PDA

View Full Version : can someone explain the benefits of paper patching.

joedapro
02-15-2009, 06:10 PM
i'm not familiar with this process and was curious of the process and reasons or benefits in doing so. thanks,
joe

NSP64
02-15-2009, 06:44 PM
cheap and easy:drinks:

zampilot
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
That's the way they used to make 'em!! High Cool Factor also.

docone31
02-15-2009, 07:45 PM
Paper patching gives me a chance to be a part of history. Although I am not matching the early techniques, and have come up with a way of my own, I can still take these essentially fireplace hangers, and put them on paper in respectable fashion.
I am far more comfortable with old school. The older rifles feel more natural. I never liked "black rifles", whatever that is, only owned one semi rifle in my life.
I get to feel the furniture, the lines, and the ammunition. It is completely hands on.
I also get much, much better case life paper patching. Traditionally, from what I have been reading, Smellys get about 5 loads per case, I already have 20 and just loaded another set.
I also have a bunch of Yuppie customers who tell me they are my friend. They all rushed out and got them Crunch em Tickers. We speak of shooting, and when I tell them about paper patching, they walk away.
I guess, in all, I get to walk away from the stress of my job, the people, take a divergent step backwards, and I get to feel like I am living history.

scb
02-15-2009, 08:00 PM
I've only PP'd one load but with what I feel was great success. It's a 9.3 x 74r, used the same powder charge as my jacketed bullet load, no lubing, no leading and better groups. Used a Saeco .358 boolit. Got to wait 'til spring to set chronograph up.

catboat
02-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Paper patching allows you to shoot dead soft lead bullets at decent velocities. Gas-checked bullets normally need to have increased hardness to shoot well. Increasing hardness may improve accuracy, but you lose expansion (and the bullet may fracture). The paper patched pure lead bullet will expand/mushroom beautifully, with minimal weight loss, and be able to be propelled at muzzle velocities that pure lead cast bullets can only dream about.

pdawg_shooter
02-16-2009, 09:20 AM
With a paper patched bullet you can equal or exceed jacketed bullet performance for a fraction of the price.