PDA

View Full Version : pedersoli big 50

500swshooter
02-15-2009, 11:34 PM
I fired the big 50 on paper today with 100 grains of 2f, a grease cookie and a lyman 450 grain bullet sized to 513. My first 3 shot group was around 8 inches, needles to say I was not happy. I kept shooting without cleaning or using a blow tube or anything else. The part that I don't understand is that the groups kept getting smaller. After about 30 rounds it was shooting 1 hole. Is this normal for black powder? Does the barrrel require significant fouling? I always thought a clean barrel was the way to go.

leadman
02-20-2009, 12:50 AM
Sounds like you have a very good rifle. From my limited experience with black in cartridges I would say this is unusual.
In my H&R 58 caliber muzzleloaders similar results would happen with the T/C bore butter.
Next trip out should tell you if this is a fluke or not.

NickSS
02-20-2009, 05:34 AM
I would say this was unusual as I have never seen it happen in over 40 years of black powder shooting. Sounds like you have a good rifle. I have a smaller 50 Sharps (50-70) and it shoots good too but without a blow tube the groups get bigger with fouling build up.

StrawHat
02-22-2009, 08:48 AM
According to the literature of the day, any 50 caliber was considered a "Big 50"

My experiences with the 50-70 in two different rifles is contrayry to yours. Decent accuracy from the start and got better as the barrel aged and seasoned with the load.

Keep shooting.

Limey
02-24-2009, 03:36 PM
500swshooter,

Did you slug the barrel before sizing your bullets to .513?

Big groups can be caused by too small a bullet for a given barrel.

I'm thinking that as the barrel fouled up the bore diameter is effectively getting smaller so if the bullets were a bit small for the clean barrel diameter then as the fouling built up they were becoming a better fit in the bore and giving a better grouping.

Just my thoughts with the facts presented.....you did not say how you had determined that .513 was the correct calibre for your barrel.

Safe shooting,

Limey