PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow Madness

jim4065
02-15-2009, 06:52 PM
I was thinking about buying a crossbow to play with. Saw a Browning Pegasus in Craigs List for $135 - but found out parts are hard to get.

Shopping around - I found this: http://crossbownation.com/store/product-info.php?pid187.html

For a crossbow? Might have to rethink retirement. [smilie=1:

fishhawk
02-15-2009, 06:57 PM
very seldom you find a crossbow under 300 bucks now. check out some pawn shops might be a used one there, thats where i found the wife's crossbow. steve k

leadeye
02-15-2009, 08:11 PM
I have an Exocet that I hunt late season with, very accurate but took a little getting used to in a stand because of how the limbs move. They are not as fast as the fastest compounds but give you a steady shot with less deer spooking movement. They really shine in cold weather.:-D

Johnch
02-15-2009, 09:56 PM
I have a OLDER Horton Hunter that I bought new in 1986 , slow by modern standards
But when the weather gets nasty and cold
I use it instead of the compound bow
As it is a lot easyer to cock it and pull the trigger with all the extra layers

As I use both a bow and X bow , Each has advantages
But the one in your link is crazy costly

Lots better choices at a lot less $$

John

hpdrifter
02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
one reason I quit bowhunting.

bobk
02-15-2009, 10:32 PM
The problem that I have with crossbows is that they're designed wrong. Having the bow horizontal is fine if you are shooting over the castle walls, but for traipsing through the woods, it would be more convenient to have the bow vertical, just as longbows and compounds are.

Bob K

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 12:18 AM
This'll cure what ails ya in the "long & wide" area.

http://www.crossbow.com/uploads/newrecon-1408-xl.jpg

The Horton Recon 175. They also sell a similar one called the VIsion (at least it was at the ATA show in Indy) that will cost about half as much.

Still more than a rifle and casting bolts that don't flex sucks.

'Course, there's always the Upper by PSE that fits on your AR Lower...

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Crossbow_Upper.jpg

http://www.pse-archery.com/prod.php?k=55444&u=01135

bobk
02-16-2009, 02:45 AM
Ah, it's a wee bit pricy, now. Anything for us folk in the cheap seats?

Bob K

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 11:06 AM
Ah, it's a wee bit pricy, now. Anything for us folk in the cheap seats? Bob K

Actually... yes... if you are handy. I have a scanned set of plans from a 1970s issue of Popular Mechanics that actually builds a pretty decent crossbow.

Not fancy, but certainly effective.

PM me if you want the PDF emailed.

leadeye
02-16-2009, 11:11 AM
That is a different look OI, never seen anything like it. Carrying the old Exocet has never been a problem until I cock it and climb up to a stand, in the tree is is clumsier than a compound. I sure like it when I am bundled up against the cold.:-D

Trapshooter
02-16-2009, 11:13 AM
When I get caught up on casting (LOL!), I plan to build the repeating cross bow from the old Popular Mechanics magazine article.

Another option for those of us in the cheap seats, who can't or don't want to do a total scratch build:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Do-It-Yourself/1984-09-01/The-Classic-Crossbow-You-Can-Build-Your-Own.aspx

At least back in the old days, Barret would sell component parts.

Trapshooter

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 11:50 AM
When I get caught up on casting (LOL!), I plan to build the repeating cross bow from the old Popular Mechanics magazine article. ...
Got that article too (1951) A Pump Action Crossbow... Pretty cool.

I lost the Mother Earth News one. That's a good one too. Thanks for the link. Their editoralizing about how "sinister" a weapon it is is annoying though...

buckshot&brass
02-16-2009, 12:34 PM
I have a Excalibur Exocet I really like.
It doesn't have cams or wheels that get out of tune.
I can change the string myself with out a bow press.
It's fairly fast at 330 Fps and quiet for a crossbow.
I recommend getting the package deal with the scope and cocking aid.
I actually can't risk shooting the same place twice messed up two arrows that way.

Archers Advantage in Little Rock,Ar may still carry them,they'll let you try one before you buy one.

joey02g
02-16-2009, 02:24 PM
I also shoot the Excalibur Exocet.

Tom Myers
02-16-2009, 03:16 PM
I Remember when we were just kids that my brother and his friend built that repeating pump action crossbow. They were both quite handy with tools and did an excellent job.

If I remember correctly, they used an aluminum bar for the bow. The bolts were quite short - almost like darts and fit in a spring loaded box magazine in the stock. It was not very powerful as the bow draw weight needed to be down to where one could cock it by pulling back on the slide, just like a shotgun.

But, by golly, it was fast and quite accurate. The two of them would go out in the hills with the bow and come back with squirrels and rabbits.

God, that was a long time ago. Things were so much better then than now.

Misty eyed again.
Tom Myers

Old Ironsights
02-16-2009, 03:34 PM
That's likely the '51-PopMex model just with a metal prod.

Charlie Sometimes
02-17-2009, 12:28 AM
Are you casting your own points for those things?