PDA

View Full Version : RCBS PRO Melt

sfcairborne
12-06-2023, 05:49 PM
For those of you that have this, how do you like it. My old saeco pot is on its last leg.

dverna
12-06-2023, 06:28 PM
From what I recall, the newer ones do not seem as well liked as the older models. Something to weigh when evaluating replies.

It factored into my decision not to get one. Plus, for my needs, the Master Caster made more sense.

Nick Quick
12-06-2023, 07:03 PM
The newer model has a major flaw. When you're done working there is no switch ON/OFF like the older model. Based on the manual you have to lower the temperature to the lowest setting and wait an amount of time until the pot cools off. I don't care about the reasoning behind it but that's ridiculous. They should have not add a PID which quality is also questionable. They should have kept the good ole RCBS ProMelt the way it was.
Not sure how they will last in time after 5-10 years but the old gen are still running as of today after 20 years of use.
I was fortunate to find a brand new one on ebay (the original one) and that will be my spare as the one that I use right now is also an old beat up first gen Pro Melt that is still working after many many years of use and abuse.
The new generation do not have enough history to make an opinion but I know a guy who is very happy with the new unit. He completely removed the RCBS PID so he can turn of the pot whenever he's done and added a switch then went old school with a Hatch PID.

Mk42gunner
12-06-2023, 07:08 PM
My Promelt is an older one that I bought used several years ago to replace a Lee 4-20. I like it fine, never been around one of the newer ones.

If I were to buy another new bottom pour, with the choice being a Promelt or a Lee 4-20, I think I would buy the Lee and use the saved money for more lead.

Robert

sfcairborne
12-06-2023, 07:30 PM
Thank you for all the replies.

Winger Ed.
12-06-2023, 07:34 PM
If you can find a older one at a decent price grab it.

My old one from the 90s has had several hundred pounds go through it and is still on the job.

sfcairborne
12-06-2023, 09:22 PM
Found an old one on eBay bought it for 325 took a chance and bought it. Owner states it works perfect. Will RCBS still fix this model? Or is there someone on the forum that does just in case?

Winger Ed.
12-06-2023, 09:26 PM
Not sure about getting one fixed, but as simple as they are, and as many of them as there are out in the wild--
they should still have parts.

Nick Quick
12-06-2023, 09:28 PM
RCBS won't touch the first gen. It was discontinued few years ago. If the pot works then it works. And it will work for many years to come. Now how the previous owner took care of it I have no idea.
I wish you good luck with it and I hope will last you many years with no issues.

sfcairborne
12-06-2023, 09:36 PM
Thank you me too. My old saeco works great, but it’s a ten pound pot and I go through that pretty fast and nervous it’s getting old. But it doesn’t drip so that’s a plus. Guess we will see about the pro melt when it gets here.

Winger Ed.
12-06-2023, 10:32 PM
RCBS won't touch the first gen.

That's depressing.
I wonder if some of the basic things like thermostats & switches are available as off the shelf items.
The heating element might be a problem, but there's got to be a work around.

Minerat
12-06-2023, 10:39 PM
I have an Eazy Melt, that is the ladle pot. I like it but as mentioned has to be unplugged after the temp on the pid is below 165°. It takes longer to cool then to heat to 730°. I finall started directing a fan in it to speed that up but it still takes more than a hour. It takes about 3 hours for the startup/shutdown cycle with the fan. Other than that it is a really nice pot that holds 25 pounds.

I realize it is different than what you asked about but you should be aware of that draw back. You can't just walk away like you can with your seaco. I added a Hatch PID to my seaco and when I get done I shut it off and go do something else rather than babysit it.

sfcairborne
12-06-2023, 11:35 PM
Thank you

45workhorse
12-07-2023, 11:18 PM
For those of you that have this, how do you like it. My old saeco pot is on its last leg.

Take off the front cover and check the thermostat!
Lee thermostats can be modified to work. I did mine and it works. You can also wire it straight to a PID and bypass the thermostat completely.
If it is the heating element, well....I haven't had to make that journey yet!

swamp
12-07-2023, 11:43 PM
I got one shortly after the came out. Replaced a Lee that died. Since then I have got two more. Really like them.
swamp

sfcairborne
12-08-2023, 12:38 AM
Thanks, the old taco is still running, but I did buy the gen 1 RCBS pot that I found. Should be here Monday so gonna clean it and see if it fires up and melts some lead. The cool down sequence on the new pots doesn’t bother me so may pic up a new one as well.

Land Owner
12-08-2023, 04:27 AM
"Cool down sequence"? With a Pro Melt? What's that? Maybe I need to reread the 2010 instructions...not likely.

Or perhaps I am following the Mfg's advice as I keep 1/2 a pot (or more) in the kettle and let nature cool it to a solid and it's worked like that for 13+years without a hitch.

25ring
12-08-2023, 08:35 AM
Best answer is a separate PID then you can run it with any pot you want,and it will be far more accurate.

swamp
12-08-2023, 08:54 AM
Best answer is a separate PID then you can run it with any pot you want,and it will be far more accurate.

On this I agree. PIDs make holing temp easy.
swamp

dverna
12-08-2023, 09:23 AM

Good post.

sfcairborne
12-08-2023, 10:59 AM
The new pro melts, you can’t just unplug them, you have to let them cool down to a set temp before you can unplug it

Jtarm
12-08-2023, 12:34 PM
The newer model has a major flaw. When you're done working there is no switch ON/OFF like the older model. Based on the manual you have to lower the temperature to the lowest setting and wait an amount of time until the pot cools off. I don't care about the reasoning behind it but that's ridiculous. They should have not add a PID which quality is also questionable. They should have kept the good ole RCBS ProMelt the way it was.
Not sure how they will last in time after 5-10 years but the old gen are still running as of today after 20 years of use.
I was fortunate to find a brand new one on ebay (the original one) and that will be my spare as the one that I use right now is also an old beat up first gen Pro Melt that is still working after many many years of use and abuse.
The new generation do not have enough history to make an opinion but I know a guy who is very happy with the new unit. He completely removed the RCBS PID so he can turn of the pot whenever he's done and added a switch then went old school with a Hatch PID.

That’s bc the PID is integral. The fan has to keep running until the pot cools to keep the heat from destroying the PID.

An external PID, which it sounds like your acquaintance devised, solves the issue.

I bought it when I got sick of looking for a decent used PM and sicker of my Lee Drip 20.

So far it’s been awesome, except for the mold rest. I bought NOEs guide and it’s a huge improvement.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-08-2023, 04:26 PM
"Cool down sequence"? With a Pro Melt? What's that? Maybe I need to reread the 2010 instructions...not likely.

Or perhaps I am following the Mfg's advice as I keep 1/2 a pot (or more) in the kettle and let nature cool it to a solid and it's worked like that for 13+years without a hitch.

The cool down sequence is for the Pro Melt 2

The original Pro Melt is no longer available from RCBS.

The Pro Melt 2 came out in 2018 or 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jybdckmHDbQ

fatelvis
12-09-2023, 12:01 PM
Are you saying the PID in the new RCBS pots are not as accurate as seperate PIDs

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-09-2023, 05:58 PM
Are byou saying the PID in the new RCBS pots are not as accurate as seperate PIDs

I'm not sure if 25ring is saying the following, but I will.
RCBS put the thermocouple in a poor location in the Pro Melt 2 units, Some of them are 50º off.
A DIY PID with the thermocouple submerged in the molten alloy, ideally located near the pour spout, are far more accurate then a RCBS Pro Melt 2 with the thermocouple mounted to the heating element.

I've known more than one person to modify their Pro Melt 2.
https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.php?threads/modifying-the-rcbs-pro-melt-2-pid-thermocouple.8909/

FISH4BUGS
12-10-2023, 08:50 AM
I had a Lee 20 lb drip-o-matic for 30 years. I accepted the dripping as just part of the deal. I always kept a screwdriver alongside to twist the rod back and forth if it started to drip.....which was much of the time.
It served me well and is in backup mode now.
I bought the RCBS Pro Melt. I bit the bullet and paid the long dollar for it. It is smoother to operate and apparently more accurate in terms of temp. I also use a thermometer in the pot and it is close to the digital reading most of the time.
I posted my dissatisfaction with the shut down process here and someone suggested a timer. I bought a couple and they are perfect - when you get done, set the temp to minimum, set the timer for 2 hours and walk away.
Easy peasy.
They are worth the money, but I have to say dollar for dollar the Lee pot (with all its faults) is still the best bang for the buck.

sfcairborne
12-10-2023, 11:00 AM
Yes the drip onatic is what I want to stay away from. Love my saeco she’s just getting tired

sfcairborne
12-10-2023, 03:55 PM
Ok well the gen 1 pro melt pot just got here. Got it cleaned, put some lead in it to see if it will melt and pour. Keep your fingers crossed she works.

Winger Ed.
12-10-2023, 04:04 PM
Ok well the gen 1 pro melt pot just got here. Got it cleaned, put some lead in it to see if it will melt and pour. Keep your fingers crossed she works.

Cool.
To help, and for good luck:
I'll do some chants, burn some incense, dance around a fire, and sacrifice a chicken.

sfcairborne
12-10-2023, 05:42 PM
I think the chants worked. The pot heated up only put 4 pound of lead I it but it worked just fine and no drips. I need a new thermometer to check the lead temp but so far so good . Gonna like this pot, holds more than my 10 pound saeco

jsizemore
12-10-2023, 06:28 PM
I leave about 4 lbs in my pro-melt at the end of a casting session to help the next get started. That's a little less than an inch.

Winger Ed.
12-10-2023, 06:43 PM
On mine, when its empty and fires up, the bottom third or fourth of the pot where the element is glows red.
I'm sure it's OK, I just don't like seeing it do that.

When I get done, I leave it mostly full. I don't know if it heats up better or faster,
but it makes the dust, dead bugs and spider webs easier to clean out for the next time.