PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin removal on an OU

Sudsy
12-11-2023, 05:12 PM
Have a late 1930's Savage 420. the springs could be better.
Just finished replacing the sear springs, pretty easy job - Now the firing pins. It's getting to the springs for the firing pins that I'm unsure about.
I do not know what the order of operation is to open up the receiver.
It's an uncommon gun, you cock it by moving the lever all the way over, not by opening it up.
And no, I've had -0- luck finding anything on youtube or the net

I'd post a picture but this site won't let me for some reason

Electrod47
12-11-2023, 05:15 PM
Thats a hard one

Mk42gunner
12-11-2023, 06:06 PM
Sounds to me like it cocks the same as the first version of the Savage Model 219 rifle.

While I have not torn mine down, I did take the stock off and have a good look when I bought it several years ago. It didn't strike me as being all that complicated to tear down for replacement of parts.

There are (or at least used to be) several websites that show how to take down the various version of the 219, Maybe take a look and see if they are helpful?

If it is striker fired like the Model 219, do not dry fire it.

Good Luck,

Robert

Sudsy
12-14-2023, 01:04 PM
It was easy and obvious, I was just a bit paranoid

Here's the problem now - the firing springs are pretty much done, very weak. They do still work but have to be kept immaculately clean or the pins stick (I shoot Red Dot, not the cleanest powder)
Numrich is out of stock, I haven't found them anywhere else.

Is it possible that the same springs were used in another gun and might be interchangeable? Is there anyone who makes custom springs ?

pietro
12-14-2023, 06:55 PM

Have you contacted these guys ?

https://everygunpart.com/contact-us

If you have no joy, maybe a thin steel washer(s), fit to the front of the FP tunnel(s) can get a bit more power to the FP return springs.

If you get in there, I would also suggest checking the tunnels and/FP tips for burrs and/or gunk that may be effecting FP movement

Winger Ed.
12-14-2023, 07:07 PM
Your pictures are probably either too big and need to be cropped or resized.
also, the pictures may not be in a format the site recognizes.

I'd also go for cleaning the pins, springs, & tunnel for them first.
Grease that old probably looks like candle wax.

Sudsy
12-16-2023, 12:53 AM
I'd also go for cleaning the pins, springs, & tunnel for them first.
Grease that old probably looks like candle wax.

Closer to ear wax but still pretty stiff
Already done

skeettx
12-16-2023, 01:39 AM
Firing pin spring pulls the firing pin rearward after the shot
It is number 14

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/hardware/specialty-hardware/springs?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQiAj_CrBhD-ARIsAIiMxT8O3GhxaZFtSWgyJQ-QhqJkgRpUhXnc3kRzdbPZlkbb1FLH_ks5q6EaAjpjEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

p.s. will a clipped ball point spring fit??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now if you need the main spring, that is different

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/savstevspgfld/shotguns-sav/420

Number 23
They are in stock :)