PDA

View Full Version : Tumbling My Balls

MSGuy
11-29-2023, 03:36 PM
I’m getting ready to cast .457 balls for my Ruger Old Armies because the person I was buying them from is out of the lead business. The balls he sent me were bright and shiny and stayed that way, other balls I’ve gotten get a layer of oxidation on them, they shoot ok, but I get tired of having oxidized lead on everything. I know he tumbled them, but what I don’t know is if there should be some grit or other additive in the tumbler.

Winger Ed.
11-29-2023, 03:55 PM
It sounds like the dull gray ones are pure Lead and have tarnished.
The shiny ones may have some Tin in them or are coated in some sort of quick liquid wash.

I'd think that tumbling them will ding them up as they bump against each other.

HWooldridge
11-29-2023, 03:59 PM
I have tumbled cast lead balls against themselves, and they turn gray during the process. Most any type of media will imbed itself into the lead. I have not tried it but a vinegar soak might remove the oxidation.

Brassmonkey
11-29-2023, 04:04 PM
Graphite?

Elpatoloco
11-29-2023, 04:15 PM
Graphite?I am letting mold cool and reading. Came here to post this. I cast these 00 buck 15 to 20 years ago. Tumbled in graphite. Still on my bench. I dunno how graphite would do in actual bullets touching the barrel. I'd powdercoat them now dayshttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20231129/dd101734307792a9b7f9e73bbcaf4f10.jpg

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

jdgabbard
11-29-2023, 06:04 PM
I actually have a bunch of 45cal balls I just tumbled with some #4 buck to help round them out. These were .451 balls though... They're cast of 50/50+2%. Not sure what size your cylinders are bored, but if you can use .451 I'd be happy to send you some. I also have .454 mold, I could cast you some up and do the same. But that's all assuming you can use the balls in that alloy at those sizes....

Back to your question, just graphite. You don't really need anything else while tumbling them. The balls turning in the mill essentially have the top layer impregnated with the graphite powder, and it helps to smooth out irregularities. You can use graphite for door locks, or even just pencil lead....

waksupi
11-30-2023, 12:15 PM
When you have cast your bullets, put them in a container of soapy water. Dump them out, and let them dry. The soap layer prevents the oxidation of the lead.

2TM101
11-30-2023, 01:33 PM
I was actually going to start using clear powdercoat, but this sounds cheaper, faster & easier. And yet another use for Dawn dish soap

Gewehr-Guy
11-30-2023, 07:54 PM
When I made shot, or found reclaimed shot, I put it in a plastic food container with some liquid floor wax and swirled it around until well coated. Once dry it was clean too handle, and lubricated. Went through a shotshell loader much smoother. If I had some dusty balls I'd give them a swirl, they would be clean and slick,with less exposure to nasty lead oxide.

Barry54
12-01-2023, 10:26 AM
and it helps to smooth out irregularities. You can use graphite for door locks, or even just pencil lead....[/QUOTE]

I was wanting to try this. I’ve got an 18 cavity Lee buckshot mold and don’t like how much the sprue cutter takes off the top ball. I’ve got hopes that a Marty’s buckshot mold will show up under the Christmas tree. Since the sprue will be cut off by hand, I was hopeful tumbling afterwards would smooth them up.

How long did you tumble yours?

Plate plinker
12-01-2023, 10:35 AM
I was thinking of tumbling buckshot as well. They have that nasty protrusion where they were connected together. I await your results.

MSGuy
12-01-2023, 03:00 PM
I actually have a bunch of 45cal balls I just tumbled with some #4 buck to help round them out. These were .451 balls though... They're cast of 50/50+2%. Not sure what size your cylinders are bored, but if you can use .451 I'd be happy to send you some. I also have .454 mold, I could cast you some up and do the same. But that's all assuming you can use the balls in that alloy at those sizes....

Back to your question, just graphite. You don't really need anything else while tumbling them. The balls turning in the mill essentially have the top layer impregnated with the graphite powder, and it helps to smooth out irregularities. You can use graphite for door locks, or even just pencil lead....

Thanks for the offer but the ROA’s take a .457. I’m also casting with pure lead since I’ve got to stuff them with the rammer on the gun.

I’m going to try the graphite and see how they do.

jdgabbard
12-01-2023, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the offer but the ROA’s take a .457. I’m also casting with pure lead since I’ve got to stuff them with the rammer on the gun.

I’m going to try the graphite and see how they do.

No problem, I don’t really need them but for tumbling buckshot.

That said, less is more with graphite. Too much and the’ll be powdery and make a mess. It doesn’t take much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MSGuy
12-01-2023, 03:02 PM
Thanks to everyone who have replied. For some reason I only got notified of one reply. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:

15meter
12-01-2023, 03:55 PM
And if you need graphite, do a search for: planter plate lubricant

Probably the cheapest way to get it, Like 8 pounds for $12. Several hundred lifetime supplies. For $12.

Elpatoloco
12-01-2023, 05:38 PM
And if you need graphite, do a search for:planter plate lubricant

Probably the cheapest way to get it, Like 8 pounds for $12. Several hundred lifetime supplies. For $12.

I purchased a small tube at walmarts. Says its for lubricating door locks. Never even put a dent in it and my boys shot buckshot 8 days a week at varmints having lived on a farm in West Texas.

It sure doesnt take much

45workhorse
12-02-2023, 12:57 AM
Freshly cast round balls in a plastic peanut butter jar and a quick shot of wd40 or similar, put a lid on them, shake, shiny balls for a good while!

WRideout
12-04-2023, 11:25 AM
When I cast 50 cal round balls of pure lead they came out shiny, almost looking as if plated. I stored them in a plastic tub with a lid, and they stayed that way for several years.

Wayne

racepres
12-04-2023, 12:18 PM
"Tumbling My Balls"

Ouch!!!!!!

jdfoxinc
12-04-2023, 12:51 PM
Ouch!

slim1836
12-04-2023, 12:51 PM
When you have cast your bullets, put them in a container of soapy water. Dump them out, and let them dry. The soap layer prevents the oxidation of the lead.

Good tip, thanks. Will it keep the barrel clean too?

Slim

45workhorse
12-05-2023, 07:08 PM
Good tip, thanks. Will it keep the barrel clean too?

Slim

nope just the lead balls:kidding:

MSGuy
12-06-2023, 02:08 PM
"Tumbling My Balls"

Ouch!!!!!!

Got your attention :-D

MSGuy
12-06-2023, 02:09 PM
"Tumbling My Balls"

Ouch!!!!!!

Ouch!