PDA

View Full Version : need to make up a 'cows knee' for this weekend.

hc18flyer
11-29-2023, 10:57 AM
We have light rain or snow in the weekends forecast. years ago I made one for my flint smoothbore, works fine on my TC percussion. Need to sew an extra up for my Grandson. It sucks to have a good shot present itself and hear that 'sickening pop' of just your cap going off! Lots of pictures on line. Be a good project for around the campfire Friday afternoon. Can't wait for 'DEER Camp', favorite time of the year! hc18flyer

Sasquatch-1
11-29-2023, 11:34 AM
I take it this is the same as a lock cover. I have seen a couple of patterns on line.

Tatume
11-29-2023, 12:26 PM
I just cut a piece of leather, punched a couple of holes, and tied it on with a shoelace knot. Works like a champ. You can also accomplish a lot of good by using grease to make a dam that will channel water away from your pan.

waksupi
11-29-2023, 12:54 PM
I use a piece of wool blanket, enough to fold over the breech area, plus another 6-8" overlap on barrel and wrist ends, and hang maybe six inches below the gun. No attachment. I carry with the gun cradled, and my arm and hand holds it in place. I tried cows knees over the years, and didn't find them nearly as effective as the wool.

scattershot
11-29-2023, 04:19 PM
Ugly, but effective. I used to use sandwich bags over my percussion lock T/C.

HWooldridge
11-29-2023, 04:38 PM
Piece of treated canvas duck works well. Thompson's Water Seal is fine for at least one season, then can be reapplied. Mink oil works, too.