PDA

View Full Version : 54 cal blank load for New years

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 05:38 AM
What is a good load combo 54 cal for new years celebration. Sounds like a good excuse to shoot your gun and be safe kind of like people that use fireworks in the same way.

cwtebay
12-05-2023, 07:00 AM
50ish grains of powder with a bit of paper.as a wad is very loud and flashy, but you do have potential to hit someone with the paper - probably far safer than a firework though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hickok
12-05-2023, 10:23 AM
In Re-enacting we used 50-60gr. black powder load in 58 cal for a realistic "bang."

You can tamp a paper wad over the charge to keep it in place.

We were forbidden to do this, as the paper might hit a Yankee, and their mommy wouldn't let them play with us anymore!:kidding:....:bigsmyl2:

LAGS
12-05-2023, 01:21 PM
I load my .75 cal. Blunderbuss with around 50 gr of BP with a lubed over powder wad .
I lube the wads with something like Bore Butter and let it dry.
I just don't want the wad to end up smoldering.
I also have used fiber wads that have been lubed.
The wad can just be lubed fabric balled up and stuffed down the barrel.
Accuracy isn't a factor on New Year's Celebration.
So loads really don't matter.

Texas by God
12-05-2023, 06:14 PM
50ish grains of powder with a bit of paper.as a wad is very loud and flashy, but you do have potential to hit someone with the paper - probably far safer than a firework though.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

^^^^^This^^^^
Shooting from the roof kept the kids out of scattering my possibles!
Shove a chunk of paper towel in and shoot straight up-big fun[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

36g
12-05-2023, 06:33 PM
3F makes a good blank powder - burns a bit faster and gives a sharper report. Paper cartridge blanks gives you the paper wadding as well.

beshears
12-05-2023, 09:04 PM
Shooting a firearm into the air would portray firearm owners in a bad light whether blanks or not. We do not need any more bad press.

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 09:47 PM
I have a tall fence around my yard so no one can see in. Thought shooting my BP would be fun. I guess what ever i stuff in after the powder need to be lubed good so if i shoot in the air i wound'nt have smoldering wads or any thing landing on the guy next doors roof that would be bad. Not much of an issue here every thing is always wet. If its not raining its snowing this time of year.

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 10:00 PM
Shooting a firearm into the air would portray firearm owners in a bad light whether blanks or not. We do not need any more bad press.

Not standing on a street corner doing it or in public. I live in a small town and know the people that live around me. Don't think it would be much of an issue they might even want to join me in the fun.

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 10:03 PM
Is there any thing you can put in the powder to give it color when it goes off?

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 10:07 PM
I have some old powder i made a while back and used pine for the charcoal. works good but real dirty so it would be one way to use it up and not go to waste.

LAGS
12-05-2023, 10:17 PM
That would be a good use for that pine charcoal powder.
Some people say that you can add a little aluminium powder to your powder to make a flash.
But I wouldn't.
Not unless you don't care about your rifle or damaging the bore.

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 10:27 PM
Good to know. Woudnt want to prematurely do any damage to my gun thats for sure.

HWooldridge
12-05-2023, 10:29 PM
We used to cut down wine corks to fit a 45 muzzleloader and they worked great to fire in the air, although I wouldn’t point in a direction that might hit someone.

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 10:42 PM
I have a mountain on the other side of the road that i live on. A big rock wall that goes up a good bit then turns into timber, know one lives up there so its a good safe direction to point up at.

MarkP
12-05-2023, 10:42 PM
I stuff my 54 with tight newspaper wads over 70 gr or 3f. Depending where you live keep in mind the paper may be burning / smoldering.

Plate plinker
12-05-2023, 10:54 PM

He lives in Alaska and probably has five neighbors and a herd of moose. No worries !

45workhorse
12-05-2023, 10:56 PM
I took a Colt walker pistol loaded with 30 grains 3F and a wonder wad, to scare kids on a church Halloween, hay ride, fired the 6 "rounds" in the air, then started a chain saw up without the chain and chased them down the trail, to the next, "scare"! A good time was had by all!

Pointed in the air you will be good!

lead chucker
12-05-2023, 11:22 PM
This is for New years not Halloween. Sounds like fun i bet they had a better use for toilet paper than toilet papering you house after that.