PDA

View Full Version : Please pause while I do my happy dance...

Winger Ed.
12-08-2023, 01:47 AM
After two years, I couldn't put off going into Dallas any longer.

In years past, a life long friend & I have bought & sold a S&W Model 52 .38Spec. auto back & forth a few times.
He bought in new in the box, but never fired it. (I've fired it a lot when I've had it)
Over about 20 years--- He needed money, so I bought it.... I needed money, he bought it back.
I had a windfall and bought it back again. When I first got it, I found a new in the wrapper extra mag. for it for $30.
When he bought it back, he promptly lost it.
When I bought it last time, a couple years ago, and wanted a 2nd magazine,,,
I discovered the price for one of those magazines--- if you could even find one---- will make your knees get weak.
In the archives of other forums I found a very few, and they sold for around $175-200. 5-7 years ago.

A couple years ago, a long time buddy, the local gun store/smith guy closed up.
Him, my friend listed above, and myself are all personal friends and we've visited the gun shop buddy frequently.
Right before he closed, they'd ordered some big lot of Federal Primers.
He's been selling them off pretty much at the price they were when he closed to old time customers.
I had a couple cartons set aside, but never picked them up-- for 2-3 years.

My old friend found the magazine. Mrs. Winger & myself came to Dallas to visit her parents graves,
and my old friend met us there (saving me having to drive to the other side of the city in traffic
that is just something to behold now days and not for the meek.

He brought my magazine and told me he'd swung by our gun shop buddy earlier this morning.
He picked up my 2 cartons of primers, and told me he went ahead and got the last 3 others our buddy had left.
Our buddy told me years ago, he'd sell 'em to me for $45.oo a carton, and set them aside.
Today... Quick as a cat, I gave him $300.oo for all 5 cartons.
I figured it was pretty a good deal for 5,000 Federal SPP, delivered, and I got to visit with a life long friend
I hadn't seen in a few years.

Now I can feed the Model 52 a proper diet,
and am happy I didn't throw away that coffee can full of .Small Primer .45ACP brass I scrounged awhile back.

Bazoo
12-08-2023, 02:05 AM
Awesome. I'm glad you got to visit with your friend, and avoid the city streets and traffic. Also glad you got the primers at a nice price, and your magazine back.

Why you didn't reckon I'd want to see pictures of the 52, and some pictures of clover leafed targets though is beyond me!

Winger Ed.
12-08-2023, 02:28 AM
Why you didn't reckon I'd want to see pictures of the 52, and some pictures of clover leafed targets though is beyond me!

Sorry, I didn't think of it.
It's about as close as I'll ever get to a custom built 'race gun'.

At the moment--- I was too busy taking my clothes off and dancing on the dining room table.

MaryB
12-08-2023, 04:10 AM
Sorry, I didn't think of it.
It's about as close as I'll ever get to a custom built 'race gun'.

At the moment--- I was too busy taking my clothes off and dancing on the dining room table.

PASS! I do NOT want to see that! LOL

contender1
12-08-2023, 06:48 AM
The take away I get from this,, is a true friendship.

You have a great friend,, who you can trust,, and appreciate. And I'm sure he feels the same way.

Scoring the primers,, excellent. Finding the spare magazine,, a gift.

But I'll pass on watching the table dance! :D

dverna
12-08-2023, 08:05 AM
The M52 is a fine gun but not as valuable as the friendships you have had with good people.

I could not afford a Clark when I was shooting Bullseye 50 years ago and the M52 was what I used. A buddy sleeved in a 1-10 twist barrel and that M52 shot groups at 50 yards about 1/2" larger than my friends Clark. The gun had been owned by one of the top shooters in Canada and he gave me a deal. I was in college at the time and money was tight. Took pity on me.

I miss my M52. I miss my friend a lot more. May he RIP.

Thanks for a great post and reviving old memories.

Thumbcocker
12-08-2023, 09:43 AM
Range report please.

Texas by God
12-08-2023, 10:46 AM
I’d make a couple of laps on Belt Line Road to celebrate!!!!
Well, maybe[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

45workhorse
12-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Mighty fine pistol, but much finer friend!!!

Range report pictures.
No DANCING pictures.

popper
12-08-2023, 11:17 AM
couple of laps on Belt Line Road to celebrate!!!! Dang, you got guts. I stay away from LBJ too. Now if I can find a trade of LRP for SPP.

gwpercle
12-08-2023, 12:54 PM
Awesome Story !
Enjoyed reading and it put a smile on my face ...
Thanks for posting ... :drinks: First round's on me !

Let's Dance :happy dance: :happy dance:
Gary

georgerkahn
12-08-2023, 01:07 PM
I am most happy for you! I shot Bulleye for a good many years with a S&W 52 (no dash) complementing my S &W Model 41 .22. I got so I could get most in the black circle, and almost always had a higher score with the .38 than the rim-fire! I cast H&G boolits and used 2.7 grains of Bullseye; CCI primers. A "funny" (not at the time) story is -- out of the blue -- my scores started going down. And down. I took it to a reputable gunsmith/shooter who has a Ransom Rest, and it did OK there. Then it dawned on us "Maybe the 'scope?" Yup -- it took a replacement of the 'scope and it became my #1 accurate pistol again. Vis purchase, a friend found himself in possible "trouble" and needed to sell.. I got a good deal. BEST (firearm) purchase I ever made!
Again, I'm happy for you!
geo

DukeSoprano
12-08-2023, 04:45 PM
Couple years ago my neighbor called me and said there was an estate sale and the whole basement was "gun stuff". I went there and started making offers of boxes full of stuff. There was a Pachmayer gun box with the shelf still in it and I bought it for $30. When I emptied the contents at home I found 5 mags in it.
I stood there in shock and went and grabbed my 52 mag to compare. 4 of the mags were model 52 mags! Also was a box of 52 parts!

Winger Ed.
12-08-2023, 05:15 PM
Range report please.

I wish you wouldn't try to embarrass me like that.
You just don't appreciate how sensitive and delicate I really am.

This thing will make Stevie Wonder look good at the range, and I do OK.
But there's a whole bunch of folks that can do it more justice.

45workhorse
12-08-2023, 05:24 PM
I wish you wouldn't try to embarrass me like that.
You just don't appreciate how sensitive and delicate I really am.

This thing will make Stevie Wonder look good at the range, and I do OK.
But there's a whole bunch of folks that can do it more justice.

Well, let your wife shoot!:kidding:

Shanghai Jack
12-08-2023, 06:20 PM
Winger - what shop did your old friend run?

Winger Ed.
12-08-2023, 06:27 PM
Winger - what shop did your old friend run?

It was Doc's in Carrolton at Belt Line & Old Denton Road up a little North of Dallas within sight of I-35.
I've known him and shopped there since the early 80s. His health just fell off a cliff not too terribly long ago.

I used to do a little welding for him on some odd ball/big/heavy stuff that came in.
When I'd bring a gun in, like a dented barrel on a shot gun, he'd go a little pale, and tell me,
"Yeah,,, if it was a easy project you would have already done it your self".

WILCO
12-09-2023, 11:22 AM
Great story Winger Ed!

Shanghai Jack
12-09-2023, 11:30 AM
It was Doc's in Carrolton at Belt Line & Old Denton Road up a little North of Dallas within sight of I-35.
I've known him and shopped there since the early 80s. His health just fell off a cliff not too terribly long ago.

I used to do a little welding for him on some odd ball/big/heavy stuff that came in.
When I'd bring a gun in, like a dented barrel on a shot gun, he'd go a little pale, and tell me,
"Yeah,,, if it was a easy project you would have already done it your self".

I was wondering what happened to Docs - one day he was there and then the next time I went he was closed down.

lightman
12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Great story, really enjoyed it! Also a great Friend and great pistol! Would you sell that pistol? Would give it a good home!

Idaho45guy
12-09-2023, 09:42 PM
Thanks for sharing! Great story about a cool pistol and great friends!

Winger Ed.
12-09-2023, 09:46 PM
Great story, really enjoyed it! Also a great Friend and great pistol! Would you sell that pistol? Would give it a good home!

Nah,,,,,
I just took a couple thousand brass out of the polisher and am getting ready to load them,
so rather than selling it,, I think I'll try to wear it out.

Besides, my friend and myself are making a few bucks with it.
If I sold it, that extra income for both of us would go away.:bigsmyl2:

Frosty Boolit
12-09-2023, 09:52 PM
I won't forget the first time I saw one of these, I couldn't figure out why the heck a guy at the PPC shoot with an autoloader was chasing .38 brass. I couldn't believe what I was seeing, rimmed brass in a bottom feeder and cycling with wadcutters

lightman
12-10-2023, 12:40 AM
Nah,,,,,
I just took a couple thousand brass out of the polisher and am getting ready to load them,
so rather than selling it,, I think I'll try to wear it out.

Besides, my friend and myself are making a few bucks with it.
If I sold it, that extra income for both of us would go away.:bigsmyl2:

I think Jerry Clowers had that problem with a Horse trade! Maybe it was a Mule?