PDA

View Full Version : Lath work needed

TNsailorman
11-28-2023, 01:31 PM
I am not sure this is the right place to put this.
I have a repriming punch from a MEC 400 Super Speed that is for a 12 gauge size. It started out as .390" in diameter and I have been trying to reduce the diameter to .360 to use for 16 gauge. It was on my dad's old reloader and I am trying to restore it. I have put about 12 to 16 hours or more into trying to sand it down to size (using a vice and turn and sand, turn and sand) and it is really slow going and using up sandpaper by the sheet. I need someone with a lath to turn it down to the .360" diameter, it is currently .372". The cut would need to be for about 2.340" in length, of course it would need to be centered up to do so. The 3 local machine shops are busy with large industrial orders and don't won't to do it for me. One stated that their insurance company had forbidden them to work on anything related to guns, reloading machines, car engines, or airplane parts. So, is there anyone willing to turn this reloader piece down for me if I mailed it to them and paid postage and work time? james[smilie=s:

uscra112
11-28-2023, 01:38 PM
Can you post a photo of the part?

marvelshooter
11-28-2023, 02:26 PM
I might be interested in helping you. As noted above a picture would be helpful.

JimB..
11-28-2023, 02:27 PM
If it’s an inexpensive part, chuck it in drill and while spinning it run it lightly across a running grinder stone. Then sand and polish.

If irreplaceable I’d still chuck it up and use emory cloth to reduce it.

HWooldridge
11-28-2023, 02:35 PM
I can probably help you if nobody is closer. I have two lathes and a tool post grinder (if it is a hardened pin).

TNsailorman
11-28-2023, 03:00 PM
Pictures of part. 320407. 320408. 320409 Sorry about the poor pictures and crude drawing but I am computer challenged. The second photo from the left is the end on of the tool that needs to be reduced from about .370-.372" to .360 or .356" to fit inside a 16 gauge hull. I can polish it myself after its diameter is reduced. james

BLAHUT
11-28-2023, 03:05 PM
I am not sure this is the right place to put this.
I have a repriming punch from a MEC 400 Super Speed that is for a 12 gauge size. It started out as .390" in diameter and I have been trying to reduce the diameter to .360 to use for 16 gauge. It was on my dad's old reloader and I am trying to restore it. I have put about 12 to 16 hours or more into trying to sand it down to size (using a vice and turn and sand, turn and sand) and it is really slow going and using up sandpaper by the sheet. I need someone with a lath to turn it down to the .360" diameter, it is currently .372". The cut would need to be for about 2.340" in length, of course it would need to be centered up to do so. The 3 local machine shops are busy with large industrial orders and don't won't to do it for me. One stated that their insurance company had forbidden them to work on anything related to guns, reloading machines, car engines, or airplane parts. So, is there anyone willing to turn this reloader piece down for me if I mailed it to them and paid postage and work time? james[smilie=s:

Chuck in a drill press and use a file or die grinder, Just go slow ??

jdgabbard
11-28-2023, 03:20 PM
Chuck in a drill press and use a file or die grinder, Just go slow ??

This. I do this kind of stuff all the time to make custom parts. Had to do it just the other day to turn down the neck diameter of a lee trim gauge for the 7.62x25 while making brass from .223. Takes a little time with a file and some fine sand paper, but you can make nice parts with very little fuss.

TNsailorman
11-28-2023, 05:14 PM
This a great site. I ask for help on my repriming punch and I have had at least 3 people step up and offer help. Thanks you very much fellows and the punch is packaged and ready to ship tomorrow to "marvelshooter". Also Thanks to HWooldridge for his offer and to the other fellow who offered by private mail. Also, Thanks to the people who offered suggestions. I have always said and will continue to say, this is the very best reloading and shooting site anywhere. james