PDA

View Full Version : A question about the H&R Topper/Handi

Gerry N.
02-15-2009, 07:30 PM
At the range this AM I spent half my time not shooting my H&R Topper .30-30, but chasing brass.

Does anyone know a fairly simple way to disable the kot-tam ejector on this thing?

The ejector does a Jim-Dandy job of discarding my brass, and I'd sure like to convert it to extract only. Even trying to catch the brass as it flies by is a monumental waste of time, as it simply bounces off either the heel of my hand or my forehead. [smilie=b:

Thanks,

Gerry N.

lonewolf5347
02-15-2009, 07:38 PM
http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,26264.0.html
scroll down the page to
CONVERSION OF EJECTOR TO EXTRACTOR

Gerry N.
02-15-2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks for the quick answer. That website is a doozy, I'm gonna be spending a few dozen hours surfing there in the next few weeks.

The ejector/extractor conversion is as easy as anything I've done to any of my rifles. Not having to duck the brass is a Godsend, not to mention being able to keep it without a search session after every shot.

Gerry N.

Mk42gunner
02-15-2009, 09:51 PM
Gerry,

I grew up shooting an H&R 410 shotgun. I got pretty good at thumbing the lever down and then using my thumb to stop the empty hull.

Robert

Gerry N.
02-15-2009, 11:34 PM
Gerry,
I grew up shooting an H&R 410 shotgun. I got pretty good at thumbing the lever down and then using my thumb to stop the empty hull.
Robert

I was sitting at a bench rest testing loads. Try juggling a rifle on a rest, tipping the muzzle down, thumbing the lever, attempting to catch the brass, all while not knocking a block of cartridges, a shooting box and a notebook onto the ground.

Wasn't happening. Now, after fifteen minutes of messing with the rifle, all I need to do is open the action and pick the empty off the extractor.

I did pretty much the same thing with my Ruger #1 forty years ago. I don't much care for automatic ejectors on single shots.

Gerry N.

northmn
02-16-2009, 06:51 AM
I have a shotgun with ejectors that I like, but the H&R's can be a little extreme. Had a case bounce off my forehead once that hurt. I think extractors may be alittle more positive if the cases want to stick.

Northmn

357maximum
02-16-2009, 09:38 PM
I actually was a dothead for a bit with my oldest H&R 30/30...hurt....I never have an issue unless I am bench shooting.

Silicon Wolverine
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
i converted my 45-70 as well. those cases HURT when they hit a guy.

SW

C A Plater
02-17-2009, 10:52 PM
I replaced the spring with one cut from some Brownells supplied coil spring stock. It still ejects them but only about a foot or so now and are real easy to catch in mid air. The original escaped during ejector reassembly after I cleaned up the too tight .38-55 chamber. Seemed like a good time to put in a gentler spring.

Gerry N.
02-18-2009, 01:07 AM
I was at my favorite gunshop today buying powder. While I was there I looked at, fondled, drooled on, then put a down payment on a new .45/70 Handi Rifle. I was pleased to note that, upon opening, the extractor behaved like a gentleman and only pushed out about 1/4", no nasty snapping. I'll stop in every few days as I accumulate spare change, to pay on my account until the rifle's paid for. Then the accessory accumulation begins, brass, dies, molds, sizers, yada, yada, yada. You all know the drill. Never owned nor shot a .45/70 before. Looking down that cavernous barrel, I could see possibilities of adventures and delights I have never imagined before.

Gerry N.

Junior1942
02-18-2009, 09:30 AM
Gerry, I did the exact same thing back in 2003. See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm

leftiye
02-18-2009, 04:52 PM
Point the muzzle up?

Gerry N.
02-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Gerry, I did the exact same thing back in 2003. See http://www.castbullet.com/shooting/1871.htm

I was born cheap and have suffered multiple relapses over the years, so I'll stick to a Lee mold. I'll cast some bullets to test with different loads to tell whether I need sizing dies before I spend money on those. I've already got a 310 tool, so I'll infest gun shows and online ad sites until I accumulate .45-70 dies. In the meantime, I'll most likely order a Lee Smack'em kit.

One other little thing. Take the bloody aperture out of that sight. It's fine for target shooting under ideal conditions, but for hunting it is a PITA. I think that's why Levi's and overalls have watch pockets, to put the aperture from a peep sight in while you're hunting.

Gerry N.