17 AM
Yesterday I went to a local gun show that used to be the only show in this area for many years. Tables were packed on the floor space and full of merchandise for sale. Yesterdays show had fewer tables, about 1/4 of them empty. There were NO tables with only reloading components as there used to be several sellers who always made the show. Perhaps these sellers did not like driving over ice, or perhaps they have been choked out from loss of access to the volume of components from distributors. Sad to see it but it is what we are all facing now. As I have done before, I am starting to use up the "ignored" components I have. They may not work as well as I wanted but they still work within their ability.

Outer Rondacker
01-21-2024, 08:48 AM
There is enough food in the Freezers for 3 to 4 years to feed my wife and I.
Expanded from 500 gallon to 1000 gallon propane tank, enough to take me to next winter.
Six or seven cords of Fire wood - enough to take me to next fall.
XXX commercial reloading components, XX of various chemicals for making primers, exploring 1940's style powder mfg.

My point is that none of this to me is hoarding; it s simply being able to be self sufficient and not dependent on external sources for near term to mid-term. Use of alternative solutions instead of doing without or complaining (i.e. making primers, use of alternative powders such as 50BMG or 20mm vulcan powders, exploring old DIY powder production tech, etc..). I believe we are in for some rough times over next 24 months; maybe even more. I choose to be prepared and will proudly take the slings of envy from those who choose to label me a "HOARDER". Read the Ant and Grass Hopper story.
Well said Mustang