PDA

View Full Version : RE, Ranch Dog Primer test

44man
02-15-2009, 05:55 PM
You have seen my group with the RD 265 gr, .44 boolit. I loaded 5 with the Fed 150 primer and 5 with the WW primer to test today for fun. I shot 50 yd's as usual from bags.
I had a high shot with the WW primer that I blame on the rear bag--too loose for the shot. But the rest are normal for the hotter primer. Mag primers are worse. WW falls in between.
Then I shot 5 LBT 320 gr WLNGC boolits and the group is normal for the boolit.
I still have a hard time believing a tumble lube boolit stuffed with Felix lube can shoot so good.
I let bioman shoot the rest of my RD boolits up at 100 yd's and he tore up a can with every shot.

Four Fingers of Death
02-15-2009, 06:12 PM
Did you use Felix lube in lieu of the tumble lube, or in addition to? Nice groups.

44man
02-15-2009, 09:37 PM
Just Felix. I hate LLA or any Alox lube. 50-50 Alox beeswax will do OK but just does not give the accuracy I want.
A tumble lube boolit does just great with a regular lube.
This SBH has about 59,500 heavy loads and uncounted lighter loads through it. The edges of the forcing cone are badly pitted. I am thinking about getting the tools I need to set the barrel back a turn. I have many tools but need a frame wrench and facing cutter.

dubber123
02-15-2009, 09:50 PM
I have several tumble lube boolits, including the RD 165 RF .30 cal, and his .460" 425 gr. RF, and lube all of them conventionally in a sizer. As long as you don't need to size too small, I kind of like the TL design. It holds quite a bit of lube over a wide area.