PDA

View Full Version : Poll Sub forum suggestion - cartridge sub forums in Favorite Cartridge.

10x
12-02-2023, 10:07 AM
Sub forum suggestion - cartridge sub forums in Favorite Cartridge.

This is only a suggestion that make make this forum easier to navigate.

I would like to see sub forums created for common cartridges like 9 mm, 38 special, 357, 44 mag, 45 colt, 45 ACP, 22 hornet, 223, 30-30, 308, 30/06, and 45/70
I realize this may put a bit of a load on the moderators but it would make the main forum less cluttered and give folks a chance to focus their questions on the cartridge of their choice.
A simple yes or no at the beginning of your reply - if you think this post is worthy of a reply - with the explanation later.

The reason I ask this is that I see the same questions asked about loads for a specific caliber with a specific cast bullet mold - mostly in the pistol calibers. I do shoot 22 hornet, 222 Rem, .223, 25 ACP, 9 mm, 38 Special, 44 Russian, 44 mag and a variety of rifle calibers using cast bullets.
It would be nice to have some of the discussion sorted by caliber
The favorite cartridge section is an incredible resource.
thank you to the moderators and administrators who take care of it.

Bazoo
12-02-2023, 11:54 AM
Yes. I could see having the most common calibers having their own subforum, such as 44 Special/44 Magnum and 9mm. Of course with a catchall forum for all the other calibers.

shell70634
12-02-2023, 12:10 PM
I would also like to see it, but only admin can weigh the work versus the benefit. Though the mods may get a raise out of it. (meant to be funny)

Hossfly
12-02-2023, 12:23 PM
Yes i think it would be benificial if your having problems with a particular caliber, would be easier to go to that forum and find discussions on maybe the very problem your having. Rather than searching thru the archives to find your answer.

farmbif
12-02-2023, 12:41 PM
I'm still thinking about a section dedicated to primers

Winger Ed.
12-02-2023, 11:01 PM
I would also like to see it, but only admin can weigh the work versus the benefit. Though the mods may get a raise out of it. (meant to be funny)

Yeah, and the pension/retirement plan ain't so great either.:bigsmyl2:

dverna
12-03-2023, 12:17 AM
Not sure the effort is worth it, so I voted no.

Getting the search function to work better would be a higher priority for me.

Winger Ed.
12-03-2023, 01:12 AM
I've used a regular search engine looking for things and it will often bring me back here to an
ancient or archived thread.

imashooter2
12-03-2023, 03:19 AM
This board already has far too many sub forums. For God sake STOP!!!!!

10x
12-04-2023, 09:09 AM
This board already has far too many sub forums. For God sake STOP!!!!!

So you do not support sub forums organized by cartridge designation like a loading manual to allow easier searches as well as focused discussion?

15meter
12-04-2023, 09:22 AM
I've used a regular search engine looking for things and it will often bring me back here to an
ancient or archived thread.

I search from outside the forum with "Castboolits" being part of the search string. I get much better results than the internal search engine. I'll usually search several times with different phrasing in the search string.

If I know a specific contributing member to a thread I'll include that as well. It seems to narrow down the search to what I'm looking for.

Cast10
12-04-2023, 09:48 AM
Searching inside the forum is no bueno. Out of all the forums I participate, this is the worst. And numbers even mess it up more! Maybe that’s why the poll…..

10x
12-04-2023, 10:48 AM
Searching inside the forum is no bueno. Out of all the forums I participate, this is the worst. And numbers even mess it up more! Maybe that’s why the poll…..

Part of the reason for the poll are questions such as " What is the most accurate load for "insert cartridge name" ?"
and "will "insert name of powder" be more accurate in my gun than "insert name of powder currently being used"?"

Individual forums for each cartridge would organize the discussion just a little bit.

Winger Ed.
12-04-2023, 04:21 PM
So you do not support sub forums organized by cartridge designation like a loading manual to allow easier searches as well as focused discussion?

I wouldn't.
If someone is looking for load data, that is well plowed ground, and easy to find all over the internet.

For cast, there is so much over lap of a given boolit working in different calibers,
the discussion aspect of a particular one would get lost in the crowd.

The sub-forums here for loading & shooting cast are arranged to leave room for multiple or single areas of discussion
for what boolits weights work in what bore dia., and what cartridges can do what as far as pushing them goes.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-04-2023, 04:36 PM
I'm with Ed. We've already got some specific areas to look at like "Black powder cartridges" and "Cast bullet Military Rifle loads." If you want to have a separate sub-forum for each cartridge of interest the index page will look like a reloading manual. Some of the less common cartridges will receive 4 or 5 posts and then dry up, whereas concerning some of the more popular cartridges much has already been said and can be found with a "search". Buying and consulting reloading manuals is a better idea.

DG

No_1
12-06-2023, 05:16 AM
This is similar to the old Lay’s Potato chip commercial. “If I give you one then I have to give everybody one”

If I do it in this area then I will be expected to do it in every other area no matter the topic. Imagine subforums in S&S for moulds, dies, pistols, rifles, lead, pewter, brass, ect. What a mess that would be…

The answer is no.

Beerd
12-06-2023, 01:57 PM
The answer is no.

time to lock this thread?

10x
12-06-2023, 06:54 PM
Why the need to lock this thread?

Winger Ed.
12-06-2023, 07:46 PM

Nah. Not as long as things don't get rowdy, and the forum rules are observed.

Bazoo
12-06-2023, 10:14 PM
Welp... I guess we rimmed cartridge enthusiasts will have to continue to see hoards of those new-fangled rimless cartridge posts.

Winger Ed.
12-06-2023, 10:25 PM
Welp... I guess we rimmed cartridge enthusiasts will have to continue to see hoards of those new-fangled rimless cartridge posts.

Yeah, that's OK. Those guys are tough, and they will adapt.
But I have nightmares that the new fad about powder coating will catch on, and those folks wanting a separate forum.

charlie b
12-06-2023, 10:33 PM
It will be a race to the finish, plastic coated bullets vs copper. Will the environmentalists mandate no plastics next or will the price of copper escalate beyond belief :)

Bazoo
12-07-2023, 12:01 AM
But I have nightmares that the new fad about powder coating will catch on, and those folks wanting a separate forum.

My biggest fear is having powder coated bullets fired in the salute over my body after I'm gone!

10x
12-07-2023, 06:26 AM

Smokeless powder and primers are a passing fad, you hardly see them on the shelves any more....

Winger Ed.
12-12-2023, 04:28 PM
Smokeless powder and primers are a passing fad, you hardly see them on the shelves any more....

Yeah. Probably so.
Somebody has prototypes of a modern and improved version of the old Gyro Jet pistol.
I waiting for it to take the world by storm........

rintinglen
12-16-2023, 12:59 PM
I'm in the solid "not only no, but heck no," category. I am interested in all calibers, even though I don't reload for them all. I don't care to look through dozens of forums to see all that I am interested in. And who knows, I might find something interesting in a post that I didn't expect to see there.

fa38
12-21-2023, 10:15 AM
sub forum individual caliber NO

jimb16
12-23-2023, 10:07 PM
I'm waiting for Biden to mandate rail guns since they use electric power instead of combustable powder!

10x
12-24-2023, 10:38 AM
I'm waiting for Biden to mandate rail guns since they use electric power instead of combustable powder!

We don't need a rail gun subforum - yet