PDA

View Full Version : Broken Lyman 4500 Lubrisizer

Wandering Man
02-15-2009, 07:33 PM
I sat down, ready to lubrisize a couple of hundred boolits this afternoon. I don't have a heater under the lubrisizer, so I just aim a hair dryer at it, and away I go. Temp is only in the mid 60's, so I didn't think it would be a bid deal.

Anyway, I got to boolit #5 and the top of the pressure screw broke off.

I can get a new one from Lymans for about 4 bucks, plus maybe another 5 bucks for shipping/handling.

The thing is, I'm not sure I can remove the old screw. I've tried backing it out with my vice grips, and all that happens is I rip up the screw.

Suggestions? I'm open to any, including "buy a different brand." If I go the expensive route, can I use my same dies?

Thanks,

WM

carpetman
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Wandering man--don't think this is so drastic as to buying another---fixing it would be cheaper. To me this is good testimony of why to buy RCBS---there would be no $4 for a new part. Good reason to spend the few extra up front and get RCBS. Should you switch to RCBS the Lyman sizing dies and top punches will interchange.

Wandering Man
02-15-2009, 07:51 PM
Wandering man--don't think this is so drastic as to buying another---fixing it would be cheaper. To me this is good testimony of why to buy RCBS---there would be no $4 for a new part. Good reason to spend the few extra up front and get RCBS. Should you switch to RCBS the Lyman sizing dies and top punches will interchange.

That's good to know.

I like your avatar. I assume that's not you?

WM

carpetman
02-15-2009, 08:09 PM
Wandering Man---Like my avatar and assume it's not me. No it isn't me thats not me. It's a picture of one of the many of a large throng of girls that follow me and stalk me. Don't know how to get rid of them.
BTW San Angelo Texas here---what town you in?
One thing I didn't mention is that your Lyman uses a ratchet to feed the lube. A new RCBS uses a toggle handle( older RCBS also used ratchet). I much prefer the ratchet. A new RCBS can be converted, but it takes a little work---it's not as simple as just changing the parts.

Wandering Man
02-15-2009, 08:15 PM
I'm South of you, in Aransas Pass (just north of Corpus Christi).

If you really wanted to get rid of 'em, I'm sure you'd figure out a way.

I was able to finally get a good enough grip on the pressure screw to undo the thing.

So looks like I'll order a new pin, rather than a new lubrisizer. I went ahead and got two because I couldn't stand the thought of paying as much for shipping as for the part.

WM

carpetman
02-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Wandering Man--If I really wanted to get rid of them I'd find a way. No luck. I have considered resorting to extreme violence. I even thought about throwing those foam packing peanuts at them---but I think thats a bit of overkill.

Wandering Man
02-15-2009, 09:21 PM
Wandering Man--If I really wanted to get rid of them I'd find a way. No luck. I have considered resorting to extreme violence. I even thought about throwing those foam packing peanuts at them---but I think thats a bit of overkill.

Those peanuts are dangerous! I think they can cause Sam an' Ella to attack.

WM

montana_charlie
02-15-2009, 10:15 PM
Those peanuts are dangerous! I think they can cause Sam an' Ella to attack.
That would be those peanuts from Georgia...you know, Jimmy Carter country.

CM