PDA

View Full Version : 1896 Krag carbine

JRLesan
11-25-2023, 08:42 AM
Would the muzzle have been blued or in the white originally???

Der Gebirgsjager
11-25-2023, 05:21 PM
I have, and have had, quite a few Krags, including a '96 carbine. Honestly, I can't answer your question (but I think I know why you asked it...) as almost every Krag I've owned that hadn't been reblued and having the original barrel have shiny muzzles. That doesn't mean that they left the arsenal that way, as frequent enthusiastic cleaning with military bore cleaner will remove bluing before very long. Since the newest Krag is 120 years old, mint specimens with pristine barrels are few and far between. It seems logical that they would have been blued, as why blue a rifle and then polish off the muzzle? Perhaps you have or are looking at a nice '96 Carbine specimen with a shiny muzzle that seems out of place, and you're speculating that the barrel might have been cut down to make an ersatz carbine, or the barrel replaced. I wouldn't let that one thing talk me out of buying the rifle if everything else checks out as to markings in the metal, wood and furniture, etc. A great aid in determining authenticity is the book "The Krag Rifle" by Wm. Brophy which goes into great detail about almost every conceivable feature of the rifle. I've read it cover to cover a number of times, but never have seen the question addressed that you ask.

DG

Mk42gunner
11-25-2023, 08:29 PM
I don't know for sure on the 1896, but my 1899 Carbine made in 1901 IIRC has the end of the barrel matching the rest.

Original finish? Dunno, but it looks right to me.

Robert

JRLesan
11-26-2023, 09:32 AM
Thank you; I bought my carbine 30 years ago and only recently took a close look at it. It's packed with cosmoline and, in disassembling it and cleaning it up to shoot wondered about the muzzle which is blue. Many of my Winchesters left the factory with muzzles in the white and I was just wondering. I'm pretty sure mine is in 'as issued' condition as even the bolt face retains 100% bluing. The stock has the rifles serial number penciled in and the cartouches are pretty much pristine. Can't believe anyone would go to that kind of trouble to restore an old Krag.