PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Cultured Butter In Kitchenaid Mixer

DougGuy
12-09-2023, 06:26 PM
Organic Valley used to make this AWESOME cultured butter, it was SO good you could eat it right out of the wrapper. It had a tangy taste and it REALLY woke up recipes like cookies and such.

They quit making it a couple years ago, so I went googling for recipes for cultured butter, found a really simple really good one, and I found someone showing how to make butter in a Kitchenaid stand mixer so I combined the two recipes and made my FIRST homemade butter, and I had to make the cultured butter I use it in Christmas chocolate chip cookies, as it really brings out the toffee flavor in the cookie dough.

This recipe uses yogurt for the source of the cultures which will ferment the cream and give the butter that awesome movie-theater popcorn butter kind of taste

Here is the recipe:

Homemade Cultured Butter In Kitchenaid Mixer

• 4C organic heavy cream (or heavy whipping cream)
• ½C organic whole milk plain yogurt (Stonyfield Greek yogurt is good but Bulgarian yogurt really has a lot of BITE)
• 2tsp fine sea salt

Combine cream, salt and yogurt in a mixing bowl or 8 cup batter bowl, stir slowly with wooden spoon to mix cream and yogurt well. Cover with a clean kitchen towel and let mixture sit in a warm area for 18 to 36 hours; it should thicken and taste rich and tangy.

Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate until it reaches 60 degrees, 1 to 2 hours. If you refrigerate it longer, allow mixture to warm slightly at room temperature before proceeding.

Pour the fermented cream mixture into the bowl of a stand mixer, process on medium high speed with a wire whisk until the bond between milk solids and fat begins to break down. Switch to the paddle and overmix until yellow curds begin to separate from the buttermilk and collect on the paddle. Gather curds into a butterball, pour off the buttermilk and save it. Although it will be mostly fat free, the flavor will be intense!

Use a fine cheesecloth and place a tennis ball sized scoop of the fresh butter in the center, twist the cheesecloth and force the butter into a tight ball, squeeze, squish and roll, squeeze, squish and roll, until you cannot see any more buttermilk dripping out. This takes considerable hand pressure. Place in a covered Tupperware dish. The butter will last about a month in the refrigerator.

This image is just after the curds come together and collect on the paddle.

45workhorse
12-10-2023, 07:52 PM
Dang it, my wife doesn't want to make this!

I guess I will try!

Bmi48219
12-10-2023, 08:08 PM
DougGuy, is the end product better than butter that’s been churned from raw fresh milk. My brother kept a milk cow, with nine kids he could have used two.
He would half fill a mason jar and shake it until a clump of butter formed. It reminded me of the butter my grandmother made. I couldn’t hold the raw milk in but after the butter was removed I could.
The wife has taken to making Greek yogurt with organic half & half. With a teaspoon of honey it’s better than ice cream.

DougGuy
12-11-2023, 06:10 PM
DougGuy, is the end product better than butter that’s been churned from raw fresh milk. My brother kept a milk cow, with nine kids he could have used two.
He would half fill a mason jar and shake it until a clump of butter formed. It reminded me of the butter my grandmother made. I couldn’t hold the raw milk in but after the butter was removed I could.
The wife has taken to making Greek yogurt with organic half & half. With a teaspoon of honey it’s better than ice cream.

Do you have a stand mixer? This butter simply rises above ALL others in flavor profile, fresh churned raw fresh milk butter may be awfully good, but it can't stay on the same plate with true cultured butter as I described. This stuff is the crack cocaine of butter!

I found organic Bulgarian plain yogurt at Wegman's, I think it added a lot to the flavor profile of the butter I made, as it is considerably stronger in taste than Greek yogurt, it has more BITE. If you are going to use a starter to make things with, use this yogurt.

Edit: The first batch of cultured butter I made fermented for 36hrs and was fairly thick on top, dragging a spoon through it left a good trail, it was thick like pudding. The second batch was still loose at 36hrs so I waited until 48hrs and it thickened up like the first batch.

Both batches yielded 1lb cultured butter, and 1pint of buttermilk, which is what you are left with when all the curds separate. I saved the buttermilk for making cornbread, since all the fat is removed from the buttermilk, it's kinda thin and watery. I figure just add in a little more bacon grease + butter to compensate.