PDA

View Full Version : 348/40 Krag?

ammohead
01-23-2006, 11:26 PM
Bought a all numbers match Krag carbine with a sewer pipe for a bbl. Let my mind wander a bit and was thinking that if it don't, won't, can't shoot as is maybe I could have it bored to a larger caliber on the same case. Anyone know of such a beast? Doesn't have to be 348 diameter, I just have some moulds and it would be unique.

ammohead

onceabull
01-23-2006, 11:35 PM
Ammohead: Not seen the 348 Krag.but in those long ago times of my youth, I hunted the other side of the Sierra's from you with grandad and a fellow who shot a 35 Krag, and never heard an ill word from him about it. So, go for it whenever it feels right !! Onceabull

NVcurmudgeon
01-24-2006, 12:49 AM
ammohead, congrats on the Krag. Now I can stop worryng about you making me an offer I can't refuse on mine! BTW, the pristine barrel slugs .309" and shoots very well so far.

StarMetal
01-24-2006, 12:57 AM
When one has an all numbers matching unaltered original rifle like the so mentioned Krag, it would be a shame to bore it or rebarrel. Rather you should buy one that's not matching. Those Krags are getting to be rare collector pieces.

Joe

Bullshop
01-24-2006, 01:13 AM
I once had a 375/30-40 IMP. I was crowding 375 H&H factory performance, but the action was Siamese mauser. You would prolly have to back off from what the mauser was doing but still should make a nice cartridge. Sold the old siamese to the Axman in Missoula Mt. Maybe Mt. Giani knows where it got to. Any body down in Missoula run into that 375/30-40 IMP?
BIC/BS

ammohead
01-24-2006, 09:19 AM
ammohead, congrats on the Krag. Now I can stop worryng about you making me an offer I can't refuse on mine! BTW, the pristine barrel slugs .309" and shoots very well so far.

I knew you would be pleased. The last owner had it hanging in the rafters of his mountain cabin. Shame that he refinished and varithaned the stock, bead blasted the steel and wheel polished the bolt and rear sight. It looks nice, but cheesy. All parts are there and there are no d&t anywhere, but it will take some work to make it look original again.

Starmetal,
Not much into wall hangers. In its present condition it has no collector value, and if I am going to go to that much trouble to restore it I am going to want to shoot it. I haven't given up on cleaning the bbl yet. It is a long a tedious process. It may shoot cast as is. If it does I will leave it as a 30. If not I will rebore it.

ammohead