PDA

View Full Version : 1885 Winchester

wch
11-25-2023, 04:45 AM
Do I have to use an FFL licensed dealer to sell an 1885 Winchester rifle built on an original Winchester action?

Shawlerbrook
11-25-2023, 05:59 AM
Depends on what state you are doing the deal in.

cwtebay
11-25-2023, 09:03 AM
By built on - does that mean it's an original 1885? Or are parts of it original, other parts a rebuild? I would call your local ATF&E office before taking much advice.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

square butte
11-25-2023, 09:30 AM
Date of Manufacture by serial number - Not model date, determines whether or not it falls into the Antique category. In much of the country, antiques do not require an FFL - HOWEVER do your own research and/or check withe the BATFE

Chill Wills
11-27-2023, 07:11 PM
Date of Manufacture by serial number - Not model date, determines whether or not it falls into the Antique category. In much of the country, antiques do not require an FFL - HOWEVER do your own research and/or check withe the BATFE

^^^^^^^^^ This is exactly right. Good advice. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

1898 is the year, The SN is on the lower tang. To convert the SN to a date for the M-1885 might be found online but, PM me if you can't find an answer.

wv109323
11-27-2023, 09:36 PM
There is also the controversy of ship date versus manufacture date. Some firearms were built and did not ship till years later. Also manufacturers did not ship in consecutive serial number order. I think for antique and C&R purposes the ship date is what is used by BATFE.
After the GC Act of 1968, it cleared up a lot of the questions. A firearm had to have a serial number when the frame was fully machined. And inventory reduction, the ship date is much closer to the manufacture date.