PDA

View Full Version : Sad Experience Today!

deltaenterprizes
11-30-2023, 09:18 PM
I have been asked to help liquidate a friend’s collection of guns and reloading equipment because he had a stroke a while back and will not be able to use any of it.
I have known him for a while but we are not real close friends but I don’t think he has anybody knowledgeable in this area.
He has been abandoned by the people that he considered friends.
I plan on listing the items on this site because I am not acquainted with many people that reload in the area and the gunsmith that I did business with has decided to close down his shop because of personal problems.

StuBach
11-30-2023, 09:23 PM
You are a good man for helping a friend in need through that process. This hobby breeds a special group of people like yourself who will jump in and help when needed. Kudos to you.

Minerat
11-30-2023, 09:25 PM
I would suggest you contact No_1 regarding this plan to get his input on how it should be done.

kungfustyle
11-30-2023, 09:26 PM
Sad indeed. You find out who your friends are when money or adversity comes into play. Best of luck on everything, but I'm sure you won't have much of an issue selling things in the Swapping and Selling thread.

gc45
11-30-2023, 10:03 PM
May I ask, who is #1 and why must the OP ask this person before listing items? is that a new rule now on CB?

cwtebay
11-30-2023, 10:07 PM
I don't envy your task!
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, I hope you do well with his sales.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

11th Corps
11-30-2023, 10:09 PM
I've had several folks I know who have passed in the last few months all unexpectedly. It has made me decide to not keep renewing my stash of the several calibers I load and shoot. I will get that stash down and then only load what I will be shooting in the next month.
To the OP, good luck. My lgs that I had dealt with for years closed down during Covid. I go to other gun shops but they just don't feel like "home".

contender1
11-30-2023, 10:29 PM
May I ask, who is #1 and why must the OP ask this person before listing items? is that a new rule now on CB?

#1 is the owner & moderator of this Forum. His house,, his rules.

But as noted,, things can be listed here as long as they follow the already posted rules.

contender1
11-30-2023, 10:31 PM
The story of having a person in need of liquidating gun related stuff is not a new one. And yes,, some people do take advantage of others,, while the good people genuinely want to help. I have had to help a few families myself in their quest of doing the liquidation. I must be doing it right,, as they all have been quite appreciative of my efforts. I'm sure you'll do just fine by this gentleman.

BK7saum
11-30-2023, 10:45 PM
PM sent.

Bazoo
11-30-2023, 11:52 PM
Sad to hear of it.

Minerat
12-01-2023, 12:07 AM

No_1 is the owner of Cast Boolits and you do not need his permission if you follow the rules of 5 post per month, no more than 5 ads open at any-one-time, limited to 10 items per post. But he has helped out in the past in these situations. Just a suggestion is all.

jsizemore
12-01-2023, 01:57 PM
There's a silhouette crowd in Houston called Bayou Rifles. You might try contacting them. They know folks around the state and La. that may be interested in your friends stuff. It's worth a shot.

Tatume
12-01-2023, 02:51 PM
No_1 is the owner of Cast Boolits and you do not need his permission if you follow the rules of 5 post per month, no more than 5 ads open at any-one-time, limited to 10 items per post. But he has helped out in the past in these situations. Just a suggestion is all.

I second this advice. No.1 can be very helpful.

WILCO
12-01-2023, 02:52 PM
Just a suggestion is all.

Valid one too.

Winger Ed.
12-01-2023, 03:33 PM
Get ahold of No_1. In my dealings with him, he's always been more than fair.
There's another guy doing the same thing on S&S for a buddy of his that has fallen out of formation.

45DUDE
12-01-2023, 04:08 PM
We must have the same friend. I haven't the room for things his son wont's me to list. He's not computer savvy.

BamaNapper
12-01-2023, 05:38 PM
As I put on the years, and since none of the kids are into hunting or shooting, I've been having similar thoughts concerning my guns, ammo, and reloading gear. I've discussed it with my wife a couple times. We belong to a local club with maybe 300 members. I'm thinking the easiest way to liquidate everything would be an auction through the club. That way, perhaps the guns end up in the closets of people I've had the pleasure of shooting with. It would eliminate the hassle of listing, packing, and shipping. My wife could even do it if something happened to me suddenly.

deltaenterprizes
12-02-2023, 11:58 AM
I would suggest you contact No_1 regarding this plan to get his input on how it should be done.
I do intend to do that!

deltaenterprizes
12-02-2023, 12:01 PM

#1 is the owner of the site and if you exceed the limit of items posted for sale it can cause a problem or you may have to become a sponsor and pay a fee.

deltaenterprizes
12-02-2023, 12:07 PM
As I put on the years, and since none of the kids are into hunting or shooting, I've been having similar thoughts concerning my guns, ammo, and reloading gear. I've discussed it with my wife a couple times. We belong to a local club with maybe 300 members. I'm thinking the easiest way to liquidate everything would be an auction through the club. That way, perhaps the guns end up in the closets of people I've had the pleasure of shooting with. It would eliminate the hassle of listing, packing, and shipping. My wife could even do it if something happened to me suddenly.
I will have the same problem when I get in poor health! I hope to have the foresight to get rid of most things before it becomes a burden to my wife if I go before her!
A friend did liquidate his reloading stuff and gave his guns to his son before he became home bound.

Land Owner
12-03-2023, 04:13 AM
Word of Caution..........

From the perspective of currently selling the remnants of multiple estates, it is not a stretch to describe the "personal wear and tear" on an able-bodied person related to the grind of moving, storage, day-to-day security, advertising, person-to-person sales, boxing, sealing, shipping, communication, and inventory control, to name only a few stressors. As the days stretch into months and (in my case) years, this (meaning me) ordinary Office Drone went from a state of euphoria to the drudgery and weariness associated with vying with A LOT of people that want something for nothing.

If you have not already, you will encounter the "Flea Market mentality" of the buying public. The "you should lower your price to spread the wealth" mentality. If you are not already "familiar" with interfacing with the General Public (I was not) - get ready! There are an awful lot of "pity-party" criers out there with loud voices trying to wear you down - and it WILL over time - so prepare yourself.

I think I would have been better off if I had had a store front from which to sell. That would have extended the overhead quite a bit though. While you do not want to exclude anyone, there are those you would have been better off not having dealt with, but you won't know until it is over and they have left their mark. The experience will give you a much keener understanding of Retail Sales, even if your prices are not those.

Don't invite them to your house. That's not a safe way to sell. Meet them somewhere, as I did. Take a friend to watch your back. Get paperwork for the transfer of guns - receipts, copy data from valid Driver's License, Firearm permit, etc. One for you. One for them.

While it was not "quite" this neat (below) until later, sales staged from a storage unit were much "nicer" after I found some metal library book-shelves (picked up at a garage sale for $10, and resold later for $100) and four drawer filing cabinets, which I kept.

https://i.postimg.cc/nhrRmsdz/STORAGE.jpg

https://i.postimg.cc/RF8xLRjP/image011.jpg

Idaho45guy
12-03-2023, 06:46 AM
I'm in the same boat with my late father's estate. I inherited over 20 firearms with a value over $100k. Those are easy to deal with compared with all of the dies, cases, bullets, etc. after 60 years of collecting. Much was lost in the fire, but much is salvageable with a bit of elbow grease.

I started listing his dozens of Fenwick saltwater fly-fishing reels on Ebay and it became a nightmare. I had no idea of values or conditions. I posted a ton of photos and explicitly stated that I knew nothing about the items but could take more photos if requested. It became a full-time job responding to emails, packaging and shipping items, and trying to keep track of who won what.

I have sold some brass on here to members and it was pretty easy because the brass was still in the factory packaging and hard to find. I found a boot box full of brass and loaded cartridges from .22 LR to .458 Win Mag.

I picked out the 375 H&H mag cases and gave the rest to the neighbor kid who is getting into reloading and infatuated with different calibers...

I'm sure I gave away a couple of hundred bucks worth of brass and components, but the hours it would have taken me to sort everything and then clean it, list it, and ship it was just not worth it to me.

I have dozens of RCBS dies, in some very rare and unique calibers, that were smoke and water damaged. I bought a gallon of a solution that should restore them to working condition. I have no idea of the value of such dies, but I would like to keep a few for my own use. I also rescued a couple dozen bullet molds in various calibers. The only calibers I am interesting in keeping is .50 cal and .45 cal.

I will eventually get to the rest of them to list and sell either on Gunbroker.com, or here.

I have thousands of items that I don't want/need that will need to be cleaned, catalogued, and sold. It will take me years to get through it all.

Shawlerbrook
12-03-2023, 07:52 AM
Very admirable to help a friend in need but unless you really have the time you might want to consider suggesting an auction firm that specializes in this area. We are lucky here in Central NYS to have such a company (Hessney’s). Shipping and shipping costs are a major pain these days.

deltaenterprizes
12-03-2023, 09:07 AM
We started the inventory yesterday and unloaded and secured all of the firearms. Showed his work how to work the safe and made a list of the firearms and caliber.
I grouped the ammunition by caliber and identified the containers on the outside so that we don’t have to open each one to see what is in there.
I have dealt with the public for a long time, I did gun shows for 12 years and have worked retail a few times.
I appreciate the warning about the something for nothing crowd and I am familiar with them.
It’s going to be a slow process because I have recently started working a full time job, something that I have not done in at least 20 years or more and it surely puts a crimp in my social life!
Thanks for the replies!

shooterg
12-03-2023, 05:01 PM
3 words. AUCTION AUCTION AUCTION (online). One local auctioneer does very well with these type of estates and even with his added percent, the estate does well and you have no headaches with billing/shipping/transfers.

Gator 45/70
12-04-2023, 09:47 PM
Helped liquidate a friends stuff well most of it anyways Tupperware9mm was his name.
He had something like 16 bricks of primers, Lotsa powder jacked projectiles as well
Sold most but still have a few dies and have some money here for his wife.
Big pain in the neck but the woman needed the money.

SeabeeMan
12-04-2023, 09:53 PM
I would recommend what Shooterg did above. Look into estate auctioneers and in my area, many of them will do a 2-3 times a year sporting goods sale. They'll take possession of the items with full inventory and receipts, take care of all the listing online, and then proceeds and unsold items come back, minus their fees. I don't know what kind of fees they take off the sales, but I know an "auction fee" of 12.5% is added to the sale for the one I keep an eye on.