PDA

View Full Version : Argy Mauser loads

Doctor Sam
04-06-2005, 12:54 AM
I have Argentine mausers in both specie. Anyone have a favorite cast bullet load thay care to share? I have a Lyman 311291 and a 180g spitzer style that I could never get to shoot in a 30-06, don't remember the number.
Recoil is a problem for me due to a rotator cuff tear, hence the need for a light recoiling cast bullet load.
Many thanks, Gentlemen.

Buckshot
04-06-2005, 04:53 AM
I have Argentine mausers in both specie. Anyone have a favorite cast bullet load thay care to share? I have a Lyman 311291 and a 180g spitzer style that I could never get to shoot in a 30-06, don't remember the number.
Recoil is a problem for me due to a rotator cuff tear, hence the need for a light recoiling cast bullet load.
Many thanks, Gentlemen.

.........Doc, a warm welcome to the board. I spent a year one week in Alexandria, LA visiting a brother in law and family. It was August. It was HOT. It was HUMID. I thought I was gonna DIE.

The Argentine Mauser is one of those 'Fat 30s'. Forgive me if you already know this. Usually one of these in good shape with have a groove dia of .311" to .312". Sometimes the bore can be all out of whack at something like .303". I would suggest as a minimum that you stick that 311291's nose in the muzzle and if it rocks you might have a hard time getting any accuracy.

I would REALLY suggest That you slug the barrel. Then you can see what you have to work with. There really isn't a whole bunch of good boolits out there for these (SMLE, Jap, Russian) outsized 30 calibers. If it's on the skinny side, say no more then .312" you have a few more options. But if it comes in at .314" then the Lyman 314299 is about it.

Also, if it is smaller then .314" a really good little boolit for it is the Lee C309-113F. Around here it's known as the 'Soup Can' as it resembles one, or a kinda 30 cal SWC thingie. These will normally cast larger then the 309 indicated. I have a 2 cavity that drops almost at .314". They have a tendancy to be very accurate (and sometimes hard to feed from a mag 'cause of the flat nose), but give imperceptable recoil. Probably like a 22RF from a Argentine. You can use a light charge of fast shotgun/pistol powder, like 6.0 Red Dot, and similar. A real fun little boolit.

Hope some of this helps.

..................Buckshot

Maven
04-06-2005, 09:11 AM
Doc, As Buckshot said, slugging your bore will give you some idea of the widest CB (the "size to" diameter) you can use, which in turn, will define your mold choices. Lyman #314299 with its .303" nose and body sized to .313" works for me as does a custom Loverin (Cast Bullet Engineering, Australia) also sized to .313". Low recoiling loads for either would be 13gr. Red Dot, 16gr. 2400 or 18.5gr. WC 820 (a military surplus powder). The latter -> ~1,600fps. ...Maven

swheeler
04-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Doc; I use the Lee C312-185RN, the mold has been lapped to cast .315/.304 and sized in a .313 lyman sizer(.3135) 19.0 grs of SR4759 gives just over 1600 fps and is accurate and mild.
Scooter

Doctor Sam
04-09-2005, 10:41 PM
Thanks, Gentlemen. Wasn't thinking too clearly when I posted this. I have the Lee 185g mold and have not done much loading with it yet. Sorry for the confusion and I do appreciate the suggestions.
My favorite Argy is the carbine that appears to be a 2/3 scale M98. Don't know the proper name for it as there seems to be some confusion. SOG sold them some time ago and had an absurd name on them. I believe they were made for the engineers.
I'm looking forward to working up a load for it now that brass is available.
Thanks again.

KCSO
04-12-2005, 04:31 PM
Doc
My best light recoil load is the Lee 155 bullet over 12 grs of Red Dot. I size the bullet to 312 and it will shoot as good as I can hold at 100 yards and sometimes better. In my Argie 1891 sporter with a Lyman peep this load has went 5 into 1 1/2" regularly. My Dad is in his 80's and enjoys shooting this load. Between us we have several Argie and I have noticed that the Lee bullet sized to 312 seems to shot good in all of them. With other bullets I have had to go up to 313 in a couple of guns.